Weekes: Devils to retain Fitz as GM, hire Ruff as coach

9 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

What scares me the most is if this is the result of a bigger problem. Which would be that the owners are really trying to be involved too much and forcing their way on management and coaching staff and that the better candidates were like... "no i'm not dealing with this sh!t" on top of not having a really impressive lineup to offer just yet. And that Ruff was the most desperate to get a gig so he accepted it. Obviously i'm not saying this is it, i'm just speculating based on some reports that we've got. 

We Know Gallant, Lav at the very least will likely be in the NHL next season. Honestly though... instead of settling with Ruff now... if possible i would have preferred to play hard ball and wait after the play-in or the season... see if any coaches get fired... if none does... that's putting more pressure on those coaches. And if they do get a job.. it means someone was fired, which could be a good fit for us.

This is my take , everything by committee... screw that

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ruff currently doing a zoom call w/ STH's.   Q&A. I asked several (had to submit before hand).   Are you prepared to have patience with some of the younger players on the team

After a few days of packing and other pre-move crap I’m at this position: If we actually play aggressive hockey and not that “well we can play a period of attacking hockey, then play scared the rest o

Happy about this. He's a good veteran coach who has won before. He's managed all kinds of players over the past several decades, every kind of ego and headcase you can imagine. He's not too old to whe

Posted Images

11 hours ago, '7' said:

Happy about this. He's a good veteran coach who has won before. He's managed all kinds of players over the past several decades, every kind of ego and headcase you can imagine. He's not too old to where he may not have the energy for the job (60 years old) he's never won a Cup before so you know the fire burns for that. He's got a Jack Adams trophy. Not a lot to dislike about this hiring.

I was SHOCKED to see that he was only 60 years old. I figured he was 75 at least. Really don't get all of the hate. It has been a while since he was successful sure, but it's not like the Rangers teams he has been assistant on have been stacked rosters that under-performed. Two longish coaching stints (i consider 4 years to be long at this point in the coach firing world we live in) show he must have been doing something right. 

Seeing some takes along the lines of "Rangers fans are happy to see him go therefore he is a bad coach!"...Yeah and as we all know Rangers fans are the top hockey minds in the world! Seriously get the hell out of here with that take. 

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

But the reason I'm curious about Ruff's term is how open it leaves the Devils to going after Gronberg next season (the Swedish coach who won't be released from his current deal with one year to go...Devils reached out to him, as well all know).  If Ruff is signed to 2 or 3 years at not a whole lot of cash (think a "Show Me" contract, but for a head coach), and the Devils don't like what they see out of him after one season, this could very well be a one-and-done type of arrangement, where they don't mind eating some money as long as it's not TOO much money (and being that Ruff had to take an assistant gig after losing the Dallas job and that there were sexier candidates out there, he probably didn't have a ton of leverage in negotiations).  Should he come in here and turn the team around (or show legit signs of being able to do that) in his first year, then safe to say if he's on a two-year gig, he'll get an extension, and that will put an end to any Gronberg talk.  But this could all be a way for the Devils to give themselves some flexibility...and that could very well be because they weren't sold enough on ANY of the available candidates to feel like they should spend top dollar and term for any of them.  

All of the above said, I'm hopeful that Ruff works out, but I feel like there's not going to be a whole of in-between here.  We'll find out.  

I definitely wondered about the Gronberg situation. He may well have expressed an interest in the team but wanted to wait until it was vaguely competitive to give himself the beast chance of succeeding. It could explain his extension and the hiring of a not so high profile coach like Ruff.

19 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Laviolette turned a terrible Islanders team into a playoff team when he was with them.  He also won a cup with Carolina into Cup champs right out of the lockout when they probably shouldn't have had any business being in there.  

The owners are just being cheap here.  To think that there will be a better pool of available coaching candidates in a couple of years is wishful thinking.

Who is saying he wanted x amount of money? Is it coming from a reputable source? 

28 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I definitely wondered about the Gronberg situation. He may well have expressed an interest in the team but wanted to wait until it was vaguely competitive to give himself the beast chance of succeeding. It could explain his extension and the hiring of a not so high profile coach like Ruff.

Did Gronborg get an extension?  Last I saw, he was signed through the end of next season.  

31 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Who is saying he wanted x amount of money? Is it coming from a reputable source? 

A few hockey pundits reported yesterday that Lavi was asking $5M a season and the Devils were not willing to pay that.

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

A few hockey pundits reported yesterday that Lavi was asking $5M a season and the Devils were not willing to pay that.

Are they actually believable sources or talking out their ass? I have no problem with people being pissed off about it but I'll hold off until we actually know it's true. I'd rather have Lav over Ruff too.

Edited by Satans Hockey
27 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Did Gronborg get an extension?  Last I saw, he was signed through the end of next season.  

I read he extended for a season on here somewhere. For the life of me I can't find it now.

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Oh man, Mila Kunis in Forgetting Sarah Marshall.. top-tier.  Doesn't get better.

Second best part of that movie. It’s hard to beat a vampire puppet musical. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I don't see how the hiring of Ruff signifies what you're saying. It's like the owners have a thing for Ruff, Lindy Ruff, of all people? If they wanted cheap or the easy way out, Nasreddine is already there. Could it be, Tom, Marty, Ownership agrees Lindy maybe the right guy at the right time. 

Tom is a smart hockey guy, been around a long time, he's done a good job so far. He knows everything about this team, even from being on the bench - he knows what's working and what's not working systemically, player wise, scouting wise, etc. So maybe Lindy has something this team can mesh with for the next couple years. 

Well did you read my entire post? I explained my full thought process there, not sure what's not to see.

30 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Second best part of that movie. It’s hard to beat a vampire puppet musical. 

“It’s getting hard to believe that the Devils’ seasons will ever get better.  Whenever I see anything Rangers I just want to slay it ahhh ha ha”

Ruff isn't at all who I wanted for the new head coach, but now that this is where we are, I'm willing to be open and optimistic, no point in pissing and moaning for the next 5 months before the team even hits the ice. Ruff has shown himself capable in the past of coaching good offensive teams and getting the most out of his top offensive producers, so if the thinking is giving our weapons like Nico and Jack the keys to the car, I can't say I'm against it in that sense. Defensively, I'm a little concerned, and they'll need a good assistant to work with our defensemen and penalty kill, whether that's James Patrick or Nas is anyone's best guess.

• Like 4

Happy Fitz has been retained. There was a feeling he was going to be in demand if he wasn't kept so I think we have a good thing there. 

I am not overly thrilled by Ruff, but that's really based on a limited knowledge of him outside his time in buffalo. 

I hope he has the ability to work with young guys and actually develop players. Will be interesting to see who his assistants are. 

Rangers fans seem delighted he is gone, which is a worry. 

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
31 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Happy Fitz has been retained. There was a feeling he was going to be in demand if he wasn't kept so I think we have a good thing there. 

I am not overly thrilled by Ruff, but that's really based on a limited knowledge of him outside his time in buffalo. 

I hope he has the ability to work with young guys and actually develop players. Will be interesting to see who his assistants are. 

I was not happy yesterday, but after sleeping on it I am not as disappointed as I was.

Rangers fans were complaining about their defense before Ruff was even in NY so it isn't like he came in and they started to play poorly. It is worth noting he had little to work with in DAL too but he managed to find some success there regardless.

I wanted Fitz to get the job, well he got the job and this is his guy so I guess "In Fitz we trust". Wait and see.

Edited by NJDevils1214
  • Like 1

I am a bit surprised how many of you are perfectly fine with how this 4-month saga has ended.

Four f*&^ing months just to hire Lindy friggin Ruff!  A guy they could have taken a week to hire at that.

I understand trying to look at things half-full, but this is just mass denial.  The Devils are officially the Mets of the NHL.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Jerzey said:

Not that I really care at this point but did they say if Nas was staying on as an assistant or is Lindy hiring his own crew? 

Sounds like Lindy and Fitzgerald are going to be picking the new staff, but they're going to give Nas and Co. an opportunity to meet with Lindy first

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

Sounds like Lindy and Fitzgerald are going to be picking the new staff, but they're going to give Nas and Co. an opportunity to meet with Lindy first

Oh fvck that, get Nas and those other clowns out of here already.

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh fvck that, get Nas and those other clowns out of here already.

I imagine a new staff will come in and it's likely a courtesy of giving the current staff a chance to talk and see if Lindy thinks there's a fit, Nas is the only one I'd be interested in keeping on since he's done a great job with our PK but I wouldn't be incredibly excited to keep him either. We know most hockey coaches have their group of guys they like to keep with them though, James Patrick has been an assistant on every team Ruff has head coached since 2006-07 so he likely gets a call, I know Patrick filled the role in the past that Nas is in right now so I'd have to imagine if it came down to those two, Ruff would probably go with his guy.

Edited by CommonDreads
  • Like 2
59 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I wanted Fitz to get the job, well he got the job and this is his guy so I guess "In Fitz we trust". Wait and see.

If you get it tattooed, I'll pay for it. 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Yeah, they're such a knowledgeable and intelligent fanbase, we should definitely believe everything they say. 

• Like 4
41 minutes ago, CommonDreads said:

I will definitely be way more displeased with this if they don't bring in some more new coaches, I agree with the others that it's just a courtesy though. 

22 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah, they're such a knowledgeable and intelligent fanbase, we should definitely believe everything they say. 

The ones that actually take the time to discuss the team online are probably a lot more knowledgeable than your average fan though. 

Ive always liked Ruff's coaching style. But what really matters to me is that Cory never plays with us again. Maybe for an injury call up I could allow it, but please don't let him on the team.  Otherwise, we will get off to the same garbage start.  Then again, who knows when I can even see the Devils play again to complain about the lineup?