Weekes: Devils to retain Fitz as GM, hire Ruff as coach

NJDevs4978

I think Ruff still has something to offer on an NHL bench, but why the hell do you hire him when Galant and Lav are out there? Come the F on...the last time Ruff really drove a team into the playoffs was the 2006 Sabres...

EDIT: Also, I'll believe it when more sources or the org announces it. Not to say I don't trust Weekes but I don't consider him an insider.

Edited by NJDevils1214

18 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I think Ruff still has something to offer on an NHL bench, but why the hell do you hire him when Galant and Lav are out there? Come the F on...the last time Ruff really drove a team into the playoffs was the 2006 Sabres...

EDIT: Also, I'll believe it when more sources or the org announces it. Not to say I don't trust Weekes but I don't consider him an insider.

Weekes broke at least one other piece of Devil news before but I can't remember what it was tbh.  He's definitely connected though.

2 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Weekes broke at least one other piece of Devil news before but I can't remember what it was tbh.  He's definitely connected though.

I'm sure a lot of people in that line of work are told things just by manner of their position but they just don't out the info. I still don't consider him an insider like some of the other guys.

Plus....and most importantly.... I want it to not be true so until its 100% I'm going to hope someone spelled Gallant with an R and a U and a couple Fs by mistake. 

12 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm sure a lot of people in that line of work are told things just by manner of their position but they just don't out the info. I still don't consider him an insider like some of the other guys.

Plus....and most importantly.... I want it to not be true so until its 100% I'm going to hope someone spelled Gallant with an R and a U and a couple Fs by mistake. 

Well fvck...

8 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

If this is all true, which I do believe Weekes, how does this work for the Rangers for this bubble tournament? Does he actually keep being an assistant coach the rest of the way for them? That doesn't seem like a normal thing to do. 

Maybe they are happy to get rid of him?

• Angry 1
  • Shocking 1

Well this could be Fitz’s first bad move. We’ll see I guess. There are worse options than Ruff. I think the other options out there make this disappointing but maybe he’ll work out.

Edited by Jerzey
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

This organization is a mess. The only acceptable explanation for hiring Ruff is if Gallant, Lav, Boudreau, etc all turned them down. 

I hate this hire. 

Good for Fitz at least I guess. 

Happy about Fitz. Not happy about Ruff. Laviolette or Gallant were my top choices. 

Edited by MadDog2020

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

This organization is a mess. The only acceptable explanation for hiring Ruff is if Gallant, Lav, Boudreau, etc all turned them down. 

I hate this hire. 

Good for Fitz at least I guess. 

Take the unrealistic ridiculous contract possiblity out of the equation...all things being relatively equal why wouldn't all of the above (well mainly the first two) turn us down?  There's no way the Devils with a rookie GM and a rebuilding team are a better job than anything Gallant and Lavi can get this offseason.  Even Gronberg could probably wait and get a better job.

My main issue with this is waiting three damn months to hire someone they could have hired after three days.  I realize nothing's going on anyway but it feels like the ultimate tease to have it out there they interviewed all these guys, then had to settle for a quasi-retread after dragging their feet.

Edited by NJDevs4978
  • Like 2

I'm trying to take this in. I think that Ruff wasn't the issue in DAL but I can't speak to his work with NYR. NJ could do worse(Nas), but why him with Gallant, Lav, and even Boudreau out there? Lets see what happens and whatever but this is disappointing. I hope I'm proved wrong. I just wonder how management came to the conclusion that Ruff was their best choice. How did that interview go to convince them of that?

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1