1. 1. Who’s your pick?

• Jamie Drysdale
    • Cole Perfetti
    • Marco Rossi
    • Lucas Raymond
    • Alexander Holtz
    • Jake Sanderson
    • Other

I'm just hoping this draft class is as deep as folks SAY it is.  Most times I ignore rumors,(most are bs) but there was one circulating that Blues would rather trade Steen's contract for a first round pick to clear space for Pietrangelo? (a la P. Marleau to Canes last year) 

Is no one picking Drysdale because he's probably going to be off the board by 7?  Seems like the next Makar / Q. Hughes / Heiskanen, can't miss kinda guy that we desperately need.

I'm also surprised to see the support for Rossi.  Kid's a monster, but.. we're small enough as it is aren't we?  And listen I know it's the new NHL but you can't put Hughes and Rossi on a line together and expect to get anywhere in the playoffs imo.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Is no one picking Drysdale because he's probably going to be off the board by 7?  Seems like the next Makar / Q. Hughes / Heiskanen, can't miss kinda guy that we desperately need.

I'm also surprised to see the support for Rossi.  Kid's a monster, but.. we're small enough as it is aren't we?  And listen I know it's the new NHL but you can't put Hughes and Rossi on a line together and expect to get anywhere in the playoffs imo.

Tampa Bay disagrees. 

We’re not anywhere close to being a complete enough team to worry about exact right fit or needs. We need help pretty much everywhere. If Rossi is still on the board at 7 then both Drysdale and Sanderson are probably gone. And you RUN to the podium to take Rossi. He really could be seen as the BPA anywhere in the 2nd tier of players (4-9). Depending on who you ask. 

And lastly he doesn’t play small. At all. When you’re 180 lbs at 5”9 that’s pretty damn solid. You never see Brad Marchand getting pushed around (quite the opposite), and it won’t be a issue for Rossi either. 

• Like 2

If somehow both Drysdale and Sanderson are still on the board at 7 that would be a really tough choice for me. Rossi is obviously gone in that scenario, so which Dman do we take? Drysdale has the better offensive game, and could end up being another young star like Makar or Hughes, but Sanderson could end up being a true shutdown top pairing guy like a Seth Jones. I certainly wouldn’t want to have to make that decision. I doubt they’re both there anyway though. 

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

Tampa Bay disagrees. 

We’re not anywhere close to being a complete enough team to worry about exact right fit or needs. We need help pretty much everywhere. If Rossi is still on the board at 7 then both Drysdale and Sanderson are probably gone. And you RUN to the podium to take Rossi. He really could be seen as the BPA anywhere in the 2nd tier of players (4-9). Depending on who you ask. 

And lastly he doesn’t play small. At all. When you’re 180 lbs at 5”9 that’s pretty damn solid. You never see Brad Marchand getting pushed around (quite the opposite), and it won’t be a issue for Rossi either. 

Wasn't the dig on Tampa prior to this playoffs that they lacked the size and grit required to get past a team like Columbus?  Entirely possible that was a a #boomer take perpetuated by TSN though.

But that aside, no you're right and that's fair.  If he's somehow there at 7 and the defensemen are gone we'd be crazy not to take him.  I guess I'm just hoping, really hoping, that Drysdale somehow falls to us.  He won't, but... hey, a guy can dream.

And do your last point - well said, fair point.  I'll be honest and tell you that I saw 5'-9" and stopped there, didn't look into his weight / build.  5'-9" and 180 is pretty thick, especially as a young kid.

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Wasn't the dig on Tampa prior to this playoffs that they lacked the size and grit required to get past a team like Columbus?  Entirely possible that was a a #boomer take perpetuated by TSN though.

Well they did make a Cup run back in 15 and only lost to the Hawks in the finals. The Triplets line was a major part of their success. And two of those guys are under 6ft. Tyler Johnson is actually the exact same height and weight as Rossi.

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

If somehow both Drysdale and Sanderson are still on the board at 7 that would be a really tough choice for me. Rossi is obviously gone in that scenario, so which Dman do we take? Drysdale has the better offensive game, and could end up being another young star like Makar or Hughes, but Sanderson could end up being a true shutdown top pairing guy like a Seth Jones. I certainly wouldn’t want to have to make that decision. I doubt they’re both there anyway though. 

Thing is look at all the top shut down dmen in the league... and through history i guess.... and where they were picked... like 90% of them were not first round picks.

So i'd really rather pick a high ceiling / skilled guy with a high pick and try to get a good shutdown man in later rounds.

25 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Thing is look at all the top shut down dmen in the league... and through history i guess.... and where they were picked... like 90% of them were not first round picks.

So i'd really rather pick a high ceiling / skilled guy with a high pick and try to get a good shutdown man in later rounds.

Drew Doughty #2OA, Seth Jones #4OA, Alex Pietrangelo #4OA, Ryan Suter #7OA...

The best of this generation is probably Doughty, and look how high he went. Columbus is probably a lottery team without Seth Jones. Pietrangelo Just helped St. Louis win their first Cup.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all to go for a true shutdown guy with a high pick. Especially when we have some guys in the system that have high offensive upsides like Ty Smith, Reilly Walsh, and Will Butcher. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Drew Doughty #2OA, Seth Jones #4OA, Alex Pietrangelo #4OA, Ryan Suter #7OA...

The best of this generation is probably Doughty, and look how high he went. Columbus is probably a lottery team without Seth Jones. Pietrangelo Just helped St. Louis win their first Cup.

I don’t think it’s a bad thing at all to go for a true shutdown guy with a high pick. Especially when we have some guys in the system that have high offensive upsides like Ty Smith, Reilly Walsh, and Will Butcher. 

Well those were projected and are amazing 2-ways dmen. Not just shutdown dmen.

I don't thing Sanderson has that 2 way game like those guys do. Scouts are saying he "recently" find some sort of offensive game but that might have been just a good streak

36 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well those were projected and are amazing 2-ways dmen. Not just shutdown dmen.

I don't thing Sanderson has that 2 way game like those guys do. Scouts are saying he "recently" find some sort of offensive game but that might have been just a good streak

I could absolutely see him being similar to a Ryan Suter. But the player I’ve seen him mostly compared to is Ryan McDonagh. 2x All Star who was drafted not that far off (#12) from where we’d be taking Sanderson.

Edited by Nicomo

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Tampa Bay disagrees. 

I like how you did the same mistake time after time. Marchand doesn`t play with hughes and bratt or palmieri on the same line. Marchand has heavy and speedy goalscorer in his line. And goalscoring center. Rossi is BPA, just not for us.

Anyway it`s difference how we see a hockey game. I`m absolutely agree with you on Sanderson. He is my #3 in this draft(because we have Hischier and Hughes). Like i said in other topic - Heiskanen > Makar. And guys like Makar, or Hughes, or Karlsson give a very big impact to their teams.  But Pietrangelo, Doughty and Suter completely change the game and give the maximum opportunity to reveal their partners in the game.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I like how you did the same mistake time after time. Marchand doesn`t play with hughes and bratt or palmieri on the same line. Marchand has heavy and speedy goalscorer in his line. And goalscoring center. Rossi is BPA, just not for us.

I’ve already pointed out a small line that was extremely effective with the Triplets line. Rossi does not play small. You’re way too hung up on his height. Pairing him with Hughes would not be a problem. In fact, given how good Rossi’s two-way game is he’d probably be good for Hughes. 

16 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Anyway, @Guadana if Sanderson is your #3 choice who is 1 & 2?

Laf and Stutzle. Byfield is a better option for everyone, excepte team with two centers 1 OA picks.
If you talk about 7th pick, so - Sanderson, Drys, Raymond, Holtz(i`m not excited about him) and Rossi after them. Quinn is next, Jarvis and Mercer are next. Lundell, Askarov etc. Anyone except Perfetti =-D

45 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve already pointed out a small line that was extremely effective with the Triplets line. Rossi does not play small. You’re way too hung up on his height. Pairing him with Hughes would not be a problem. In fact, given how good Rossi’s two-way game is he’d probably be good for Hughes. 

Rather, you focus solely on height. Rossi slows down the game, and Ottawa 67` built the game through him. In this draft, we need to strengthen Hughes ' line in the future. And what you're suggesting is taking a two-way forward who won't help translate Hughes ' talents. Rossi plays great against kids in the OHL, it's not an adult League. And in the NHL, New Jersey has the thinnest roster and almost the lowest. Both Boston and Tampa have enough players over 6`0, which is not true of New Jersey. Little hockey is a fairy tale in which the big and evil guys from Washington and St. Louis win. This year, Tampa can take the Cup, they have enough 6`0 guys.
Raymond and Holtz are talented in their own way. Raymond is a fast, aggressive player, a forechecker who works with a stick, an explosive player on both sides of the rink. He is the only one with the potential to be better than Lafrenier, what is BPA if not this? Holtz is just a potential goalscorer for 35-45 goals. He's weak in many aspects of the game, but 35-45 goals, Carl(this joke is more for me. I don`t like Holtz play style, but i cant ignore his goal scoring potential).
If we have 7th and 9th i would say another things. Rossi, Hughes and Quinn or Mercer is a tough high potential line. It`s a dream Hynes ruined somehow.
I dont like to pick only for stats because best playing is difficult to measure when hockey players play in different leagues, on different rinks against completely different opponents. I prefer to look directly at how prospects play, what  their distinctive features are. Toronto was built on numbers, and I don't like the way it works in Toronto right now.

Anyway Fitz will pick Rossi. I'm pretty sure of it.

Edited by Guadana

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You don’t pass on a talent like Rossi because your team is currently on the smaller side. You take him and then worry about adding size elsewhere (later rounds, future drafts, trades, FA, etc). 

It`s not an argument. You don`t pass on a talent like Raymond because you have two way overager player with big numbers in childish league. You take him and then worry about adding two way players elsewhere.

Just now, Guadana said:

It`s not an argument. You don`t pass on a talent like Raymond because you have two way overager player with big numbers in childish league. You take him and then worry about adding two way players elsewhere.

I’d be pretty happy with Raymond. Especially since @CommonDreads is so high on him. 

Out of the somewhat realistic options at #7 my preference order would probably be...

Rossi, Drysdale, Sanderson, Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti

Although honestly I could easily swap the two dmen depending on the day. I’d love to get either one. 

Maybe we will be lucky and Fitz will be able to make a trade for a high pick. I`m more worring about 18 and 20 picks. There is a chance that all interesting fast and agressive prospects will not be available.

I like Raymond more than others, but the Devils need Sanderson best and Drysdale after. Inaccurate comparison - if you choose for today's devils, who is more important to take Niedermayer or Elias.

Edited by Guadana

34 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

What im really hoping is that Askarov somehow make it to #18 and that we could pick him. I know it won't happen especially with so many teams in front of us with a goaltending need in a near future

Yeah, I think that ship sailed when the Arizona pick dropped back so many spots. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, I think that ship sailed when the Arizona pick dropped back so many spots. 

it sucks cause even with 3 picks... i feel all our picks are juuuuust a few spots outside of where i'd be REALLY happy with them lol Like give me pick 5, 11 and 20 and i'm dancing.

That being said we're obviously assured to land one of Raymond, Drysdale, Rossi, Holtz or Sanderson. And all those guys should be pretty good. But none of those are a must draft for me either, so i'd be down to trade any of those picks if the return was decent. We have so many players that we still don't know what we have... Nico we don't know yet if he'll get to the next level, Hughes we don't know, Smith we don't know.. is blackwood the real deal? But then goaltenders are hot one year and terrible the next... he's far from proven... will Subban bounce back?... have we seen Zacha's full potential? lol i mean... our whole core is uncertain... so i wouldnt mind trading for a young player that showed what he could do in the NHL.

There's also a big lack of Dmen projected in the first round too... there's only like 5-6 total

• Like 2

Our scouts are going to earn their stripes with the 18 & 20 picks.  Although I really think Fitz is going to trade one of those 2 picks. For top 6 fw or top 4 D man. Arizona not having any picks in 1st 3 rounds might have to sacrifice a young stud player. (Chychrun/Dvorak)?

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Our scouts are going to earn their stripes with the 18 & 20 picks.  Although I really think Fitz is going to trade one of those 2 picks. For top 6 fw or top 4 D man. Arizona not having any picks in 1st 3 rounds might have to sacrifice a young stud player. (Chychrun/Dvorak)?

Can you confirm how it is the # 20 pick.  Seems like Vancouver is still in, no?