Lighting, your 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions

DevilMinder

6 minutes ago, 2ELIAS6 said:

time will tell, I'm hoping he ends up being a Patrick Kane. this season should show an improvement if not ill be concerned. 

The Kane comparisons were probably always a bit unfair. Jack could become a great player for us, and still not be 1st ballot HoF caliber like Kane. 

Improvement for sure, but I’m not expecting a superstar in his age 19 season either. I’d like to see him get at least 40-50 points. Doubling his point production in one year would be a pretty good step. 

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah that led to a ton of expected goals for us. 

He also got constantly knocked off the puck like he’s made of feathers. 

Jack Hughes is an elite skater. Snarky replies and pointing to lack of finish does not change that. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

The Kane comparisons were probably always a bit unfair. Jack could become a great player for us, and still not be 1st ballot HoF caliber like Kane. 

Improvement for sure, but I’m not expecting a superstar in his age 19 season either. I’d like to see him get at least 40-50 points. Doubling his point production in one year would be a pretty good step. 

of course, I'm sure he's not going to be a Kane. those don't exactly grow on trees. but it would be awesome if he did end up developing into that. 

20 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Jack Hughes is an elite skater. Snarky replies and pointing to lack of finish does not change that. 

I think people used to say that about Jacob Josefson and Matthias Tedenby all the time. 

Its not snarky, all of his elite skating led to almost nothing. I’m hoping one day it won’t. That was my point. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think people used to say that about Jacob Josefson and Matthias Tedenby all the time. 

Its not snarky, all of his elite skating led to almost nothing. I’m hoping one day it won’t. That was my point. 

Those guys skating was never anywhere near as good as Jack’s. His edge work is as good as it gets. The list of players who are better skaters that are not named Connor McDavid is pretty short. 

As to your second point? Why do you feel the need to sh!t on the kid so badly? He has one area of his game that’s already elite, and that’s literally the only reason I mentioned him when talking about another player’s skating. 

And in runs mfitz with “ExPeCTeD GoALs!!!” and “LeD To NoTHinG!!!” 

I’m not sh!tting on anyone, all I’m saying is, I hope he turns into what he is expected to. You’re using a guy who hasn’t proven anything in this league as your example.

The comparison to Connor McDavid just demonstrates how ridiculous that argument is. The only comparison there is that they were both first overall picks. 

And you can do whatever that weird capitalization thing is that you do, it doesn’t make it any less true. For all of his elite skating and great entries, he has proven nothing yet. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not sh!tting on anyone, all I’m saying is, I hope he turns into what he is expected to. You’re using a guy who hasn’t proven anything in this league as your example.

The comparison to Connor McDavid just demonstrates how ridiculous that argument is. The only comparison there is that they were both first overall picks. 

And you can do whatever that weird capitalization thing is that you do, it doesn’t make it any less true. For all of his elite skating and great entries, he has proven nothing yet. 

To be fair, the comparison to McDavid was in regards to his skating, nothing else. I don't think even the most hopeful Hughes fan expects him to be a McDavid level talent. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

To be fair, the comparison to McDavid was in regards to his skating, nothing else. I don't think even the most hopeful Hughes fan expects him to be a McDavid level talent. 

That’s all well and good. All I said Is that I hoped Jack would become what we hope he would be. To sit around talking about his elite skating while he did mostly nothing doesn’t make sense to me. 

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

That’s all well and good. All I said Is that I hoped Jack would become what we hope he would be. To sit around talking about his elite skating while he did mostly nothing doesn’t make sense to me. 

I'm not too worried about him yet. Nico made some nice improvements as he went along from his rookie year, especially later on this season after Hall was traded. I'm hoping Hughes is putting on some muscle with all this time off because like you said, he did get pushed around a lot. That's another thing Nico has improved a lot on

Edited by Devil Dan 56
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s not ridiculous at all. I mentioned ONE ASPECT of Jack’s game because we were discussing skating ability of a draft prospect. And Jack is one of the best skaters that has been drafted in recent years. You’re the one with an odd black and white view that a player must completely suck at everything if they had struggles. Jack’s skating is elite, other parts of his game suck. 

1 hour ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

And that was clear as day in my post. I talked about skating and edge work. Nothing else. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

It’s not ridiculous at all. I mentioned ONE ASPECT of Jack’s game because we were discussing skating ability of a draft prospect. And Jack is one of the best skaters that has been drafted in recent years. You’re the one with an odd black and white view that a player must completely suck at everything if they had struggles. Jack’s skating is elite, other parts of his game suck. 

And that was clear as day in my post. I talked about skating and edge work. Nothing else. 

I didn’t say he sucked at anything. I said I hope Jack Hughes becomes Jack Hughes. Then you went off on a tangent. If I did anything wrong, it was indulging that tangent. 

I didn’t say anything about you, meanwhile you twice tried to insult me, with your stupid upper case lower case nonsense and then by calling my views odd. If I were going to say anything like that, it would be that when one decides to attack the poster instead of making a cogent counter argument, it’s pretty clear that they suck at normal discourse. 

I’m not excited by “elite skating” that doesn’t accomplish anything. Clearly you are. That’s great for you. I still hope he turns into something more than an elite skater with no finish. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t say he sucked at anything. I said I hope Jack Hughes becomes Jack Hughes. Then you went off on a tangent. If I did anything wrong, it was indulging that tangent. 

I didn’t say anything about you, meanwhile you twice tried to insult me, with your stupid upper case lower case nonsense and then by calling my views odd. If I were going to say anything like that, it would be that when one decides to attack the poster instead of making a cogent counter argument, it’s pretty clear that they suck at normal discourse. 

I’m not excited by “elite skating” that doesn’t accomplish anything. Clearly you are. That’s great for you. I still hope he turns into something more than an elite skater with no finish. 

FFS man, all I did was use Jack as a comparison of a really good skater to a prospect who isn’t a particularly good skater. That’s literally it. You then had to chime in with your little joke though, when Jack’s overall game wasn’t even what we were discussing. Haven’t we had enough Jack sucks talk? Why can’t I make a single positive comment without snark or negativity? 

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

FFS man, all I did was use Jack as a comparison of a really good skater to a prospect who isn’t a particularly good skater. That’s literally it. You then had to chime in with your little joke though, when Jack’s overall game wasn’t even what we were discussing. Haven’t we had enough Jack sucks talk? Why can’t I make a single positive comment without snark or negativity? 

You can make any comments you like. So can I. It’s called a “message board”. 

13 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Anyway, sorry for my part in the derailment of this thread. I’m just glad hockey is back. 

@mfitz804 my bad. You’re still one of my favorites here.   
:cheers:

No worries on my end, takes quite a bit more than that to get me rattled!

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Yeah i mean just like anything... that's only ONE aspect of the game. Unless you have other above average skills you won't be special. Many guys have elite shots, elite passing, elite wtv... but unless you can offer an above average package and deliver.. it will be kind of useless. So i get the argument.

But having elite skating is a bit irrelevant if you can't produce. This isn't figure skating, you don't get points for making nice and smooth strides.

We had many guys who were elite in some aspects but didn't become anything cause it wasn't enough. Josefson had "elite defensive awareness", brunner had elite finish, reid boucher had an elite shot, etc etc its not enough.

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah i mean just like anything... that's only ONE aspect of the game. Unless you have other above average skills you won't be special. Many guys have elite shots, elite passing, elite wtv... but unless you can offer an above average package and deliver.. it will be kind of useless. So i get the argument.

But having elite skating is a bit irrelevant if you can't produce. This isn't figure skating, you don't get points for making nice and smooth strides.

We had many guys who were elite in some aspects but didn't become anything cause it wasn't enough. Josefson had "elite defensive awareness", brunner had elite finish, reid boucher had an elite shot, etc etc its not enough.

It’s definitely true. My only point was, I hope that’s not what Jack winds up doing. 

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Again, all I did was mention Jack’s skating wrt Perfetti. Nowhere did I say anything about him being a good all around NHL player. There is no “argument.” 

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s definitely true. My only point was, I hope that’s not what Jack winds up doing. 

But that goes without saying (or should). Literally every Devils fan hopes that. 

8 hours ago, Nicomo said:

But that goes without saying (or should). Literally every Devils fan hopes that. 

Sure. But I think a lot less people are encouraged by his performance last year, as opposed to Nico's first year. Well I am, anyway. 

And I don't worry about things that go without saying when I am posting on a message board. If we are going to start taking out all the stuff that goes without saying, there'd be very little content. How fun would that be?

50 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Sure. But I think a lot less people are encouraged by his performance last year, as opposed to Nico's first year. Well I am, anyway. 

And I don't worry about things that go without saying when I am posting on a message board. If we are going to start taking out all the stuff that goes without saying, there'd be very little content. How fun would that be?

Well, there’s also a point you’re kind of just beating a dead horse (like you with Zacha :P). I don’t think we really had to go into a big thing about Jack’s future when all I was doing was giving him as an example of a good skater...

But we should probably just move on at this point. 

Edited by Nicomo

44 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, there’s also a point you’re kind of just beating a dead horse (like you with Zacha :P).

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about...

44 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I don’t think we really had to go into a big thing about Jack’s future when all I was doing was giving him as an example of a good skater...

No, probably not, all I said was I hope Jack Hughes is a "Jack Hughes". Then you went off on a tangent like nobody is allowed to have an opinion that doesn't match yours. Everything that followed my comment was probably unnecessary. 

But we should probably move on. 

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure I know what you're talking about...

No, probably not, all I said was I hope Jack Hughes is a "Jack Hughes". Then you went off on a tangent like nobody is allowed to have an opinion that doesn't match yours. Everything that followed my comment was probably unnecessary. 

But we should probably move on. 

You keep talking about my “tangent” but I’m not the one that started going on about expected goals and feathers. Pretty irrelevant when the discussion was about skating and Cole Perfetti. 

But this has probably reached the point I’d tell you and Sterio to get a room, so I’m sure others are sick of this back and forth. Lol

9 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You keep talking about my “tangent” but I’m not the one that started going on about expected goals and feathers. Pretty irrelevant when the discussion was about skating and Cole Perfetti. 

But this has probably reached the point I’d tell you and Sterio to get a room, so I’m sure others are sick of this back and forth. Lol

It's not irrelevant for the reasons I mentioned. I don't know what world you live in, but you don't get to control how other people view the things you say or the opinions they form based on them.

But yes, we should definitely stop discussing it. But I'm not getting a room with you, my heart belongs to @SterioDesign

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's not irrelevant for the reasons I mentioned. I don't know what world you live in, but you don't get to control how other people view the things you say or the opinions they form based on them.

But yes, we should definitely stop discussing it. But I'm not getting a room with you, my heart belongs to @SterioDesign

I’m not trying to control anyone. I was just trying to have an actual discussion with someone about a draft prospect, and you saw an opportunity to make a dumb little joke. I know it’s your thing here. But yes, talking about how bad Jack Hughes sucks is absolutely your right (and it’s riveting stuff too!).