• Jamie Drysdale
    • Cole Perfetti
    • Marco Rossi
    • Lucas Raymond
    • Alexander Holtz
    • Jake Sanderson
    • Other

19 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You’re talking about a team trading #11 or 12 or something in that vicinity for 18 and 20 though. 

Yeah I suppose you're right.  I was trying to see it from a different perspective but there are just too many variables.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Next year’s 1st should definitely be off the table. Unless it’s lottery protected. 

No arguments from me.  I was just spitballing what it might take to try to nab a second pick in the top 10.  

Depending on how high the Devils would try to move up, it might take #18, #20, and something else (like a 3rd-rounder).  They have two thirds to work with next year...maybe they could package one of those, if that's what it takes.   

• Like 1

Another possibility (one that's not sexy, but when we have nothing but time at the moment as Devils fans, that's what we do...think of every last possibility)...if Fitz thinks he get can get Askarov at lower than #7 (but not too much lower) and is really that bullish on him, does he dare trade down 2-3 spots, and try to pick up a second-rounder?  Devils don't have one of their own this season.  

Of course I'd love to see them move up and really try to strike gold with 2 top-half first round picks.  

fvck it's so damn tricky.

To me it comes down to... if Rossi or Drysdale are on the board... you take them. 

Then any of the other guys are on par with Askarov to me, so i'd trust our scouts. Fully aware that even the best decision could endup not being the right one in hindsight.

Holtz would be filling a need IF he does develop cause we really fvcking need scorers to play with Nico and Jack. But i'm not 100% sold on him.

Sanderson has been a riser and would be filling an obvious need. Not 100% sold on his offensive side yet though and i'm not sure using a top pick like that to pick a defensive dman vs a great 2way or offensive/pp guy. But he may develop into that, he's been rising quite a bit, too bad the season got cut short.

Raymond will be a good player but i'm not sure he's a good fit. We already have 2 pass first centres who are not shooting enough... we need people to score in that top 6. But then he reminds me of Marner do i dunno.

Perfetti i'm also not too sold on him. 

To be fair, i'm not a scout and guys i'm not sold on could turn into absolute superstars for all i know.

And i know how risky it is to draft goalies. But if Askarov really develop into what he's projected to be. Then we'd have a really good problem in net with him and blackwood. Then we can trade Blackwood for something good worst comes to worst. I'm also still not sold on Blackwood.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Another possibility (one that's not sexy, but when we have nothing but time at the moment as Devils fans, that's what we do...think of every last possibility)...if Fitz thinks he get can get Askarov at lower than #7 (but not too much lower) and is really that bullish on him, does he dare trade down 2-3 spots, and try to pick up a second-rounder?  Devils don't have one of their own this season.  

Of course I'd love to see them move up and really try to strike gold with 2 top-half first round picks.  

i don't think the Sabres will pick Askarov but i could see the Wild drafting him as Guerin addressed the need for a goalie not long ago. So not sure it would be worth it to risk

2 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i don't think the Sabres will pick Askarov but i could see the Wild drafting him as Guerin addressed the need for a goalie not long ago. So not sure it would be worth it to risk

Fitz isn't making that kind of a move unless he's sure it won't cost him Askarov (or whoever he thinks he can get at a little lower than #7 that he really wants).  

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

And i know how risky it is to draft goalies. But if Askarov really develop into what he's projected to be. Then we'd have a really good problem in net with him and blackwood. Then we can trade Blackwood for something good worst comes to worst. I'm also still not sold on Blackwood.

The bolded happening would be the soggiest of dreams.  Just seeing ONE goalie go an extended run last season was a most welcome sight.  

If rossi is on board  i`m not. I like words what writers write about him. But i`m not excited about his videos. Don`t listen me - open youtube and start to watch shift by shift videos. He is a small version of zajac with better passing ability and little under avarage skating and above avarage speed. If it is what you want from our first pick it`s ok, i want another level of talent. But I’m preparing myself for him. I'd be surprised if he's on the table and Fitz doesn't pick it.

another games

_______

Edited by Guadana

Man, I just don't see what you see @Guadana. He doesn't look slow to me, he is in position but even when he is behind the play he hustles to get back, his vision and creativity with his passing is is insane and he drives the play in a way I never remember Zajac doing. I could be wrong, but I don't think Zajac ever scored at the rate Rossi has this year. The only knocks I have are that he gets pushed around in front of the net and his shot looks a little weak but it's accurate. I still want Rossi but I'm just a guy on the internet with an opinion. :noclue: 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Man, I just don't see what you see @Guadana. He doesn't look slow to me, he is in position but even when he is behind the play he hustles to get back, his vision and creativity with his passing is is insane and he drives the play in a way I never remember Zajac doing. I could be wrong, but I don't think Zajac ever scored at the rate Rossi has this year. The only knocks I have are that he gets pushed around in front of the net and his shot looks a little weak but it's accurate. I still want Rossi but I'm just a guy on the internet with an opinion. :noclue: 

Zajac was 2 point per game player in his predraft year. I talk about theirs shot technique. I really like how rossi choose his position for shooting, but he isn`t a skill shooter. 
And his skating... i dont know may be i grew in a country where avarage or good skating was looking better than... Rossi`s skating. He hasn`t fast start, he loses half or one step in sprint against players. He is fantstic positionaly and he protect the puck well. He and Lundell are playing very mature. Very mature. Both compensate their speed by their body protecting and decision making.
Rossi, judging by the games i tracked, has a good work ethic, he works out and is almost always in the game.
He absolutely better than Zajac in passing. He makes different things that will didnt work with big defensmen with above avarage skating. But i deffenitly see he will adapte this in NHL. But he isnt as good on board as Zajac. And i dont think that he will be as dominate in NHL as he is in OHL in this aspect. But i dont think he will be weak in it. I think he will translate his game well except his shooting results. 
And I don't think Marco should be used on the wing. He works well in the center zone, makes interceptions, finds players by rolling along the blue line. He looks like a great center for the second line. But Hishier is already playing well in the centre, Hughes looked disgusting on the wing.
I think he can be a really REALLY good linemate for a guy like Bergerone and Pasternyak. But we have no pasternyak on the right wing in the entire system. And most importantly, we don't have that kind of defense even close.
I'm not saying that he will be a bad hockey player. I may have been too critical of him before, but I try to look honestly at the pros and cons. And how it works in junior hockey, how it works in adult hockey. https://pick224.com/pairings - this site has statistics on goals and assists for specific players. Rossi's partners were Garreffa and Keating. They both could play in the AHL last year and already had 90-point seasons. This was the dominant line in the OHL. Without such partners in the NHL, Rossi will not be the same dominant player. Like Zajac was with Parise. Like Zajac wasn`t without him. He's always been a useful player, but he's never been a dominant force in the NHL. I`m a big fan of Zajac. But we havn`t Parise now. Or anyone who can be as good in perspective on the right side. 

And we have an @sshole instead of defense.

Well, in General, I can be wrong about him at least because of the fact that he is known for his work ethic, love of training. Let's not forget that I am primarily expressing an opinion and finding reasons for doubt. If they choose Rossi, he will be my favorite, and I will constantly praise him for his small, inconspicuous work and accuracy in the game.

Edited by Guadana

@Guadana

No doubt his linemates helped him out but the way he creates, drives play, and finds his teammates has less to do with who he plays with and more with him. You could argue his points would be down from where they are at now without teammates that know how to finish, but you could say the same thing about a lot of other players. 

You're right, Zajac did avg 1.9 PPG, but Zajac was in BCHL. That year, the league point leader was Kyle Greentree(lol who?) who hasn't played a game in the NHL. Apparently that league is Junior A, which I had no idea about. Brett Hull and Scott Gomez played in that league.

Rossi's PPG is 2.14 in the OHL. I am just not sure how well you can compare across these two leagues but my initial response would be that the OHL has a higher caliber of talent. I wish I still had my 2003-2004 draft profile magazine so I could see what people were saying about Zajac at the time he was drafted.

36 minutes ago, T0asterleav1ns said:

I read a mock that had us taking Holtz. By all accounts he has an amazing shot and good motor but there's not much else to his game. 

Can anyone provide a better scouting report? Is he like Laine where if if hes not scoring hes completely useless? 

He’s definitely my least favorite of all the potential candidates we might take at 7. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He’s definitely my least favorite of all the potential candidates we might take at 7. 

Thanks for the video. After watching id have to agree with you. 83% of his shots coming from low danger area's is scary. 

He also looks lost in the D zone. I saw several controller disconnected moments. 

Edited by T0asterleav1ns
additional thoughts

Senators Willing to Move No. 5 Overall Pick

Ottawa Senators Chief Scout Trent Mann confirmed, in the right deal, the Senators second pick in the first round of the NHL Draft is on the table and GM Pierre Dorion is willing to make a trade. Mann spoke to media in a Zoom call Tuesday and discussed the directive of the GM along with the seven picks the Senators own in the first two rounds of the NHL Entry Draft. Mann confirmed Dorion would be listening to offers and it is believed the Senators want to stay in the top 10, which means they’re likely having discussions with teams like Anaheim, New Jersey, Buffalo, Minnesota and Winnipeg. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-september-30-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0i7HZG4PcrQ6QIibmjThc1BN6r2gVRcCoHcX-EPWzlLl0gtKzIAHobGPk 🧐🤔

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Senators Willing to Move No. 5 Overall Pick

Ottawa Senators Chief Scout Trent Mann confirmed, in the right deal, the Senators second pick in the first round of the NHL Draft is on the table and GM Pierre Dorion is willing to make a trade. Mann spoke to media in a Zoom call Tuesday and discussed the directive of the GM along with the seven picks the Senators own in the first two rounds of the NHL Entry Draft. Mann confirmed Dorion would be listening to offers and it is believed the Senators want to stay in the top 10, which means they’re likely having discussions with teams like Anaheim, New Jersey, Buffalo, Minnesota and Winnipeg. https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-september-30-2020/?fbclid=IwAR0i7HZG4PcrQ6QIibmjThc1BN6r2gVRcCoHcX-EPWzlLl0gtKzIAHobGPk 🧐🤔

kind of risky cause literally ANY player at 5 could be there at 7. 8 and beyond i feel there's a slight drop tho

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

kind of risky cause literally ANY player at 5 could be there at 7. 8 and beyond i feel there's a slight drop tho

Risky, but it depends on how the Devils have their board stacked. There may be someone (like Drysdale, for example) that Fitz is afraid Anaheim will take, and maybe he wants to get in front of them.