1. 1. Who’s your pick?

• Jamie Drysdale
    • Cole Perfetti
    • Marco Rossi
    • Lucas Raymond
    • Alexander Holtz
    • Jake Sanderson
    • Other

So the board is pretty dead right now while we’re waiting for the play-in round to get underway, figured it’d be interesting to see which player people are leaning towards atm. 

I didn’t include unrealistic options like Lafreniere, Byfield, or Stutzle, who are likely the top 3, but almost certainly top 5, thus out of our reach (barring a trade up). After that it could get interesting...

I’m still really hoping for Marco Rossi. I’d also be pretty happy with Drysdale or Sanderson, as defenseman is obviously our biggest need.

Edited by Nicomo

I’m in Sanderson camp. But when I look at this draft class of defensemen and class of forwards im truly understand there will be more interesting dmen on next draft and there will not be as much interesting forwards on next draft. Drysdale isn’t a hedman  or doughty and we have our own small potential puckmover. He doesn’t play well in position and often doesn’t do a good first pass. Sanderson may be a big slowness bust. Perfetti and Rossi are too slow and small(it’s a biggest problem for me in that list). Raymond looks like Boqvist, his stats isn’t better than Boqvist has  and we have our own Boqvist. Holtz isn’t a hockey iq master and it’s not a thing that coach can teach. 
But they are all have their own pluses and flashes in their game and I will be happy with any of them. 

18 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I’m in Sanderson camp. But when I look at this draft class of defensemen and class of forwards im truly understand there will be more interesting dmen on next draft and there will not be as much interesting forwards on next draft. Drysdale isn’t a hedman  or doughty and we have our own small potential puckmover. He doesn’t play well in position and often doesn’t do a good first pass. Sanderson may be a big slowness bust. Perfetti and Rossi are too slow and small(it’s a biggest problem for me in that list). Raymond looks like Boqvist, his stats isn’t better than Boqvist has  and we have our own Boqvist. Holtz isn’t a hockey iq master and it’s not a thing that coach can teach. 
But they are all have their own pluses and flashes in their game and I will be happy with any of them. 

Rossi is definitely NOT slow. No idea where you’re getting that from. He’s actually one of the best skaters in this draft class. 

As for him being too small? He’s already 180 lbs, and plays like he’s much bigger (think Marchand). 

• Like 2

I went for Sanderson because I've read he would be NHL ready sooner than the others would be fw's.  We all wonder if any of the 10-20 picks would graduate to NHL like McAvoy, Barzal,  Pasternak, etc  Under the surface, which ones are hidden gems? (Jarvis? Guhle? Neighbors) 

I think this team needs some size. Doesn't/won't come in the draft necessarily, but I too are not excited about Rossi/Perfetti/Quinn.  It's been suggested (Twitter) you don't pass on that kind of (offensive) talent.  Unless you get one of the top 3 guys, the others will be at least a couple years away. A year or two from now, we'll be saying, how did we miss on that guy? Or others teams fans will say the same for us. 

Gotta trust in Castron at this point, even though Fitz will be the ultimate decision maker at draft table. 

I picked Sanderson because I don’t believe Rossi will be available. If he is, he’s definitely worth selecting. 5’9” and 180 isn’t that undersized in today’s NHL. He’s short, but 180 at that height is pretty solid,and of course, he’s only 18 and not yet doing NHL workouts. 

I don't trust my opinion or the pro scouts anymore.

Who I now trust are the members here who keep on saying that we should have drafted Petterssson instead of Hischier.

Whoever THEY want, that's who I want.

Edit: Oh man, I'm getting reports that hindsight 20/20 MIGHT have been involved in those cases?!? Whaaaaa!?! Man oh man, what a curveball. I don't know what to think anymore then. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Who I now trust are the members here who keep on saying that we should have drafted Petterssson instead of Hischier.

Edit: Oh man, I'm getting reports that hindsight 20/20 MIGHT have been involved in those cases?!? Whaaaaa!?! Man oh man, what a curveball. I don't know what to think anymore then. 

The only thing I am sure of is no matter who we pick, people on NJDevs will later say it was obviously the wrong idea. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Rossi is definitely NOT slow. No idea where you’re getting that from. He’s actually one of the best skaters in this draft class. 

As for him being too small? He’s already 180 lbs, and plays like he’s much bigger (think Marchand). 

Highlights(and i compare it with other speedy plaayers like Holtz, Quinn). I dont like his speed and he is short and he isn`t thin and i think he will not grow. But i like him as our 7th pick more than Perfetti. Perfetti looks like Gusev. And dosnt play two way game like Rossi. Rossi has beautiful stat and can make everything on ice. I want more speed and height for this team. Anyway if we will pick him i would be happy.

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

absolutely. Like devs  should have draft Flatley or Leeman or anyone else over Daneyko because of points.

Edited by Guadana

6 hours ago, Guadana said:

Holy sh!t Guad, I just want to point out how good your English is now compared to when you first joined the board, bravo

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Holy sh!t Guad, I just want to point out how good your English is now compared to when you first joined the board, bravo

Thanks. I`m trying to simplify sentences and read a lot of hockey(and fiction) articles.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 7

I went with Rossi because he is the highest on my list that has a chance of being available at 7. Drysdale would be my pick but I think he won't be there.

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

Highlights(and i compare it with other speedy plaayers like Holtz, Quinn). I dont like his speed and he is short and he isn`t thin and i think he will not grow. But i like him as our 7th pick more than Perfetti. Perfetti looks like Gusev. And dosnt play two way game like Rossi. Rossi has beautiful stat and can make everything on ice. I want more speed and height for this team. Anyway if we will pick him i would be happy.

I'm by no means an expert but I definitely haven't seen/read what you have in relation to Rossi. He is described to be a really well rounded player that has a ton of upside on skill despite that he doesn't use it every single play. He just does what he has to so the job gets done, not always the most flashy. There are a lot of highlights of him transitioning the puck from his own zone and carrying it with speed into the O-zone and getting a scoring chance. Is he the best skater in the draft, probably not, but he doesn't seem to need it when you take in the rest of what he has/does.

I wouldn't stick my nose up at getting Holtz who has the size along with the skill. Holtz looks like more of a pure goal scorer and I haven't seen anyone saying he is an amazing skater or anything. Where Rossi is pretty good at everything, Holtz seems like he is really good at one or two things(so far).

I'd pick Rossi. As much as it put me off that he's on the smaller side I've seen him battle very effectively against bigger guys and he's good at both ends of the ice. Having said that I don't expect him to be on the board when the Devils pick and I'd be happy if they picked Holtz. The guy can shoot and the team has a real need for players who can put the puck in the net.

29 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm by no means an expert but I definitely haven't seen/read what you have in relation to Rossi. He is described to be a really well rounded player that has a ton of upside on skill despite that he doesn't use it every single play. He just does what he has to so the job gets done, not always the most flashy. There are a lot of highlights of him transitioning the puck from his own zone and carrying it with speed into the O-zone and getting a scoring chance. Is he the best skater in the draft, probably not, but he doesn't seem to need it when you take in the rest of what he has/does.

I wouldn't stick my nose up at getting Holtz who has the size along with the skill. Holtz looks like more of a pure goal scorer and I haven't seen anyone saying he is an amazing skater or anything. Where Rossi is pretty good at everything, Holtz seems like he is really good at one or two things(so far).

May be we use different rank system, but when i try to understand is a player fast or slow i try to compare him with defensmen who try to catch him, and in opposit situation i look at how fast he is when he try to take away a puck from forwards. And i didnt see a moment in highlights when Rossi makes a breakaway with winning the race. When he play in D-zone he uses his body and stick absolutely well, but he lose about half or full step. He can make a dive play, he can change position to better change a zone, he can intercept. But speed isn`t his trump. And Holtz is an absolutly faster skater than Rossi. And like i said Rossi can do everything in contrast to other guys in this draft who will be available for us for 7th. I still think he will be a great pick for us and i`m only trying to understand what this team specifically needs in. And i think NJD needs in guys like Sanderson(not slow, big, smart defensive defensman with first pass) and Quinn or Holtz(puck scorers with speed). I don't have a lot of confidence that Sanderson and Quinn won't be a disappointment, I don't like Holtz's hockey sense, and I think he doesn't read the game well, Quinn is older than he should be, and last year he wasn't as brilliant as he is now or as Rossi was last year. Sanderson can turn into a pumpkin. Reason why i`m ok with any of top 10. Only Perfetti isn`t my choice because i really don`t like his skating ability and he cant return in d-zone and do the job. I really want more height and speed, it`s painfull to see how teams like Columbus or Boston over-pressing us. And sometimes would like to see some goals.

I get wanting size, but the way the game is played these days the smaller guys are having more success than ever. If anything, I’d be more concerned with having a little more size on the blue line. Forward not as much. And a player can have all the size in the world like Nikita Popugaev, but that’s obviously not a guarantee he’ll work out. 

Also, some of Lindy Ruff’s best teams in Buffalo had really small star players. 

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I get wanting size, but the way the game is played these days the smaller guys are having more success than ever. If anything, I’d be more concerned with having a little more size on the blue line. Forward not as much. Although, a player can have all the size in the world like Nikita Popugaev, but that’s obviously not a guarantee he’ll work out. 

Also, some of Lindy Ruff’s best teams in Buffalo had really small star players. 

Drury, Briere, Gerbe come to mind. The latter not a star but man could he play in that Sabres’ system 

Player will develop or not no matter what size he is. Besides Popugaev world knows about Goc, Yakupov, Petan. They have good stat on their level. Sabres had Vanek, Hecht was athletic guy, Connolly, Kotalik, Stafford, and besides Cambpell their d-line was 6.01+. I`m not against small guys(especcialy if they are fast like Jarvis for example), i dont think that kindergarten is a new shiny brand that will lead us to Valhalla. Valhallette may be. A weak attempt to fit the facts to the narrative.

Interested who the “other” choice should be? I thought I had the most likely options covered. I guess maybe Quinn or Askarov, but they both seem more like our 2 pick range. I’d be really surprised to see either one go as high as 7. 

23 hours ago, Guadana said:

I’m in Sanderson camp. But ... I will be happy with any of them. 
...Only Perfetti isn`t my choice

And I will be happy if our second pick will be Jarvis(I want to pick Quinn). If we will. I was too strict to Rossi in my first post. Majority of the most successful first-round players from the last drafts are tall guys btw. 
And in the darkness of the long wait, I cherish remnants of hope that Fitz will make the right choice. the most right, not almost.

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, Guadana said:

And I will be happy if our second pick will be Jarvis(I want to pick Quinn). If we will. I was too strict to Rossi in my first post. Majority of the most successful first-round players from the last drafts are tall guys btw. 
And in the darkness of the long wait, I cherish remnants of hope that Fitz will make the right choice. the most right, not almost.

Yet either Quinn Hughes or Cale Makar will win the Calder this year, and they’re 5’10 and 5’11 respectively...

Edited by Nicomo

I also look at the top ten players in scoring this season, and 4 of them are smaller guys <6ft (Panarin, Kucherov, Marchand, Kane). Players like Matthews don’t grow on trees. And when the big guys are that skilled they go top 3 like Byfield will. 

3 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yet either Quinn Hughes or Cale Makar will win the Calder this year, and they’re 5’10 and 5’11 respectively...

I talk about "majority" you talk about cases. Top 10 or top 20 are all special players. And if we look at all picture - top 3 are 6`0+.  Only 4 players are shorter than 6`0 in top 20. And every top small player like Marchand play with guys like Bergeron and Pasternak. Kucherov play with Stamkos and tampa still have 2nd line with 6`0+. In our top 6 only Nico is higher than 6`00. Only Foote is looking like top-6 material and big too. Bratt, Gusev, Palms, J Hughes are shorties.

Do you think Pavel Zacha is our potential top-6 player?

Edited by Guadana

Surprised Perfetti or Holtz didn't get a vote (although not many voted) I'd like Holtz at 7, (has size & finishing skills) but take Sanderson if available.