• Jamie Drysdale
    • Cole Perfetti
    • Marco Rossi
    • Lucas Raymond
    • Alexander Holtz
    • Jake Sanderson
    • Other

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

There’s another Hughes brother in next year’s draft too. 

Tinfoil hat me is convinced there's going to be a Hughes arms race in 2021 between Vancouver and NJ. If one team snags him and had some success, you know the third brother is going there at some point. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Tinfoil hat me is convinced there's going to be a Hughes arms race in 2021 between Vancouver and NJ. If one team snags him and had some success, you know the third brother is going there at some point. 

Luke will be a lottery pick, and if Vancouver is in the lottery next year, they will have taken a big step back. The Devils on the other hand.....

• 4 weeks later...

There are rumors we’re taking Askarov with the 7th OA pick according to P&P.

https://pucksandpitchforks.com/2020/09/30/new-jersey-devils-prepare-yaroslav-askarov-nhl-draft/

As the saying goes, “when there’s smoke, there’s fire.” There is a ton of smoke around the New Jersey Devils and Russian goalie Yaroslav Askarov. Lot’s of national pundits, including noted Devils’ fan and ESPN reporter Greg Wyshynski, along with one of the most connected reporters in the game Elliotte Freidman, have heard that Askarov and the Devils are a match with the seventh-overall pick.”

Honestly not sure how I feel about this. I do want to draft Askarov but not at 7. I’d rather try to package one or both of the 18th and 20th picks to try to trade up and grab him in the early teens and use the 7th for Drysdale, Rossi, Raymond, etc.

• Like 1

i just watched a bunch of video on Askarov, and now I want him on our team. I am not sure I want him enough to use the #7 that way, but he does look like the real deal at age 18. 

I think he's going to go somewhere between the Wild's #9 and Carolina's #13. So who up there has cap issues and would let us take on a sh!t contract and swap with our 18th pick (or ideally the 20th, but who is taking that when we also have 18 to offer?)?

Having watched videos of Askarov over the summer I'd absolutely love him to play for the Devils. That's no knock on Blackwood but teams need two decent goalies and I don't think there's anyone close to being NHL level in the farm system.

You can't be unhappy about having a player like Askarov in your system but I'm pretty sure I'll feel like we've missed the opportunity of adding a top six forward if he's taken at seven. God knows what it would cost to trade up to get him though.

5 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

Having watched videos of Askarov over the summer I'd absolutely love him to play for the Devils. That's no knock on Blackwood but teams need two decent goalies and I don't think there's anyone close to being NHL level in the farm system.

You can't be unhappy about having a player like Askarov in your system but I'm pretty sure I'll feel like we've missed the opportunity of adding a top six forward if he's taken at seven. God knows what it would cost to trade up to get him though.

Probably something like either this year's #18 or #20 + next year's 1st-rounder, or both the #18 and #20...not easy to move into the top 10 without giving up a lot.  

If that lands the Devils Askarov and Rossi...man it would suck to not have that third first-rounder (especially with all of the Devils' needs) in what sure seems like a plenty deep draft class, but that's a hell of a haul.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

Would it take both of them to trade up or one and a prospect? Deep draft will put the price of trading up won't it?

It would probably take both. And ya know what- I’d do it if it meant getting to keep 7 and getting a high end D or forward, plus Askarov.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aitchmack said:

Would it take both of them to trade up or one and a prospect? Deep draft will put the price of trading up won't it?

That was my thought. It would probably be pretty expensive given the the guys that might fall in the 10-15 range. You are really going to need to make it worth it for a team like Minnesota to give up their pick. Maybe NJ can get another first in 2021 to take a bad contract from someone to leverage instead of using both this year to move op...but with an internal budget who knows what the plan is. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Probably something like either this year's #18 or #20 + next year's 1st-rounder, or both the #18 and #20...not easy to move into the top 10 without giving up a lot.  

If that lands the Devils Askarov and Rossi...man it would suck to not have that third first-rounder (especially with all of the Devils' needs) in what sure seems like a plenty deep draft class, but that's a hell of a haul.  

Next year’s 1st should definitely be off the table. Unless it’s lottery protected. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

That would be a pretty amazing haul.

Yeah it would be. Which is why I’d have no issue moving 18 and 20 to get up to get Askarov. One of Rossi, Holtz, Drysdale, Sanderson, Raymond/Askarov would be outstanding. 

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Next year’s 1st should definitely be off the table. Unless it’s lottery protected. 

Yes, we have a very good chance for that to be a very high pick so that should be held onto. 

20 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

It would probably take both. And ya know what- I’d do it if it meant getting to keep 7 and getting a high end D or forward, plus Askarov.

Yup, arguably that's exactly what you hope for when you trade for other teams' first round picks. I don't think you plan to draft with all 3, or at least you think about having the freedom to move one for something else. 

Trading 18 and 20 for a higher pick and taking Askarov sounds good to me. 

• Like 3

If he’s still there at 11-12 I wonder if the Preds or Panthers would make a trade. The Panthers definitely do not need another goalie or goalie prospect.

Not sure about the Preds prospects but they seem more of a win now type team (even though they hired Hynes). They have Rinne and even though he’s getting older they might not want to draft Askarov. They might be interested in trading down.

Edited by Jerzey

8 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Put yourself in their shoes.  How would you feel about the Devils trading number 7 for picks 16 and 18? 

You’re talking about a team trading #11 or 12 or something in that vicinity for 18 and 20 though. 

Edited by MadDog2020

2 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You’re talking about a team trading #11 or 12 or something in that vicinity for 18 and 20 though. 

Right, that's more like what I am talking about. 

8 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

If he’s still there at 11-12 I wonder if the Preds or Panthers would make a trade. The Panthers definitely do not need another goalie or goalie prospect.

Not sure about the Preds prospects but they seem more of a win now type team (even though they hired Hynes). They have Rinne and even though he’s getting older they might not want to draft Askarov. They might be interested in trading down.

That's my thinking on the topic. 

10 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Put yourself in their shoes.  How would you feel about the Devils trading number 7 for picks 16 and 18? 

By that logic, nobody would ever trade up or down, and we do know that it happens.

• Like 1