Weekes: Devils to retain Fitz as GM, hire Ruff as coach

NJDevs4978

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

Out of those 5 choices if the other 4 say no, what can you really do?

Nas is the worst option.  He would have said yes.

John Stevens - Haven't heard either way.

Gallant - He said no

Lavi - Wanted $5 or $5.5M a year from the reports I see.

So really it came down to at least 3 choices with one being a slam dunk choice.  Instead, they looked at that slam dunk choice and decided that $5M a season was too much for good coaching.  They are not serious about putting the best product on the ice.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

The ones that actually take the time to discuss the team online are probably a lot more knowledgeable than your average fan though. 

You probably know how I would respond to this, just add “and their mothers” at the end of what you’re thinking. 

Edited by mfitz804

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

Nas is the worst option.  He would have said yes.

John Stevens - Haven't heard either way.

Gallant - He said no

Lavi - Wanted $5 or $5.5M a year from the reports I see.

So really it came down to at least 3 choices with one being a slam dunk choice.  Instead, they looked at that slam dunk choice and decided that $5M a season was too much for good coaching.  They are not serious about putting the best product on the ice.

Do we have an official source talking about the money being an issue for Lav? I browsed a bit but didn't see any actual reporters talking about. I'm not gonna knock them on that until it's an actual reputable source. 

12 minutes ago, devlman said:

Just curious where you guys are seeing that the others said no? Who reported that?

I said if the others said no there's nothing you can really do. Wasn't saying it as a fact. 

Edited by Satans Hockey
  • Like 1

Just now, Satans Hockey said:

Is this the source reporting all this? Cause if so I'll definitely wait for an actual reliable source... 

Puck daddy is Greg W.

As for the $5M a year, a couple of others were listing that figure.  I cannot recall off the top of my head.

7 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Puck daddy is Greg W.

As for the $5M a year, a couple of others were listing that figure.  I cannot recall off the top of my head.

I'm just not gonna sh!t on them until I see someone actually reporting that they wouldn't pay him that money. I don't see him saying anything about $5m, he mentions them not wanting to pay as his opinion and I frankly couldn't give two sh!ts about his opinion...

• Like 1

Most likely Laviolette picked a price he knew they wouldn’t pay because he didn’t want the job, unless they paid him a boatload. 

I don’t think a $5m coach is what we need right now, what’s the point with our roster being what it is? Give him 3-4 years at $5m and he would accomplish nothing. 

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I'm just not gonna sh!t on them until I see someone actually reporting that they wouldn't pay him that money. I don't see him saying anything about $5m, he mentions them not wanting to pay as his opinion and I frankly couldn't give two sh!ts about his opinion...

I was mentioning puck daddy about Brodeur.

The money figure was from other sources that again I do not remember off the top of my head.

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Most likely Laviolette picked a price he knew they wouldn’t pay because he didn’t want the job, unless they paid him a boatload. 

I don’t think a $5m coach is what we need right now, what’s the point with our roster being what it is? Give him 3-4 years at $5m and he would accomplish nothing. 

Laviolette wouldn't even be the highest paid coach with that.  It is what the Rangers gave AV and Babcock got more than $6M up in Toronto.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Laviolette wouldn't even be the highest paid coach with that.  It is what the Rangers gave AV and Babcock got more than $6M up in Toronto.

I’m not saying we couldn’t afford it or he didn’t deserve it. I’m saying, you don’t hire a chauffeur with the little hat and all to drive you around in your Kia Sportage. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not saying we couldn’t afford it or he didn’t deserve it. I’m saying, you don’t hire a chauffeur with the little hat and all to drive you around in your Kia Sportage. 

Better than hiring a valet that will not only damage/wreck your car but also steal the change out of the change holder.

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I've been outed on this bored!

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

Better than hiring a valet that will not only damage/wreck your car but also steal the change out of the change holder.

Or being stuck with that valet when the Sportage gets upgraded to a (insert non-controversial better car brand/make). Maybe they think the timeline is more like 5-6 years and not 2-3?

3 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

And you don't know that. Give the guy some respect, he's 7th all time in wins? 2 gold medals as an assistant, played and been in this league for what  35+ years?

The team isn't very good anyway, let's see what happens. We have bigger things to worry about than the coach.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Or being stuck with that valet when the Sportage gets upgraded to a (insert non-controversial better car brand/make). Maybe they think the timeline is more like 5-6 years and not 2-3?

Maybe that is the timeline, but if that, will there be better coaching options at this point?  Will the team do better under Laviolette or Ruff?  Based on recent history between those two, the former is a slam dunk.

When Harris $&*^-canned Shero, he talked about the team not being where they thought it should be.  I doubt this hiring was made with the thinking that they are that many years away and more that they are just being cheap.

3 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

And you don't know that. Give the guy some respect, he's 7th all time in wins? 2 gold medals as an assistant, played and been in this league for what  35+ years?

The team isn't very good anyway, let's see what happens. We have bigger things to worry about than the coach.

Like I care what he did back in 1999 in buffalo or when he was an assistant coach on a stacked HHOF roster for the Olympics.

The 2015-2020 Ruff has been not good.