Lighting, your 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions

DevilMinder

On 7/29/2020 at 6:25 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I will never understand how it made sense to give a bunch of teams a chance to win the lottery or the cup. It really should have been one or the other. 

I'm gonna be all kinds of salty if the Rags get that pick. 

I don't really see an issue with it... I mean, they didn't get to finish the regular season, so what's the harm in giving 24 teams a chance to figure out the order of things and determine the 16 that actually get into the post-season?  Sure it sucks that the Devils aren't in, but we didn't deserve to be in.  If they gave all 31 teams a shot at it, people would be livid if Ottawa got in and a more deserving team didn't.  They had to draw the line somewhere, and like I said it certainly sucks to be a bubble team, but there were only about a dozen gmaes left in the season, so giving the 24 teams that had a reasonable chance to make the playoffs had they finished the entire 82 game schedule a chance to play out the reason of the season in a modified format seems appropriate to me.

When it comes to authority figures and people in positions of power, whether it's government, or commissioners and officials in sports leagues, I feel like they don't always use the most common sense and make the best decisions, but on this one I feel like they used basic logic in order to come up with something that seemed fair and would get the season going in short order.  You're never gonna please everyone, but to me this seems like a pretty reasonable way to "conclude" the season and then start the playoffs.

Also, what's wrong with the 8 team who don't qualify for the playoffs having a shot at the #1 overall pick?  Isn't it normal for every team that doesn't make the playoffs to be entered into the lottery draft, albeit with appropriate odds based on where they finished? 

Lastly, on an unrelated note, I think the games so far have been pretty great, and it's awesome to see hockey back even if it's under unusual circumstances.  That said, although Grabner's goal just now against Nashville was a nice shorthanded goal on a breakaway, fvck his stupid ass for not doing a single thing for us when we literally brought him in to do exactly what he did today.

7 minutes ago, Jerzey said:

I just checked the score on the nhl app. Not watching. But still, screw Hynes.

Nsh/Arz is on USA.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

ah fvck off Grabner. Couldn't do sh!t when he was here

THANK YOU!  I literally came here to say exactly this. 

26 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Where are you guys watching Nashville? The only game I can find is Boston/Philly...

nvm forgot about my center Ice channels lol

USA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I don't really see an issue with it... I mean, they didn't get to finish the regular season, so what's the harm in giving 24 teams a chance to figure out the order of things and determine the 16 that actually get into the post-season?  Sure it sucks that the Devils aren't in, but we didn't deserve to be in.  If they gave all 31 teams a shot at it, people would be livid if Ottawa got in and a more deserving team didn't.  They had to draw the line somewhere, and like I said it certainly sucks to be a bubble team, but there were only about a dozen gmaes left in the season, so giving the 24 teams that had a reasonable chance to make the playoffs had they finished the entire 82 game schedule a chance to play out the reason of the season in a modified format seems appropriate to me.

When it comes to authority figures and people in positions of power, whether it's government, or commissioners and officials in sports leagues, I feel like they don't always use the most common sense and make the best decisions, but on this one I feel like they used basic logic in order to come up with something that seemed fair and would get the season going in short order.  You're never gonna please everyone, but to me this seems like a pretty reasonable way to "conclude" the season and then start the playoffs.

Also, what's wrong with the 8 team who don't qualify for the playoffs having a shot at the #1 overall pick?  Isn't it normal for every team that doesn't make the playoffs to be entered into the lottery draft, albeit with appropriate odds based on where they finished? 

Lastly, on an unrelated note, I think the games so far have been pretty great, and it's awesome to see hockey back even if it's under unusual circumstances.  That said, although Grabner's goal just now against Nashville was a nice shorthanded goal on a breakaway, fvck his stupid ass for not doing a single thing for us when we literally brought him in to do exactly what he did today.

Nsh/Arz is on USA.

I'm not sure where I said I had a problem with the play in anywhere. I like the play in idea, although I feel it was designed to get some extra play from some large markets that were outside looking in when the season ended. 

My issue is with the timing of the lottery. It could have very easily been done AFTER the play in round with all 15 teams who are not in the playoffs given weighted odds as they would have been in a normal season. The NHL did this silly 2 phase lottery weighted in a way that a play in team had a decent chance of getting into the top 3. It just comes across as them trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'm not sure where I said I had a problem with the play in anywhere. I like the play in idea, although I feel it was designed to get some extra play from some large markets that were outside looking in when the season ended. 

My issue is with the timing of the lottery. It could have very easily been done AFTER the play in round with all 15 teams who are not in the playoffs given weighted odds as they would have been in a normal season. The NHL did this silly 2 phase lottery weighted in a way that a play in team had a decent chance of getting into the top 3. It just comes across as them trying to have their cake and eat it too. 

Sorry, I quoted you because you were the latest reply in the discussion that I was reading, but I think I was more or less referring to SH's comments which was somewhat related to yours.

I definitely see and understand your point, but to me it sort of seems like nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking to complain about the timing of the lottery draft.  Kinda like making a mountain out of a molehill, no?  Not saying you specifically, but I've seen it mentioned a few times.

Pretty sweet fight between Ferlund and Foligno just over a minute into the game. For as seldom as players fight in this day and age, why the fvck did the refs have to break it up while they were still both steadily on their feet and exchanging nice punches?  Weak as hell.  Let them duke it out until one guy goes down.

The Leafs really are a mystery to me. I know it’s only one game, but how do they never make a run with all those star forwards? And it’s not like Andersen has held them back. I don’t get it. They’re just way too loaded to underachieve year after year. 

39 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The Leafs really are a mystery to me. I know it’s only one game, but how do they never make a run with all those star forwards? And it’s not like Andersen has held them back. I don’t get it. They’re just way too loaded to underachieve year after year. 

i assume karma for their fanbase saying they'd win a cup within the next 5 years... for the last 5 years?

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

i assume karma for their fanbase saying they'd win a cup within the next 5 years... for the last 5 years?

Feels like it’s probably coming. Caps and Blues both broke their droughts. Leafs can’t even get out of the 1st round though. Lol