Weekes: Devils to retain Fitz as GM, hire Ruff as coach

NJDevs4978

After a few days of packing and other pre-move crap I’m at this position: If we actually play aggressive hockey and not that “well we can play a period of attacking hockey, then play scared the rest of the game” crap we’ve been doing, I don’t care who the coach is. It could be the two headed monster from Sesame Street with the horns for all I freaking care anymore.

He’s not Hynes, he’s not Nas and he’s coached actual NHL teams before. Give me hockey back already.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

all three of these guys were being brought here on a gamble. PK was showing to be trending down and Simmonds had a poor season the year prior but there was some upside belief that he could bounce back and there probably weren't a ton of options. Gusev definitely had/has some growing pains if we remember he was a healthy scratch several games. You have to work with the options you have, bringing in all three of these players were all smart moves that were only going to benefit the team if they worked out.

well yeah.

then it sounds like they (definitely 2 outta 3) turned out to not really be smart moves.

Gusev did bring something in the end and may grow into something of even greater value as time goes on.

This thread has been full of speculations and wishful thinking.  We need the to give the Fitz/Ruff team a chance to get to work.  Passing judgement at this juncture is premature.  They both know that the coaching carousel we call the NHL can be merciless.  We need to set our focus on the draft and get the best talent we can.  Then let's set our sights on getting to work.  Let Ruff hire the assistants he can work with and do the job they are supposed to do.  We need a new vision going forward.  The time to start is now.

• Like 1

On 7/11/2020 at 10:27 AM, jagknife said:

After a few days of packing and other pre-move crap I’m at this position: If we actually play aggressive hockey and not that “well we can play a period of attacking hockey, then play scared the rest of the game” crap we’ve been doing, I don’t care who the coach is. It could be the two headed monster from Sesame Street with the horns for all I freaking care anymore.

He’s not Hynes, he’s not Nas and he’s coached actual NHL teams before. Give me hockey back already.

Church Saturday GIF

51 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

If there's any truth to this at all, I think it's Gronborg the Devils would like to see come in for 2021-22 and beyond.    

I know Ruff still isn't a thrilling hire, but I'd take him over Nas.  So I consider it an upgrade of sorts...that being said, I'm very curious to see who's coming aboard as assistants.    

• Like 4

47 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

If there's any truth to this at all, I think it's Gronborg the Devils would like to see come in for 2021-22 and beyond.    

I know Ruff still isn't a thrilling hire, but I'd take him over Nas.  So I consider it an upgrade of sorts...that being said, I'm very curious to see who's coming aboard as assistants.    

Anything that allows me to post more pictures of the Swedish Chef, I am very much in favor of. 

• Like 2

I just finished listening to the Speak of the Devils podcast and they had Lindy Ruff on.  I have to say, it makes me feel more confident in the hiring and I am certainly looking forward to see how the team plays and performs under his guidance.  It was a good listen and I recommend those of you that listen to hockey pods to check it out.

Here's a TL;DL presented in Mike "Bullet Point" Brown fashion

• He mentions that he is a fan of communication and relationships with the players and not just looking at Xs and Os or the "system" to get results
  • Puck pressure and not giving the other team a lot of time in the zone.  This sounds like something foreign after watching the team watch their opponents skate and cycle the puck around the zone.
  • He thinks it's mucho important to have the defense jump up in the attack.  Mentions getting the fourth and even the fifth man in on the attack.  He brings up how the Rangers defensive corps was near the top of the league in scoring and that's something that excites me.  Deangelo and Fox were on the score sheet quite a bit this season.  Klingberg came up under him too.  Maybe he can nurture Ty Smith's scoring touch.
  • Going with the last point, he talks about making sure we have guys on the back check quick to outnumber the opponents secondary opportunities.
  • He's coached just about every kind of team out there and even played under Scotty Bowman, so he comes in with a ton of experience.
  • Like 5

Most GMs and coaches talk an encouraging game.  But I’m all for at least giving Ruff a chance and some time.  

• Like 1

im not saying this is the plan, cause what do i know? But it could make a lot of sense that the angle the management went with was...

1. We know we still won't be a solid playoffs team this season.

2. The top candidates are not interested in taking a HC job here. (assumption, not fact)

3. The best willing candidate with the most potential is under contract for another season in another country.

4. We cannot retain Nas at this point it would be a step back and not be accepted by just about anyone, we need to surround our kids with experience.

5. Ruff is a candidate that is trending down. A guy that had lots of success and experience but now has something to prove.He lost his HC status and now had to settle with an assistant job.

So with that in mind... giving Ruff a year or 2 to prove himself, best case scenario he's doing a good job. Worst case scenario we can get that European guy or another coach we've been grooming internally.

• Like 1

The only problem I see with that, is if all these other established NHL coaches turned us down why would Euro guy pick NJ? If he’s truly one of the hottest coaching candidates in the entire world, I’m sure he’ll have his choice of teams when he’s ready to make the jump to the NHL. Maybe we’ll be a more attractive destination by then? It really does feel like what happens with Jack the next few years is going to be franchise altering. One way or the other. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The only problem I see with that, is if all these other established NHL coaches turned us down why would Euro guy pick NJ? If he’s truly one of the hottest coaching candidates in the entire world, I’m sure he’ll have his choice of teams when he’s ready to make the jump to the NHL. Maybe we’ll be a more attractive destination by then? It really does feel like what happens with Jack the next few years is going to be franchise altering. One way or the other. 

Agree on the coaching part! I don't buy the fact we're essentially now betting on a Euro guy because nobody of any real value here would take the job.  No offense to the Euro guys here on the board by any means, but again, it's just a piss poor reflection on this entire org.  You're essentially settling for something you're not even happy with going into it, I don't want to believe it's that bad. 

As for Jack, I'm hoping there's other pieces that come into the picture so it's not weighing so heavily on him to carry much other than himself.  I think he's got a long way to go just to get his own game up to par.  Still a kid that hopefully can elevate his play as he matures.

53 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well thats fair but also unlike north american coaches... they dont have any ties, hometown or anything they'd love to coach. Their dream is to be in the NHL and that's an opportunity. The other coaches have "made it" already

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well thats fair but also unlike north american coaches... they dont have any ties, hometown or anything they'd love to coach. Their dream is to be in the NHL and that's an opportunity. The other coaches have "made it" already

Are coaches pulling that hometown crap too? I don’t recall one in recent memory, but I definitely don’t follow coaches as closely as I do players. 

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Are coaches pulling that hometown crap too? I don’t recall one in recent memory, but I definitely don’t follow coaches as closely as I do players. 

well maybe not as much but my point was more about having roots or interests already in north america somewhere. When you come from europe in general you don't really have that.

i mean for example Scott Stevens resigned as Wild assistant coach to be closer to his family

Edited by SterioDesign

7 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Well, it’s not like you really have much choice. :P

I just mean I’d rather do that at this point, than complain about the move.

Yeah I don't subscribe to the waiting for Gronborg thing.  If management wanted him and he wanted to be here, they would have worked something out.  I read that he also interviewed with Anaheim in 2018 and the Sabres in 2019, so maybe he is being particular about which team he wants to coach or maybe he ordered pineapple on his pizza at the interview and they told him to go pound salt.

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2020 at 8:39 PM, HellOnICE said:

You have no idea what you're talking about Re: Laviolette vs. Ruff and cheapening out. No one does. But to say like Lavi is a better coach than Ruff - that's subjective. Also, Lavi could be a better coach for certain kinds of teams at whatever stage they are in, and Ruff could turn out to be a good coach here for the situation we find ourselves. We'll find out. But you have to trust Fitz, so far he's done a good job, if he's staking his GM career on Lindy Ruff - 7th all time in wins, been in the game a long time - then so be it. 

That's what happens with development, it doesn't go well, and all of a sudden...voila - kids get better, they get more experience, and improve. Dennehy did a great job down there, especially after Hynes left, and Fitz gave him more reign in applying his own system. 

You can be sick of the build assets line, but the fact is, that's the only way you get better. You sound like a teenager bUT i WaNT 2 wIn gAMes!....yeah no sh!t, everyone does. 

Almost every single person who isn't completely brainwashed by the org's Kool-Aid say Laviolette is better than Ruff.  I don't know what else to tell you there.

Yeah I do want to get better and win games.  That means the Devils need to take steps, even if baby ones.  We have taken exactly zero steps in the past 5 years except an outlier season in 17-18.  How do you take steps?  You draft well (which outside the first overalls hasn't been spectacular the past 5 seasons), you take risks/trades to make your team better by adding roster players instead of draft picks, and you spend money to get the best talent on and off the ice.  Instead, our owners are sticking with the same tired loser personnel, cheapening out on getting the best talent (like the Ruff hire), acquiring players to reach cap floor and feed the line to fans about "weaponing cap space", and trusting an analytics department that cares more about stats than winning games.  It's completely ass-backwards.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid though and think these guys actually care about winning.