Weekes: Devils to retain Fitz as GM, hire Ruff as coach

12 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm trying to take this in. I think that Ruff wasn't the issue in DAL but I can't speak to his work with NYR. NJ could do worse(Nas), but why him with Gallant, Lav, and even Boudreau out there? Lets see what happens and whatever but this is disappointing. I hope I'm proved wrong. I just wonder how management came to the conclusion that Ruff was their best choice. How did that interview go to convince them of that?

Maybe the other 3 guys laughed and said “go fvck yourself”. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruff currently doing a zoom call w/ STH's.   Q&A. I asked several (had to submit before hand).   Are you prepared to have patience with some of the younger players on the team

After a few days of packing and other pre-move crap I’m at this position: If we actually play aggressive hockey and not that “well we can play a period of attacking hockey, then play scared the rest o

Happy about this. He's a good veteran coach who has won before. He's managed all kinds of players over the past several decades, every kind of ego and headcase you can imagine. He's not too old to whe

Posted Images

13 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm trying to take this in. I think that Ruff wasn't the issue in DAL but I can't speak to his work with NYR. NJ could do worse(Nas), but why him with Gallant, Lav, and even Boudreau out there? Lets see what happens and whatever but this is disappointing. I hope I'm proved wrong. I just wonder how management came to the conclusion that Ruff was their best choice. How did that interview go to convince them of that?

He might have been the only choice if the other three didn't want it and they were set on an experienced guy behind the bench to counteract Hynes/Nas.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Take the unrealistic ridiculous contract possiblity out of the equation...all things being relatively equal why wouldn't all of the above (well mainly the first two) turn us down?  There's no way the Devils with a rookie GM and a rebuilding team are a better job than anything Gallant and Lavi can get this offseason.  Even Gronberg could probably wait and get a better job.

My main issue with this is waiting three damn months to hire someone they could have hired after three days.  I realize nothing's going on anyway but it feels like the ultimate tease to have it out there they interviewed all these guys, then had to settle for a quasi-retread after dragging their feet.

Gallant never lasted longer than 3 years with any one team before getting fired. Job stability alone might have been a desirable factor in NJ. Hynes got 5+ years ffs...

Plus there are some nice pieces (Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Palms, Mac) already in place. 

I'm not unhappy with keeping Fitz but hiring Ruff is a but of  puzzler. Does he have a history of bringing on younger players? Is it because the Devils aren't going to be in contention for a couple of seasons and Gallant & Lav want a team further along in their rebuild? Does Gallant have his eyes on the Seattle job?

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Maybe the other 3 guys laughed and said “go fvck yourself”. 

1 minute ago, NJDevs4978 said:

He might have been the only choice if the other three didn't want it and they were set on an experienced guy behind the bench to counteract Hynes/Nas.

Maybe that is true but I find it unlikely they'd even interview if they didn't want the job. What is being said in the interviews that is making them turn away then? A young team with some players with star potential to build with seems like a coaches dream on paper...or am I not looking at it correctly? 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Gallant never lasted longer than 3 years with any one team before getting fired. Job stability alone might have been a desirable factor in NJ. Hynes got 5+ years ffs...

Plus there are some nice pieces (Nico, Hughes, Bratt, Palms, Mac) already in place. 

Well that five years were with a GM that's no longer here.  And this GM/coach is basically a package deal by ownership.

Posted (edited)

Lavi allegedly priced himself out of the job. Wanted $5m. (RUMOR).

So we’re a penny pinching team now?

I’m completely fine with Fitz, but the second Ruff’s name was mentioned I had that sinking feeling he was ownership’s pick...

Edited by jagknife
4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Lavi allegedly priced himself out of the job. Wanted $5m. (RUMOR).

So we’re a penny pinching team now?

I’m completely fine with Fitz, but the second Ruff’s name was mentioned I had that sinking feeling he was ownership’s pick...

The owners ok PK on a gamble but say no to the investment in Lav? Possible but unlikely unless they plan to Walmart this whole thing until they think they have a reason to reinvest.

Unless there's proof behind the rumor it's hard to get on them about Lavi. However, we're still weaponizing all that cap space for a number of years now so maybe there's the NHL cap and then there's the Devils operating budget?  Yeah they spent big on PK, that worked out just swell, I'm sure that will encourage them to spend more freely in the FA market going forward. #SwingAndAMiss

As for Fritz, meh, just meh in my book, too close to Ray.  Rupp just a massive fail that ship has sailed imo. Rags won the day by shedding that turd.

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The owners ok PK on a gamble but say no to the investment in Lav? Possible but unlikely unless they plan to Walmart this whole thing until they think they have a reason to reinvest.

That’s why it honestly bothers me if it’s proven true that we balked at Lavi over money. You got your personality in PK for the money.

maybe PK spoke up to ownership and refused to play for Lavi or some crazy sh!t so they went with the guy they can’t really get rid of cause of his contract as is...?

19 minutes ago, NJDevs4978 said:

Well that five years were with a GM that's no longer here.  And this GM/coach is basically a package deal by ownership.

True. Ownership has shown at least some patience with their coach though. But it was almost certainly Shero protecting Hynes. Not sure Fitz will have that kind of pull. 

4 minutes ago, jagknife said:

That’s why it honestly bothers me if it’s proven true that we balked at Lavi over money. You got your personality in PK for the money.

maybe PK spoke up to ownership and refused to play for Lavi or some crazy sh!t so they went with the guy they can’t really get rid of cause of his contract as is...?

A coach for 5M when the team stinks, what does it matter?

On the plus side, he at least he NHL coaching experience so we aren’t starting with NHL Coaching Virgins for the fifth time out of six (Sutter/Maclean/Hynes/Nas)

Just now, HellOnICE said:

A coach for 5M when the team stinks, what does it matter?

Cause he’d be better than having yet another defensive coach who is bad at that job?

3 minutes ago, jagknife said:

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

True. Ownership has shown at least some patience with their coach though. But it was almost certainly Shero protecting Hynes. Not sure Fitz will have that kind of pull. 

The thing for me is Harris spoke out when he fired Shero that the way things were going was basically not acceptable. So why would they start to cut corners now if their plan is to win and why fire those guys for losing if they wanted to just save money? Either he is talking out his ass or they really think this is the winning combination.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, jagknife said:

On the plus side, he at least he NHL coaching experience so we aren’t starting with NHL Coaching Virgins for the fifth time out of six (Sutter/Maclean/Hynes/Nas)

Cause he’d be better than having yet another defensive coach who is bad at that job?

Who says Ruff is a defensive coach, his numbers in Dallas say otherwise.

Posted (edited)
46 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I pray this is overthinking the situation because  (and I personally highly doubt PK has that kind of pull)  IF he does it's even more f*cked up than I envision it to be in the front office with Harris and Co. I mean I'm sorry but who gives a sh*t what PK thinks, if your name isn't Nico (and he barely deserves any say whatsoever) you stand in line and eat what's being served.

Upon further review, Nico stands in line too. Nobody on this roster deserves that kind of input, down the road maybe not at this point in time.

Edited by titans04
  • Like 2
28 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Who says Ruff is a defensive coach, his numbers in Dallas say otherwise.

Him being literally being hired as the Rangers defensive coach?

couls it have been a bad fit? Sure but his defenses sucked there

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Did you stop to think that who you feel is "out there" turned down offers? Why would those guys who were in the playoffs want to settle with an out of playoffs team when they could wait and see if they get a better opportunity? 

it's like... "why would steve buscemi get wtv random girlfriend... when Alexandra Daddario or Ana de Armas are single?" 

Edited by SterioDesign
1 hour ago, NJDevils1214 said:

A young team with some players with star potential to build with seems like a coaches dream on paper...or am I not looking at it correctly? 

You’re definitely looking at it wrong. You’re looking at it as a fan. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)

It would be great if we ever somehow got the details on who they talked to and who they had serious interest in and made offers too.  Unfortunately we'll probably never know. On the surface I find it hard to believe Ruff was the first option but that's just me. I do think there's something to it being a rather tough sell because frankly the team isn't good, hasn't been good etc. But that just maybe by cynicism after all these down years. 

Edited by titans04
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Did you stop to think that who you feel is "out there" turned down offers? Why would those guys who were in the playoffs want to settle with an out of playoffs team when they could wait and see if they get a better opportunity? 

I didn't "feel" anything. Gallant, Laviolette, and Boudreau are all unemployed as NHL coaches, and so, are on the market and "out there" to be hired. As far as to whether or not they declined offers, you don't know the answer anymore than I do. I'm speculating with everyone else.

The way you talk to people around here a lot of the time is condescending, rude, and makes you look like an absolute douche. Maybe you should "stop and think about that".

• Like 2