Weekes: Devils to retain Fitz as GM, hire Ruff as coach

NJDevs4978

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Laviolette turned a terrible Islanders team into a playoff team when he was with them.  He also won a cup with Carolina into Cup champs right out of the lockout when they probably shouldn't have had any business being in there.  

The owners are just being cheap here.  To think that there will be a better pool of available coaching candidates in a couple of years is wishful thinking.

Who is saying he wanted x amount of money? Is it coming from a reputable source? 

28 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I definitely wondered about the Gronberg situation. He may well have expressed an interest in the team but wanted to wait until it was vaguely competitive to give himself the beast chance of succeeding. It could explain his extension and the hiring of a not so high profile coach like Ruff.

Did Gronborg get an extension?  Last I saw, he was signed through the end of next season.  

20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A few hockey pundits reported yesterday that Lavi was asking $5M a season and the Devils were not willing to pay that.

Are they actually believable sources or talking out their ass? I have no problem with people being pissed off about it but I'll hold off until we actually know it's true. I'd rather have Lav over Ruff too.

Edited by Satans Hockey

6 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I don't see how the hiring of Ruff signifies what you're saying. It's like the owners have a thing for Ruff, Lindy Ruff, of all people? If they wanted cheap or the easy way out, Nasreddine is already there. Could it be, Tom, Marty, Ownership agrees Lindy maybe the right guy at the right time. 

Tom is a smart hockey guy, been around a long time, he's done a good job so far. He knows everything about this team, even from being on the bench - he knows what's working and what's not working systemically, player wise, scouting wise, etc. So maybe Lindy has something this team can mesh with for the next couple years. 

Well did you read my entire post? I explained my full thought process there, not sure what's not to see.

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Second best part of that movie. It’s hard to beat a vampire puppet musical. 

“It’s getting hard to believe that the Devils’ seasons will ever get better.  Whenever I see anything Rangers I just want to slay it ahhh ha ha”

Ruff isn't at all who I wanted for the new head coach, but now that this is where we are, I'm willing to be open and optimistic, no point in pissing and moaning for the next 5 months before the team even hits the ice. Ruff has shown himself capable in the past of coaching good offensive teams and getting the most out of his top offensive producers, so if the thinking is giving our weapons like Nico and Jack the keys to the car, I can't say I'm against it in that sense. Defensively, I'm a little concerned, and they'll need a good assistant to work with our defensemen and penalty kill, whether that's James Patrick or Nas is anyone's best guess.

• Like 4

Happy Fitz has been retained. There was a feeling he was going to be in demand if he wasn't kept so I think we have a good thing there. 

I am not overly thrilled by Ruff, but that's really based on a limited knowledge of him outside his time in buffalo. 

I hope he has the ability to work with young guys and actually develop players. Will be interesting to see who his assistants are. 

Rangers fans seem delighted he is gone, which is a worry. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Happy Fitz has been retained. There was a feeling he was going to be in demand if he wasn't kept so I think we have a good thing there. 

I am not overly thrilled by Ruff, but that's really based on a limited knowledge of him outside his time in buffalo. 

I hope he has the ability to work with young guys and actually develop players. Will be interesting to see who his assistants are. 

Rangers fans seem delighted he is gone, which is a worry. 

I was not happy yesterday, but after sleeping on it I am not as disappointed as I was.

Rangers fans were complaining about their defense before Ruff was even in NY so it isn't like he came in and they started to play poorly. It is worth noting he had little to work with in DAL too but he managed to find some success there regardless.

I wanted Fitz to get the job, well he got the job and this is his guy so I guess "In Fitz we trust". Wait and see.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

I am a bit surprised how many of you are perfectly fine with how this 4-month saga has ended.

Four f*&^ing months just to hire Lindy friggin Ruff!  A guy they could have taken a week to hire at that.

I understand trying to look at things half-full, but this is just mass denial.  The Devils are officially the Mets of the NHL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

Not that I really care at this point but did they say if Nas was staying on as an assistant or is Lindy hiring his own crew? 

Sounds like Lindy and Fitzgerald are going to be picking the new staff, but they're going to give Nas and Co. an opportunity to meet with Lindy first

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Sounds like Lindy and Fitzgerald are going to be picking the new staff, but they're going to give Nas and Co. an opportunity to meet with Lindy first

Oh fvck that, get Nas and those other clowns out of here already.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh fvck that, get Nas and those other clowns out of here already.

I imagine a new staff will come in and it's likely a courtesy of giving the current staff a chance to talk and see if Lindy thinks there's a fit, Nas is the only one I'd be interested in keeping on since he's done a great job with our PK but I wouldn't be incredibly excited to keep him either. We know most hockey coaches have their group of guys they like to keep with them though, James Patrick has been an assistant on every team Ruff has head coached since 2006-07 so he likely gets a call, I know Patrick filled the role in the past that Nas is in right now so I'd have to imagine if it came down to those two, Ruff would probably go with his guy.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I will definitely be way more displeased with this if they don't bring in some more new coaches, I agree with the others that it's just a courtesy though. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, they're such a knowledgeable and intelligent fanbase, we should definitely believe everything they say. 

The ones that actually take the time to discuss the team online are probably a lot more knowledgeable than your average fan though. 

Ive always liked Ruff's coaching style. But what really matters to me is that Cory never plays with us again. Maybe for an injury call up I could allow it, but please don't let him on the team.  Otherwise, we will get off to the same garbage start.  Then again, who knows when I can even see the Devils play again to complain about the lineup?

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I am a bit surprised how many of you are perfectly fine with how this 4-month saga has ended.

Four f*&^ing months just to hire Lindy friggin Ruff!  A guy they could have taken a week to hire at that.

I understand trying to look at things half-full, but this is just mass denial.  The Devils are officially the Mets of the NHL.

Big difference between being "perfectly fine" and simply trying to give this thing a chance.  Ruff as HC wasn't the most appealing option on most of our boards, but now that it's happened, might as well see if there's something there before completely destroying this move.  

Four f*&^ing months just to have retained Nas would have had me pissed beyond belief.  That was the potential outcome that had me most concerned...and I will definitely not be happy if Nas is retained in any capacity...the guy who was tied to Dumb and Angry and didn't do much to distinguish himself as the HC shouldn't get yet another chance to hang around...if the Devils are moving on, then MOVE ON.  As far as the HC hire went, it does look like the Devils did take some time here (I'm not going to speculate on how wisely they might have spent that time).  Admittedly I'd like to know more about what went into the final decision, and how serious the talks were with other candidates, though we may never hear it from the horses' mouths.  

You know I'm a Mets fan...I'm nowhere near equating the Devils to the Wilpon-owned Mets, and man I hope that I won't EVER have to say that about the Devils.  

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Big difference between being "perfectly fine" and simply trying to give this thing a chance.  Ruff as HC wasn't the most appealing option on most of our boards, but now that it's happened, might as well see if there's something there before completely destroying this move.  

Four f*&^ing months just to have retained Nas would have had me pissed beyond belief.  That was the potential outcome that had me most concerned...and I will definitely not be happy if Nas is retained in any capacity...the guy who was tied to Dumb and Angry and didn't do much to distinguish himself as the HC shouldn't get yet another chance to hang around...if the Devils are moving on, then MOVE ON.  As far as the HC hire went, it does look like the Devils did take some time here (I'm not going to speculate on how wisely they might have spent that time).  Admittedly I'd like to know more about what went into the final decision, and how serious the talks were with other candidates, though we may never hear it from the horses' mouths.  

You know I'm a Mets fan...I'm nowhere near equating the Devils to the Wilpon-owned Mets, and man I hope that I won't EVER have to say that about the Devils.  

Out of the 5 choices, they chose the second worst.  I am not ready to unfurl the "mission accomplished!" banner at that one just yet.

If this team is not in Mets territory yet, then they are certainly trending in that direction.  You have a dog and pony show just to hire a HC and GM, owners who are starting to meddle in the day to day operation, a GM who is going to be forced into accepting decisions by committee by ownership, a data analytics department that has the ear of ownership that places advanced stats over winning games, seemingly never-ending talk about cap flexibility and "weaponizing cap space" that goes nowhere, a scouting department that is only maybe marginally better than it was under Lou's tenure, and of course a team president (and his predecessor) are nothing but empty suits who know jack about hockey or Devils fans.

What a bright future we have to look forward to.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Out of the 5 choices, they chose the second worst.  I am not ready to unfurl the "mission accomplished!" banner at that one just yet.

If this team is not in Mets territory yet, then they are certainly trending in that direction.  You have a dog and pony show just to hire a HC and GM, owners who are starting to meddle in the day to day operation, a GM who is going to be forced into accepting decisions by committee by ownership, a data analytics department that has the ear of ownership that places advanced stats over winning games, seemingly never-ending talk about cap flexibility and "weaponizing cap space" that goes nowhere, a scouting department that is only maybe marginally better than it was under Lou's tenure, and of course a team president (and his predecessor) are nothing but empty suits who know jack about hockey or Devils fans.

What a bright future we have to look forward to.

Out of those 5 choices if the other 4 say no, what can you really do?