Top 12 lines in Devils/Rangers/Islanders History

1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

True, but he retired, what, 40-50 years ago?  His drop from 6th all time to 38th is more to do with time and the league doubling in age than anything else.   Technically you could go through that time span and not have many players retire with a point per game average, but all things being equal, you're gonna have some.  If he dropped 32 places in 50 years, that's less than 1 player per year retiring with that average, which I think speaks for itself.  

I'm not sure whether you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me, but that said, if you retire and you are the 6th highest in a positive stat like points in the history of your sport, you were a pretty damn good player. If you are still 38th 50 years later, then you were a pretty damn good player. 

I think a better presentation would simply be the top four lines of each franchise. Trying to rank lines over 9 decades is pointless. Obviously click bait. Predictably.

20 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure whether you are agreeing with me or disagreeing with me, but that said, if you retire and you are the 6th highest in a positive stat like points in the history of your sport, you were a pretty damn good player. If you are still 38th 50 years later, then you were a pretty damn good player. 

Yeah...right now I agree with you, for the reason you just stated -  but I was disagreeing with you earlier because I thought you were implying that since he went from 6th to 38th then he must not have been very good, and that he was only 6th because of the era/time he played in.

That wasn't what I was implying at all. It was mentioned that a PPG player isn't necessarily all that great depending on when he played. I was saying that if you are PPG and also still 38th in scoring in the history of the league in 2020, you were probably a good player.