Jump to content

Devils Have Talked To Olczyk About GM Role?


Recommended Posts

12 hours ago, jagknife said:

Look I was buzzed (more drunk) from celebrating selling the house, and clearly wasn’t gonna look up Rikard Grönborg’s name to get my point out haha

We’re in quarantine, you’re entitled to do that!! 

And congrats on your sale. Probably the perfect time to be getting ready to move. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hard pass. 

I didn't mean to direct that at you in particular. Its a common opinion that we don't want guys because "he's been to the finals and lost three times", which is about the stupidest fvcking logic I hav

At this point this whole GM and HC search is a farce.  3 months since the Devils played their last game and they are still evaluating?  At this point this feels this is more theatrics than actual sear

Posted Images

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I have no idea what you’re going on about. Lav has won it all, so idk why he’d be seen as a “win now fvck the future hire.”

Well did you read the conversation?

i said i'd be fine with him but IMO he's the type of guy who will get instant results by being hard but then it often doesnt translate in the next seasons and we're not at the point of competing for the cup yet, so I see his chances of sticking around pretty slim and that i'd rather get a coach that is a good good match for our team and can be here for awhile.

Brought up Torts that was similar and that it didnt work out in vancouver cause he was not a good match for their roster.

Then you brought up "well he got results". Which is again.. the mentality that some have that they just want to win right now even if it means potentially impacting negatively the future.

Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well did you read the conversation?

i said i'd be fine with him but IMO he's the type of guy who will get instant results by being hard but then it often doesnt translate in the next seasons and we're not at the point of competing for the cup yet, so I see his chances of sticking around pretty slim and that i'd rather get a coach that is a good good match for our team and can be here for awhile.

Brought up Torts that was similar and that it didnt work out in vancouver cause he was not a good match for their roster.

Then you brought up "well he got results". Which is again.. the mentality that some have that they just want to win right now even if it means potentially impacting negatively the future.

No, you’re right, we should just keep perpetually worrying about “the future”

You hire the best coach available. Period. Leave the crystal ball out of it. 

Edited by Nicomo
Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mfitz804 said:

Umm, yup. I like that. Who is it?

Well, there’s only one guy available with 600+ wins, 3 finals appearances (with 3 different teams), and a Cup...

On paper Lav is the best available. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

We’re in quarantine, you’re entitled to do that!! 

And congrats on your sale. Probably the perfect time to be getting ready to move. 

Thanks! We were terrified we’d be stuck with the house forever, but it sold in a week after one walk through, and on the first bid.

Now, in a few weeks, we gotta make the cross half country trip with the tiny humans who get mad after 90 minutes in the car. Yaaaaay!

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, there’s only one guy available with 600+ wins, 3 finals appearances (with 3 different teams), and a Cup...

On paper Lav is the best available. 

 

"On paper".

I mean... do i need to point out that a guy with 18 seasons as a head coach under his belt and comparing him with one with only 6... will likely boost his numbers compared to the other one? Like.... By that logic Ruslan Fedotenko is better on paper than Nico Hischier? 366 pts and 2 cups.

Gallant or Grönborg may very well be better coach they just didn't get a chance to prove it yet. Well.. Gallant bringing a team filled with underdogs to the finals when they were not expected to make the playoffs at all certainly showed something. But then maybe it's the same thing as Lavs, i dont know.

Also fair to point out that (and following my point of him being able to get one good year out of players by being hard but then it's gone)... in Carolina... they won the cup.. then missed the playoffs the 3 next season with him behind the bench and they missed the playoffs the year he came in. So they made the playoffs and won the cup ONE season out of 5 with him behind the bench. I'm not saying it's a fluke but just looking at the fun results is not showing the whole story

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Gallant or Grönborg may very well be better coach they just didn't get a chance to prove it yet.

 

But you can say that about anyone. Maybe Jack Hughes is the next Conor McDavid and just hasn’t proven it yet. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

"On paper".

I mean... do i need to point out that a guy with 18 seasons as a head coach under his belt and comparing him with one with only 6... will likely boost his numbers compared to the other one? Like.... By that logic Ruslan Fedotenko is better on paper than Nico Hischier? 366 pts and 2 cups.

Gallant or Grönborg may very well be better coach they just didn't get a chance to prove it yet. Well.. Gallant bringing a team filled with underdogs to the finals when they were not expected to make the playoffs at all certainly showed something. But then maybe it's the same thing as Lavs, i dont know.

Also fair to point out that (and following my point of him being able to get one good year out of players by being hard but then it's gone)... in Carolina... they won the cup.. then missed the playoffs the 3 next season with him behind the bench and they missed the playoffs the year he came in. So they made the playoffs and won the cup ONE season out of 5 with him behind the bench. I'm not saying it's a fluke but just looking at the fun results is not showing the whole story

There’s definitely no “fluke” involved with making it to the finals 3x with 3 different franchises. You’re obviously a really good coach if you do that. And even if you want to discount his Cup win because it was the weird post-lockout year his team still won 16 games to win the Cup. As far as being a compiler, you don’t last long enough to win 600+ games unless you’re pretty damn good. I don’t see how that’s a knock against him. Could some other coach end up having a better career? Ofc, but all you can do is speculate on that  

But this is pointless to keep going back and forth. Some of you don’t want Lav, which is understandable, if you like someone else better like Gallant, but I can’t believe anyone would be upset with that choice if they hire him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

There’s definitely no “fluke” involved with making it to the finals 3x with 3 different franchises. You’re obviously a really good coach if you do that. And even if you want to discount his Cup win because it was the weird post-lockout year his team still won 16 games to win the Cup. As far as being a compiler, you don’t last long enough to win 600+ games unless you’re pretty damn good. I don’t see how that’s a knock against him. Could some other coach end up having a better career? Ofc, but all you can do is speculate on that  

But this is pointless to keep going back and forth. Some of you don’t want Lav, which is understandable, if you like someone else better like Gallant, but I can’t believe anyone would be upset with that choice if they hire him. 

i did say i'd be fine with Lav, he is a good coach. I just said he's not my #1 choice because i'm not sure he's the right fit for our roster. I could be totally wrong and maybe he could adapt. But i haven't seen him do it much.

He also had really good rosters in front of him in Philly and Nashville. Carolina not so much. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

But you can say that about anyone. Maybe Jack Hughes is the next Conor McDavid and just hasn’t proven it yet. 

Well we can compare their first season and see that McDavid is obviously better lol

Also well the term "better" is a bit vague. Well not vague but can be interpreted differently. It's not always the best coach winning the cup every season. It's not necessarily the best goalie, captain, cente , best offense, best defense, or wtv either. You win by having the right combinaison of things at the right time. 

Personally when i say "better" in this specific case, i mean the better fit for our team. 

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i did say i'd be fine with Lav, he is a good coach. I just said he's not my #1 choice because i'm not sure he's the right fit for our roster. I could be totally wrong and maybe he could adapt. But i haven't seen him do it much.

He also had really good rosters in front of him in Philly and Nashville. Carolina not so much. 

Philly for sure, Nashville he never really had the deepest roster as far as his forwards (there’s a reason they had to trade away Seth Jones), and being a well balanced team. Rinne also chokes in the playoffs at times, otherwise he might have another Cup.  Or at least another run.

 

My list (top 5 anyway) would probably be...

1st choice: Gallant 

2nd choice: Lav

3rd choice: Montgomery (he might be the good “fit” some of you are looking for as far as doing well with younger players (think he won a college title with Denver?)

4th choice: Euro guy, cause why not. If he doesn’t work out we can just blame moustic 

5th choice: Boudreau

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Philly for sure, Nashville he never really had the deepest roster as far as his forwards (there’s a reason they had to trade away Seth Jones), and being a well balanced team. Rinne also chokes in the playoffs at times, otherwise he might have another Cup.  Or at least another run.

 

My list (top 5 anyway) would probably be...

1st choice: Gallant 

2nd choice: Lav

3rd choice: Montgomery (he might be the good “fit” some of you are looking for as far as doing well with younger players (think he won a college title with Denver?)

4th choice: Euro guy, cause why not. If he doesn’t work out we can just blame moustic 

5th choice: Boudreau

yeah i'd be down with that list. I'd likely put Grönborg 2nd or 3rd. I think he has lots of promise plus him and Gallant have more to prove. That's a generalization obviously but you can generally get more out of newer guys with something to prove vs guys who's already been there. Again in general they are just hungrier, which is why most amazing artist, moviemakers etc etc all get their best stuff out at the start of their careers. Vs becoming more compliant with time and just playing within the system to just stay relevant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah but only so far. 

are you just looking to poke and argue.... are you working on inflating your post-count or you really didn't get the very simple point i was trying to make that you cannot compare accumulated results from someone who's been around for 18 seasons and someone with 6?

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

4th choice: Euro guy, cause why not. If he doesn’t work out we can just blame moustic 

I'm ready to take this risk ; ) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

are you just looking to poke and argue.... are you working on inflating your post-count or you really didn't get the very simple point i was trying to make that you cannot compare accumulated results from someone who's been around for 18 seasons and someone with 6?

I’m just looking to poke and argue. That’s my idea of fun. 

Usually though we have to go out to dinner first before the poking. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Persoanlly I don't get all the love for Gallant or maybe better worded Gallant is head and shoulders above the rest. I don't think the LV cup team was anywhere near the standard issue first year expansion team, (first example having a 3 time cup winning goalie) and he was gone from there 1.5 seasons later. Not saying he's a bad coach but don't think his record holds up to  Lavys. As for the European gentlemen  now isn't the time to reach and to me he would be just that. IF it's my team we're going with someone with a proven NHL track record. I would even be up for Torts but I'm afraid he would make some of those kids cry almost daily and I guess we can't have that.  

Edited by titans04
Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

At this point, I really don't care too much who the coach is. If we don't get better players, it ain't going to matter.

Agreed, though having a good coach in place might make the free agent side of that easier in some instances. Not that free agents will solve the problem, but still, they could be a piece of the puzzle. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, titans04 said:

Persoanlly I don't get all the love for Gallant or maybe better worded Gallant is head and shoulders above the rest. I don't think the LV cup team was anywhere near the standard issue first year expansion team, (first example having a 3 time cup winning goalie) and he was gone from there 1.5 seasons later. Not saying he's a bad coach but don't think his record holds up to  Lavys. As for the European gentlemen  now isn't the time to reach and to me he would be just that. IF it's my team we're going with someone with a proven NHL track record. I would even be up for Torts but I'm afraid he would make some of those kids cry almost daily and I guess we can't have that.  

Personally i saw him coach in juniors for a few years when he was with the saint john Sea Dogs and always liked him.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Personally i saw him coach in juniors for a few years when he was with the saint john Sea Dogs and always liked him.

that's cool, I fully admit to not having seen any of these guys coach in the minors or Jrs for that matter.

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, titans04 said:

I would even be up for Torts but I'm afraid he would make some of those kids cry almost daily and I guess we can't have that.  

Jack Hughes would probably have an accident in his pants lol. 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

and for the record. If we do get Laviolette and that's who whatever GM we have at the time feel will do the best job then i'll be absolutely fine with him. As much as maybe i'd rather have a player that doesn't prioritizing playing aggressive, intense and hardcore since we have mostly small, skilled and fast players... but he does have a lot of experience and coached a LOT of good players so his experience is obviously welcomed

Link to post
Share on other sites

Compared to the coaching we have had in the past 4 years, arguing about Lavi vs Gallant is like arguing if your next car should be a Ferrari or a Lambo.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.