Jump to content

Who do you want at #7?


Who do you want at #7?  

33 members have voted

  1. 1. Who’s your pick?

    • Jamie Drysdale
    • Cole Perfetti
    • Marco Rossi
    • Lucas Raymond
    • Alexander Holtz
    • Jake Sanderson
    • Other


Recommended Posts

Our scouts are going to earn their stripes with the 18 & 20 picks.  Although I really think Fitz is going to trade one of those 2 picks. For top 6 fw or top 4 D man. Arizona not having any picks in 1st 3 rounds might have to sacrifice a young stud player. (Chychrun/Dvorak)?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thanks. I`m trying to simplify sentences and read a lot of hockey(and fiction) articles.

The only thing I am sure of is no matter who we pick, people on NJDevs will later say it was obviously the wrong idea. 

Holy sh!t Guad, I just want to point out how good your English is now compared to when you first joined the board, bravo

Posted Images

41 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

Our scouts are going to earn their stripes with the 18 & 20 picks.  Although I really think Fitz is going to trade one of those 2 picks. For top 6 fw or top 4 D man. Arizona not having any picks in 1st 3 rounds might have to sacrifice a young stud player. (Chychrun/Dvorak)?

 

Can you confirm how it is the # 20 pick.  Seems like Vancouver is still in, no?  

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm reading more opinions on the draft and I'm really surprised so many  people still hold Raymond so highly to the competition in that area. He was high on my list at first until I did more homework on the competition. I see him as more of a potentially higher ceiling but also lower floor risky pick...and I don't want another Tedenby/Zacha. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

You want more opinion - i`l give you that. Now i`m higher on Jarvis than Rossi now.  I like how Rossi can slow the game and read zones, but i`m more excited about how Raymond can play fast and agressive in both zones, how fast he uses his stick in forecheck. And how creative and agressive Jarvis in offensive zone, how he can turn over the game and how he can make  sharpen the game.

Now i`m higher on Jarvis than Rossi, Perfetti ofcourse and even Holtz. I just dont believe that if Raymond and defs are gone Fitz will decide to pick Jarvis.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Guadana said:

You want more opinion - i`l give you that. Now i`m higher on Jarvis than Rossi now.  I like how Rossi can slow the game and read zones, but i`m more excited about how Raymond can play fast and agressive in both zones, how fast he uses his stick in forecheck. And how creative and agressive Jarvis in offensive zone, how he can turn over the game and how he can make  sharpen the game.

Now i`m higher on Jarvis than Rossi, Perfetti ofcourse and even Holtz. I just dont believe that if Raymond and defs are gone Fitz will decide to pick Jarvis.

I thought Seth Jarvis was projected further down the list, like someone we could grab with the Arizona or Vancouver pick. He must have shot up. Rossi is still my favorite of the guys in the top 10 discussion but I wouldn't be upset with Holtz if Rossi is gone.

Most centers play decently at wing, the struggle comes making wings play center, and the team having such amazing center depth at center could be great for the depth chart, but also for attracting good players to want to come play with them. 

Lundell was a guy I wanted if the Arizona pick ended up being higher but no way he falls to NJ where they are picking right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see NJ move one way or the other one some of these picks come draft day. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I thought Seth Jarvis was projected further down the list, like someone we could grab with the Arizona or Vancouver pick. He must have shot up. Rossi is still my favorite of the guys in the top 10 discussion but I wouldn't be upset with Holtz if Rossi is gone.

Most centers play decently at wing, the struggle comes making wings play center, and the team having such amazing center depth at center could be great for the depth chart, but also for attracting good players to want to come play with them. 

Lundell was a guy I wanted if the Arizona pick ended up being higher but no way he falls to NJ where they are picking right now. I wouldn't be surprised to see NJ move one way or the other one some of these picks come draft day. 

Like Nicomo said Jarvis should be picked in 10-15 range. If he will be available somehow for us for ari pick - it is a holiday in villaribo and in villabajo. And I'll party on both of them. Lundell in the same category.  But i think Min or Anaheim will pick him.

Most centers play decently at wings, but most wingers play at wings more decently 😃

For me Rossi will never be a BPA. Rossi is a safe pick for everyone. Good numbers and great average level of all his skills. But this is just a safe choice for those who have not done their homework and want to protect themselves without figuring out who and what exactly is talented and how to staff the team.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it’s a little unfair to say those of us that want Rossi “haven’t done our homework.” He’s easily the prospect I’ve seen and read up on the most of any in this draft. We can fundamentally disagree on if he’d be a good fit or not, but one thing is for sure, and that’s if we draft him we’re adding an amazing player that’s probably the 2nd most NHL ready after Laf. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point, but I was talking about General managers. And I understand why fans will want to take a really good player, and not muddy Swedes with unclear perspective. In fact, I suggest making a bigger bet with a lot of risk. Well, don't take it personally. I discuss the draft as an object, not as part of a person's vision of life. There are enough problems in the world that people are judged by their views. Let's not look at hockey from this angle.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not sure what you're talking about. I never said I didn't want to pick any players because they are Swedish. I want the best player available, and I even said I'd be happy with Holtz if Rossi is gone, but Raymond seems like a riskier pick to me. He never took that next step in the SHL, so to me potentially high ceiling but also potentially lower floor. It has nothing to do with nationality other than maybe the development program or the performance of their U18 teams at worlds. 

Rossi being one of the more NHL ready players aside, if Rossi is a "safe pick" he is only a safe pick in the same way Lafrenirer would be a safe pick in that all signs point that he'll likely be a good NHL player. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

I think it’s a little unfair to say those of us that want Rossi “haven’t done our homework.” He’s easily the prospect I’ve seen and read up on the most of any in this draft. We can fundamentally disagree on if he’d be a good fit or not, but one thing is for sure, and that’s if we draft him we’re adding an amazing player that’s probably the 2nd most NHL ready after Laf. 

If he’s the 2nd most NHL ready, that lowers the odds of him being available at 7, no?

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If he’s the 2nd most NHL ready, that lowers the odds of him being available at 7, no?

Not necessarily. Being most NHL ready and being projected to have the highest ceiling are two different things. 

Edit: I'll add, yes the odds of him being there are fairly slim though, but the NHL ready part isn't why. He just looks like going to be good. If he is available at 6 Anaheim probably doesn't pass on him, and Ottawa picks at 5 and odds are they have probably seen more of Rossi than anyone.

It is really hard to predict what might happen after maybe the top 4ish...

1. Laf

2/3. Stutzle/Byfield

4. Drysdale

5/6/7/8. Perfetti/Raymond/Rossi/Holtz

9/10/11. Quinn/Lundell/Sanderson

 

Edited by NJDevils1214
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anaheim and Ottawa have old school gm`s. They don`t pick short guys under 6`0 in first rounds in last ten years. Last one was Palmeiri and Holland in 2009. If Yzerman decide to pick Sanderson or Drysdale there is a biggest chance Rossi will be available for 7th pick. 

Edited by Guadana
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not necessarily. Being most NHL ready and being projected to have the highest ceiling are two different things. 

Edit: I'll add, yes the odds of him being there are fairly slim though, but the NHL ready part isn't why. He just looks like going to be good. If he is available at 6 Anaheim probably doesn't pass on him, and Ottawa picks at 5 and odds are they have probably seen more of Rossi than anyone.

It is really hard to predict what might happen after maybe the top 4ish...

1. Laf

2/3. Stutzle/Byfield

4. Drysdale

5/6/7/8. Perfetti/Raymond/Rossi/Holtz

9/10/11. Quinn/Lundell/Sanderson

 

All I am saying is if he’s ranked that high already, also being NHL ready can only improve his chances of being drafted before we get to him. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

If he’s the 2nd most NHL ready, that lowers the odds of him being available at 7, no?

He’s probably not going to be there. I’m already preparing myself for the “worst” scenario which imo would be:

NY - Laf

LA - Byfield

OTT - Stutzle

DET - Rossi

OTT - Drysdale

ANA - Sanderson 

So we’d have Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti as the front runners here. I would think we’d go with one of the Swedes, but who knows. That’s still a really good group to chose from. Also I’m super jealous of OTT having two picks with such a good top 10 this year. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nicomo said:

He’s probably not going to be there. I’m already preparing myself for the “worst” scenario which imo would be:

NY - Laf

LA - Byfield

OTT - Stutzle

DET - Rossi

OTT - Drysdale

ANA - Sanderson 

So we’d have Raymond, Holtz, Perfetti as the front runners here. I would think we’d go with one of the Swedes, but who knows. That’s still a really good group to chose from. Also I’m super jealous of OTT having two picks with such a good top 10 this year. 

If they end up having to take a Swede I reallyyyyy hope it is Holtz.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, NJDevils1214 said:

If they end up having to take a Swede I reallyyyyy hope it is Holtz.

I’m actually a bit down on him atm. I watched a bunch of those breakdown videos from that guy Guadana posted that did the one on Jack, and his Holtz video was more negative than any I’ve seen for players projected to go top 10. Not saying he’s nothing but his shot...but it was kind of concerning. And apparently even with his shot he never really goes to the high or even medium danger areas to score. 

I think I’d much rather have Raymond or Perfetti at this point. Although the former is apparently off to a really hot start in the SHL preseason so he could end up raising his stock before the draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I’m actually a bit down on him atm. I watched a bunch of those breakdown videos from that guy Guadana posted that did the one on Jack, and his Holtz video was more negative than any I’ve seen for players projected to go top 10. Not saying he’s nothing but his shot...but it was kind of concerning. And apparently even with his shot he never really goes to the high or even medium danger areas to score. 

I think I’d much rather have Raymond or Perfetti at this point. Although the former is apparently off to a really hot start in the SHL preseason so he could end up raising his stock before the draft. 

I'm def alone in my more pessimistic opinion of Raymond.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I'm def alone in my more pessimistic opinion of Raymond.

A lot of people seem to think he could be an absolute star, and possibly the 2nd best player from this draft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

All the players in the top 9 are very good. Byfield and Lafrenier are very good for everyone and will be the dominant players of their lines. Stutzle will be very successful in the NHL. The rest of the group are very talented, but each has own positive and negative sides. And everything will depend on which teams and partners they will work with.
Raymond has excellent skating, he is a wonderful stickhandler and pokecheker. He will be a monster in forchecking. And he reads the game very well. Not as good as Rossi reads it. But Raymond is good at making quick decisions. Jarvis is better than everyone else in this aspect, but Jarvis doesn't have such good skating and he doesn't work as well in def zone. There are a lot of highlights on youtube, there are different videos with reports on the prospects, and you can find a lot of material from different journalists about them. All stats are open.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m actually a bit down on him atm. I watched a bunch of those breakdown videos from that guy Guadana posted that did the one on Jack, and his Holtz video was more negative than any I’ve seen for players projected to go top 10. Not saying he’s nothing but his shot...but it was kind of concerning. And apparently even with his shot he never really goes to the high or even medium danger areas to score. 

Despite the fact that I'm not happy with the decisions Holtz makes in the game, pick him is a gift to Hughes on a silver platter. I'm afraid to imagine what a terrifying force the Foote-Hughes-Holtz trio can be.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

A lot of people seem to think he could be an absolute star, and possibly the 2nd best player from this draft. 

Out of a top 10 of studs he seems to be less of a slam dunk compared to the competition around him. He isn't playing top line min in the SHL but still he didn't do much against guys that aren't his own age. I haven't seen anything from his pre-season. He is also a pass first kind of guy and we need guys that are more shoot first. Rossi is total package and Holtz has the shot. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Out of a top 10 of studs he seems to be less of a slam dunk compared to the competition around him. He isn't playing top line min in the SHL but still he didn't do much against guys that aren't his own age. I haven't seen anything from his pre-season. He is also a pass first kind of guy and we need guys that are more shoot first. Rossi is total package and Holtz has the shot. 

But if Holtz doesn’t even go to the high danger areas in the SHL (that guy tracked 7 games) that’s going to be an issue in the NHL. He’s not going to score from that far out at the next level. 

Agree that having two shooters as good as Foote and Holtz would be exciting though. Depending on what happens with Palms you could give one each to Nico and Jack in a couple years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

But if Holtz doesn’t even go to the high danger areas in the SHL (that guy tracked 7 games) that’s going to be an issue in the NHL. He’s not going to score from that far out at the next level. 

Agree that having two shooters as good as Foote and Holtz would be exciting though. Depending on what happens with Palms you could give one each to Nico and Jack in a couple years. 

I guess it depends on how you look at it. He put up good enough numbers not getting to high danger areas in the SHL to be in the top 10 conversation. Imagine how much better he will be when he actually starts going to those areas.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

I guess it depends on how you look at it. He put up good enough numbers not getting to high danger areas in the SHL to be in the top 10 conversation. Imagine how much better he will be when he actually starts going to those areas.

I think he got himself into the top 10 even before the SHL. He scored 30 goals in the under 20 at 16. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.