Sign in to follow this  
titans04

OT:Mets have new suitors: Devils and Sixers owners Josh Harris and David Blitzer

Posted (edited)

https://www.nj.com/mets/2020/06/mets-have-new-suitors-devils-and-sixers-owners-josh-harris-and-david-blitzer.html

A new name is in the mix to buy the New York Mets: New Jersey Devils and Philadelphia 76ers co-owner Josh Harris. That’s according to Variety, which reports Harris is working with David Blitzer, a minority owner in the Devils and Sixers, on a potential bid for the Mets.  The Mets have retained Steve Greenberg at Allen & Co. to oversee the sale process. Greenberg declined to comment, as did a spokeswoman for Harris. Talks are still in the early stages, said one of the people, who was granted anonymity because the matter is private.

Edited by titans04

This has been all over social media for the past hour and a lot of people there are freaking out saying they are going to "ruin" the Mets like they have ruined the Devils.

1) I don't think they ruined the Devils and 2) I do not think they know/realize how awful the Wilpons are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

This has been all over social media for the past hour and a lot of people there are freaking out saying they are going to "ruin" the Mets like they have ruined the Devils.

1) I don't think they ruined the Devils and 2) I do not think they know/realize how awful the Wilpons are.

Those are probably idiot Rag fans who live in some delusional fantasy land where the Devils are ruined, as Rag fans tend to live most of their existences in a delusional fantasy land. It’s what allows them to believe their franchise is like the Yankees..... what they forget is the legendary HOF players, and championships, and the fact that the Yankees have managed a tiny bit better than one title since the invention of the TV.

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

The Mets are already ruined, how much worse could they do?

• Like 1

I’d be fully on board with them buying the Mets.  

• Like 1

not a mets fan but if i was, i'd be happy with anyone with deep pockets which HBSE most certainly have.

and sorry, these guys get a bad rap, but any time $ was NEEDED to be spent, there was absolutely no question.

• Like 5

Is there anyone that owns 3 pro teams in 3 different leagues? 

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Is there anyone that owns 3 pro teams in 3 different leagues? 

if you are talking of the 4 major US sports, one.

kroenke has 3 (avs, rams, nuggets)

MLSE owns leafs/raptors

pegula owns bills/buffalo

HBSE owns sixers/devils

Dolan owns Knicks/Rangers

reinsdorf white sox/bulls

benson - saints/pelicans

leonsis - caps/wizards

i think paul allen's wife now owns seahakws/trailblazers

Edited by sundstrom

As a Mets fan, and obviously a Devils fan, I wouldn't mind this.  Maybe that team will finally get straightened out.

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Those are probably idiot Rag fans who live in some delusional fantasy land where the Devils are ruined, as Rag fans tend to live most of their existences in a delusional fantasy land. It’s what allows them to believe their franchise is like the Yankees..... what they forget is the legendary HOF players, and championships, and the fact that the Yankees have managed a tiny bit better than one title since the invention of the TV.

These were Devils fans who were posting in Devils fan FB groups and their profile was them wearing Devils gear lol.

11 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

The Mets are already ruined, how much worse could they do?

Yeah I don't think there are many owners who are worse than the Wilpons.  They are in the Melnyk level of terrible.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:
13 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

These were Devils fans who were posting in Devils fan FB groups and their profile was them wearing Devils gear lol.

Well then.... I stand corrected lol.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

As a Mets fan, and obviously a Devils fan, I wouldn't mind this.  Maybe that team will finally get straightened out.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah I don't think there are many owners who are worse than the Wilpons.  They are in the Melnyk level of terrible.

What's sad is that even though BVW (who isn't nearly as good of a GM as he loves to think he is) has pretty much emptied out much of the farm, there's currently some good (and likable) talent at the MLB level.  But the team will need cash to put any kind of multi-year run of relevance together.  And sundstrom is right, the Devils' owners often get slammed unfairly.  They've always put money into the on-ice product and the building.  It's not their fault that Shero wanted to maintain payroll flexibility for as long as he could...if Ray had decided to change course and go after some costly UFAs, I don't think ownership would have stopped him...they did let him take on PK's money, and I think they would've happily paid up for Hall.  They seem to give their GMs plenty of freedom to build as they see fit (though it looked like their patience wore out when 2019-20 quickly became another punting in the making).

Re:  the Wilpons...Fred's no swell guy, but it's really Jeffy that's pure pond scum.  Came out not so long ago that the other owners want no part of Jeffy ever sitting at the big boy table as the big cheese.  Jeffy's sadly that completely oblivious a$$hole who doesn't realize that everyone thinks he's a joke without a punchline.  And he's the worst kind of owner because he's forever living under the delusion that he's a baseball man, so he's a constant meddler who insists on getting in the way and being a part of personnel decision-making.  Basically, DM84 is 100% right...Harris and Blitzer would represent a HUGE upgrade over the Wilpons.  We Met fans dream of two things every season:  contending, and the friggin' Wilpons finally selling the team.  And not always in that order.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

What's sad is that even though BVW (who isn't nearly as good of a GM as he loves to think he is) has pretty much emptied out much of the farm, there's currently some good (and likable) talent at the MLB level.  But the team will need cash to put any kind of multi-year run of relevance together.  And sundstrom is right, the Devils' owners often get slammed unfairly.  They've always put money into the on-ice product and the building.  It's not their fault that Shero wanted to maintain payroll flexibility for as long as he could...if Ray had decided to change course and go after some costly UFAs, I don't think ownership would have stopped him...they did let him take on PK's money, and I think they would've happily paid up for Hall.  They seem to give their GMs plenty of freedom to build as they see fit (though it looked like their patience wore out when 2019-20 quickly became another punting in the making).

Re:  the Wilpons...Fred's no swell guy, but it's really Jeffy that's pure pond scum.  Came out not so long ago that the other owners want no part of Jeffy ever sitting at the big boy table as the big cheese.  Jeffy's sadly that completely oblivious a$$hole who doesn't realize that everyone thinks he's a joke without a punchline.  And he's the worst kind of owner because he's forever living under the delusion that he's a baseball man, so he's a constant meddler who insists on getting in the way and being a part of personnel decision-making.  Basically, DM84 is 100% right...Harris and Blitzer would represent a HUGE upgrade over the Wilpons.  We Met fans dream of two things every season:  contending, and Wilpons finally selling the team.  And not always in that order.

Yeah I don't get fans who pin the struggles of the team on the owners.  In the past 12 months they have agreed to take on $9M a year player to score 18 points, gave $4M a year to a guy who has never played an NHL game before, and $7M+ extension for 7 years to another player.  How is that penny-pinching?  I think a lot of fans are just unfairly taking it out on them because 1) they bought just as the previous decade+ of bad signings and drafting finally caught up to them and 2) they are displacing their anger over other changes the owners have made (de-Deviling the arena, changing the goal song, etc).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Yeah I don't get fans who pin the struggles of the team on the owners.  In the past 12 months they have agreed to take on $9M a year player to score 18 points, gave $4M a year to a guy who has never played an NHL game before, and $7M+ extension for 7 years to another player.  How is that penny-pinching?  I think a lot of fans are just unfairly taking it out on them because 1) they bought just as the previous decade+ of bad signings and drafting finally caught up to them and 2) they are displacing their anger over other changes the owners have made (de-Deviling the arena, changing the goal song, etc).

And in the case of the bolded, it's not likely that Harris and Blitzer said "We need to change the goal song."  Chances are they had some group advising them, and H & B probably just said, "OK, go ahead and change it...we've got much bigger things to worry about than some goal song."  The problem is that sometimes these advisers (who rarely REALLY know their research subjects) do some strictly forensic studies and come to the wrong conclusions.  With the goal song, they assumed Bon Jovi (being from here) would have Jerseyans everywhere losing their minds with excitement...like I've said many times, that decision reeked of some corporate dweebuses thinking that they had NJ folk pegged as being absurdly homogeneous...I can find just as many Jerseyans who despise Bon Jovi and his music as those who love everything he does.

But yeah, overall I have no issues with current ownership.  The idea that they might buy the Mets doesn't bother me in the slightest.    

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

And in the case of the bolded, it's not likely that Harris and Blitzer said "We need to change the goal song."  Chances are they had some group advising them, and H & B probably just said, "OK, go ahead and change it...we've got much bigger things to worry about than some goal song."  The problem is that sometimes these advisers (who rarely REALLY know their research subjects) do some strictly forensic studies and come to the wrong conclusions.  With the goal song, they assumed Bon Jovi (being from here) would have Jerseyans everywhere losing their minds with excitement...like I've said many times, that decision reeked of some corporate dweebuses thinking that they had NJ folk pegged as being absurdly homogeneous...I can find just as many Jerseyans who despise Bon Jovi and his music as those who love everything he does. 

Bet he wishes he had that one back.  Especially the white board.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 6/9/2020 at 10:35 AM, DevsMan84 said:

Re bolded: I'm confused, how have they de-deviled the arena? Anyone who thinks that is asinine

1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Re bolded: I'm confused, how have they de-deviled the arena? Anyone who thinks that is asinine

Yeah I don’t think that happened. Aren’t people there for other events sitting in seats with embroidered Devils logos, at least in the good seats?

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah I don’t think that happened. Aren’t people there for other events sitting in seats with embroidered Devils logos, at least in the good seats?

I don't think the owners did anything negative to the arena but those seats have been there since the building opened. Honestly a lot of seats are going to need be replaced soon, so many are just dirty looking and stained now.

6 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I don't think the owners did anything negative to the arena but those seats have been there since the building opened. Honestly a lot of seats are going to need be replaced soon, so many are just dirty looking and stained now.

Oh I am not saying the place doesn't need updating, it definitely does. But How can you say an arena has been "de-Deviled" when you go to a basketball game and you are sitting in a New Jersey Devils seat??

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Oh I am not saying the place doesn't need updating, it definitely does. But How can you say an arena has been "de-Deviled" when you go to a basketball game and you are sitting in a New Jersey Devils seat??

Agreed. Most of the people who say that kind of stuff about the owners are on Facebook or Twitter. Hell there's still a bunch of people who think the Devils should have never left the Meadowlands. 

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

Agreed. Most of the people who say that kind of stuff about the owners are on Facebook or Twitter. Hell there's still a bunch of people who think the Devils should have never left the Meadowlands. 

I will say, I was not happy when the move was announced. The Meadowlands was “our place”, three championships celebrated there, etc. Besides, who wants to do anything in Newark??

I changed my mind after my first game at the Rock, easier to get to for me, way nicer arena, all of it. I don’t like that there isn’t a huge parking lot and that to park close costs $35. But that’s life. 

• Like 2

Certainly interesting to see how many comments on there are about people wanting them to sell the 76ers...

I also wonder how this would even work, they would need overflow channels cause all 3 teams do play at the same time during certain times of the year. Plus would you even show a 76ers game anywhere but South Jersey? Nobody in the rest of NJ or the NYC area gives a sh!t about the 76ers.

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Well the Mets have their own network, no?

Yup, I have no idea if it's even available in South Jersey though. I don't follow baseball whatsoever but it's mainly Phillies fans down there.