1. 1. Who’s your pick?

• Jamie Drysdale
    • Cole Perfetti
    • Marco Rossi
    • Lucas Raymond
    • Alexander Holtz
    • Jake Sanderson
    • Other

For me, it's either Rossi or Raymond at the moment, with a slight edge to Rossi. Rossi seems like the total package. Just about every aspect of his game is strong, without a single red flag that I've been able to identify. I think he'd be in the top 2 discussion with Byfield and Stutzle if he were just a few inches taller.

While I think Holtz is the exact type of player this team needs, Raymond's skill is too hard to overlook. His skating, passing, intensity, and creativity really show that he's got what it takes to be a great NHL player if he can put it all together. While he's advertised as a playmaker, he can score too. The only red flag is his weak production at the higher levels. I think it's fair to be worried about that, but also to put it in context that he's this younger and relatively small player on a limited role in a men's league. 

12 hours ago, Guadana said:

I talk about "majority" you talk about cases. Top 10 or top 20 are all special players. And if we look at all picture - top 3 are 6`0+.  Only 4 players are shorter than 6`0 in top 20. And every top small player like Marchand play with guys like Bergeron and Pasternak. Kucherov play with Stamkos and tampa still have 2nd line with 6`0+. In our top 6 only Nico is higher than 6`00. Only Foote is looking like top-6 material and big too. Bratt, Gusev, Palms, J Hughes are shorties.

Do you think Pavel Zacha is our potential top-6 player?

Well, I’m certainly not taking someone just to fill some quota of taller players. You take the BPA. And I think my “cases” make a good point considering they’re both Calder finalists, and two of the best young dmen in the game right now. There’s probably at least a couple teams kicking themselves for not taking Quinn Hughes, and I wouldn’t be at all surprised if his lack of size had something to do with that.

As for Zacha? I’ve been pretty critical of him over the years (although not quite mfitz level), but I don’t think it’s that unrealistic to have him in the top 6. He centered our best line down the stretch when he was playing with Gusev. Although if Jack becomes what we all hope Zacha would have to move to wing. But Zacha now finally has a “real” NHL coach in Ruff, so I’d say this should be his last chance.

1 hour ago, Satans Hockey said:

I dont know any of these guys and talking about the draft is about as fun to me as watching paint dry so I'll take whichever one is going to be the best NHL player over the next decade. Thanks in advance. 

Sorry for trying to get some discussion going. Please resume bitching about goal songs or whatever other more important topics get all the attention around here.

23 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

As for Zacha? I’ve been pretty critical of him over the years (although not quite mfitz level), but I don’t think it’s that unrealistic to have him in the top 6. 

If you have Zacha in your top 6, your roster is sh!t. 

How’s that??

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Sorry for trying to get some discussion going. Please resume bitching about goal songs or whatever other more important topics get all the attention around here.

I thought it was pretty obvious I was half joking around, I know nothing about these guys so I figured I'd be honest instead of talking out of my ass about something I know nothing about lol

Do you not want the one who is gonna be the best player over the next decade? Lol 

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If you have Zacha in your top 6, your roster is sh!t. 

How’s that??

30 point Zacha I agree. If he can take the next step and be a 20 goal 40-50 point guy I could live with it. Let’s see if Ruff can do anything with him. And before you say 20 goals is unrealistic...he did have 13 in 61 GP last season. 

23 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

I thought it was pretty obvious I was half joking around, I know nothing about these guys so I figured I'd be honest instead of talking out of my ass about something I know nothing about lol

Do you not want the one who is gonna be the best player over the next decade? Lol 

It’s all good. It just sucks how dead the board is right now. I lurk on other sites like HF and Reddit and they’re always active. I just don’t want to join those places. Lol

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

30 point Zacha I agree. If he can take the next step and be a 20 goal 40-50 point guy I could live with it. Let’s see if Ruff can do anything with him. And before you say 20 goals is unrealistic...he did have 13 in 61 GP last season. 

That’s still a problem as far as I’m concerned. It necessarily means either Nico or Jack is a total bust. 

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s still a problem as far as I’m concerned. It necessarily means either Nico or Jack is a total bust. 

No it doesn’t. I stated Zacha being in the top 6 probably means he’s been moved to wing. 

And Nico has already proven he’s not a bust. 

I’ll accept that, it’s not as bad if he’s a wing.

I think Nico has proven that also. If he were demoted to the third line in favor of Zacha, it would probably have taken a monumental failure on his part. 

But we’re talking wing, so that’s irrelevant. I think he’s more of a wing personally, but he and Gusev did get it rolling a little last season (for us, this season for some teams lol) didn’t they. 

For me, the easy choice is Lucas Raymond, who I have #3 on my board. When you're talking about a complete package of mobility, skill, creativity, and defensive maturity, I don't think Raymond is matched by the players listed above. His processing speed is top notch, and he already plays a very mature defensive game for a player his age. People point to his production this season as a red flag, however, that's with the missing context that Frolunda only played him ~9 minutes a night with no powerplay time. When he was given more ice time during Champions Hockey League games, he naturally produced more, and he's been a top player at both the junior and international levels, including a massive Gold medal game last summer at the U18's.

If he's there at 7th, I don't have much doubt in my mind he's the best player available. I wouldn't be surprised if the organization has their eyes on Jake Sanderson, but Raymond would be my choice.

• Thanks 1

On 7/21/2020 at 4:21 AM, Nicomo said:

It’s all good. It just sucks how dead the board is right now. I lurk on other sites like HF and Reddit and they’re always active. I just don’t want to join those places. Lol

Because board is dead right now I tell about my dream today. Devils trade for  2nd oap and pick Sanderson. I was shocked and disappointed. Devs send 7oap and Anthony Brodeur to LA. How great and unrealistic this trade is.

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Because board is dead right now I tell about my dream today. Devils trade for  2nd oap and pick Sanderson. I was shocked and disappointed. Devs send 7oap and Anthony Brodeur to LA. How great and unrealistic this trade is.

Pretty unrealistic. Do we even still have control over Anthony Brodeur? 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Anthony Brodeur is a backup goalie for a college hockey team. 

To get from 7th to 2nd you’d be looking at 7th+Smith or 7th+Foote+2rd pick to even get them to pick up the phone. The cost is prohibitive for a talent-deprived team.

Can you believe Anthony is already 25 years old?  

Just finished his 4th year of college too, so I'm guessing if he wants to try to keep playing, it'll have to be in the ECHL or something along those lines. 

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just finished his 4th year of college too, so I'm guessing if he wants to try to keep playing, it'll have to be in the ECHL or something along those lines. 

Yeah, that was the 2013 draft. Seems like forever ago at this point, and yet still, it seems like he should not be 25 years old. 

45 minutes ago, MB3 said:

Anthony Brodeur is a backup goalie for a college hockey team. 

To get from 7th to 2nd you’d be looking at 7th+Smith or 7th+Foote+2rd pick to even get them to pick up the phone. The cost is prohibitive for a talent-deprived team.

How could I have miscalculated in my dream? I dont think that 7th+Smith is enough. For example Rod Schremp, Kostitsyn or Corey Locke had more ppg in recent past than Rossi. Byfield is an option with a good guarantee. I don't know how the stars should align for Byfield or Stutzle  be available for 7th pick. Ottawa decide that they need in offensive and defensive defensmen, Yzerman must decide that Rossi is his new Pavel Datsyuk, but there is Anaheim still. Dreams-dreams...

2mfitz As i understand Anthony is a free bird. 

Edited by Guadana

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

His brother (Jeremie)  is playing in UK. He may have a shot there. maybe play for Cardiff Devils?

I'd rather have an unadulterated PPG guy like we had with Kovy.

You gotta put one in to win!

So what about the next pics depending on where they land? If the Vancouver pick stays at 17 should we trade it for immediate defensive help or say Askarov is still on the table do we draft him and have a future 1a/1b situation with Blackwood and Askarov? Does anyone think he’ll still even be on the board at 17? 

I’ve seen Devils fans suggest we trade at least one of the two remaining picks after the 7th for defensive help but I just think I’d rather use the picks to draft. 

• 1 month later...
On 7/21/2020 at 2:45 AM, Nicomo said:

I have an irrational fear of drafting Swedes. Other than Bratt we’ve had such bad luck with them lol

Well to be fair, considering how bad our drafting have been for over a decade with Conte... we've had bad luck with just about any nationality lol

• Like 1