Lighting, your 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions

DevilMinder

10 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Good hit but I didn’t love the way he followed through with the elbow. 

I think it's fine - the elbow is just emphatic and shows him putting all his force into it - it doesn't make it dirty.  Also, it's really hard, if not impossible, to control your body/limbs after an impact like that.  Just like when people say "oh he left his feet!" during certain hits, it's like, well, no, he didn't - two large fast-moving masses collided, and the force propelled one slightly into the air.  It doesn't mean that one guy jumped at another pre-impact.  Similarly, I don't think McAvoy's elbow was targeting Staal up high prior to the hit.  You can slow it down, and although his body blocks some of the view, it would appear that he got him mostly with his shoulder/back, and the elbow came up/through after the fact.

34 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Heard about a big hit on Staal, was it clean?

Ozark got me again tonight, I put on the episode and it was 2-0, now it’s 4-2

I love Ozark btw. Probably my favorite Netflix show. Julia Garner is so damn good. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

I think it's fine - the elbow is just emphatic and shows him putting all his force into it - it doesn't make it dirty.  Also, it's really hard, if not impossible, to control your body/limbs after an impact like that.  Just like when people say "oh he left his feet!" during certain hits, it's like, well, no, he didn't - two large fast-moving masses collided, and the force propelled one slightly into the air.  It doesn't mean that one guy jumped at another pre-impact.  Similarly, I don't think McAvoy's elbow was targeting Staal up high prior to the hit.  You can slow it down, and although his body blocks some of the view, it would appear that he got him mostly with his shoulder/back, and the elbow came up/through after the fact.

I don’t think he even really got him with the elbow, but I don’t like guys swinging it around like that. Especially after a hit like that already has a guy in la la land, if that elbow lands it’s gonna be a problem. 

I completely disagree that one can’t control their limbs after a hit like that, otherwise guys would be getting elbows to the face on every play. In this instance, I don’t think it was intentional but he did kind of whip it around a bit. 

In any event, it didn’t land so it’s not an issue. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Brutal collapse by the Canes tonight. Absolute domination in the 3rd period

Carolina had 0 shots on goal in that period until the final 2-3 mins or so and only ended up with 2 shots on goal in that period. I really don't remember the last time I saw a team dominated that much in a period like that. 

10 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Off-topic, but what season are you on in Ozark? I have three episodes left in season 3, but I haven’t watched it in like a month since live sports came back lol.

Gonna wrap up season 1 tonight. We just started when we were on our restriction of movement getting to Florida. But between the move and hockey, it’s been slow going as well.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Gonna wrap up season 1 tonight. We just started when we were on our restriction of movement getting to Florida. But between the move and hockey, it’s been slow going as well.

Nice. Season 2 moves kind of slow, but season 3 is full-speed ahead. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Carolina had 0 shots on goal in that period until the final 2-3 mins or so and only ended up with 2 shots on goal in that period. I really don't remember the last time I saw a team dominated that much in a period like that. 

I know this may be blasphemous here, but I really was pulling for the Canes in this series.  I'm so damn sick of the Bruins.. but their veteran core has seen it all at this point.  You can just tell nothing shakes em.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

My signature has the last time I can remember it. When a certain team kept a certain other team to 1 shot in the 3rd period.

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I know this may be blasphemous here, but I really was pulling for the Canes in this series.  I'm so damn sick of the Bruins.. but their veteran core has seen it all at this point.  You can just tell nothing shakes em.

After the troll job they did of the Rangers on top of the pounding, I wanted them, even if it gave the Rangers Daigle 2.0

22 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My signature has the last time I can remember it. When a certain team kept a certain other team to 1 shot in the 3rd period.

After the troll job they did of the Rangers on top of the pounding, I wanted them, even if it gave the Rangers Daigle 2.0

Funny thing about Daigle is that he actually came out flying as an 18-year-old...a lot of people forget that.  13 points in his first 8 NHL games.  A still-respectable 31 points through his first 34 NHL games.  He crashed and burned after that...20 points through his remaining 50 GP as a rookie (1993-94).  Sadly for him, the 51 points he put up that year turned out to be his career high (he would match it two other seasons)...I'm sure the feeling at the time was that was only the beginning.

He finished up 1995 with 22 points over his last 24 GP, which likely led Ottawa to think he was back on his way to figuring things out...but then came a horrible 1995-96 (just 17 points in 50 GP).  He had some nice runs within 1996-97, but very baffling stretches of invisibility...there still wasn't quite enough there to think he was ever going to put it all together.  The following season, Ottawa gave up on him, after just 301 games (and a -137 rating...he played on some bad teams, but DAMN).

Anyway, yeah, won't mind one bit if Lafreniere turns out to be the next Daigle.  Especially if, like Daigle, he occasionally teases progress (but ultimately never makes any).  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I was too. I like watching Aho. Plus Brad Marchand plays for the other team. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

fvck the Canes. The only way you’ll see me rooting for them in a playoff scenario is if they’re playing the Rags or Flyers.

57 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Funny thing about Daigle is that he actually came out flying as an 18-year-old...a lot of people forget that.  13 points in his first 8 NHL games.  A still-respectable 31 points through his first 34 NHL games.  He crashed and burned after that...20 points through his remaining 50 GP as a rookie (1993-94).  Sadly for him, the 51 points he put up that year turned out to be his career high (he would match it two other seasons)...I'm sure the feeling at the time was that was only the beginning.

He finished up 1995 with 22 points over his last 24 GP, which likely led Ottawa to think he was back on his way to figuring things out...but then came a horrible 1995-96 (just 17 points in 50 GP).  He had some nice runs within 1996-97, but very baffling stretches of invisibility...there still wasn't quite enough there to think he was ever going to put it all together.  The following season, Ottawa gave up on him, after just 301 games (and a -137 rating...he played on some bad teams, but DAMN).

Anyway, yeah, won't mind one bit if Lafreniere turns out to be the next Daigle.  Especially if, like Daigle, he occasionally teases progress (but ultimately never makes any).  

Back when he was first drafted, I bought a pick of hockey cards and pulled out the limited edition autographed Daigle rookie card. that was before there were 9 million insert cards and it was kind of a big deal. I was so excited, surely that card would end up being extremely valuable. 

I found it a couple years ago and sold it on eBay for less than $5.

Fvck Daigle. 

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Back when he was first drafted, I bought a pick of hockey cards and pulled out the limited edition autographed Daigle rookie card. that was before there were 9 million insert cards and it was kind of a big deal. I was so excited, surely that card would end up being extremely valuable. 

I found it a couple years ago and sold it on eBay for less than $5.

Fvck Daigle. 

Heh heh, I remember when Ottawa gave up on him and shipped him off to the Flyers...one of my buds who was a Flyers fan was beyond stoked..."He's still young, now that he'll be playing for a REAL team he'll get it going, blah blah blah..."

When Daigle enjoyed a stretch early in his Flyer tenure where he put up 16 points in 12 games (most of this burst came just after his 23rd birthday), my friend seemed convinced that the Flyers had just fleeced a future superstar away from the Sens..."See, see, told ya he'd produce on a good team!  He's gonna be awesome here!"  

The following season, he played so poorly that he basically played himself right off the Flyers...over his last 20 games as a Flyer, they were so down on him that he averaged less than 5 1/2 minutes of ice time per game in those games.  His awesome Flyer career amounted to 73 games and 33 points (including the playoffs).  The Flyers traded him to Tampa Bay, where he got plenty of ice time but did little with it...the Lightning then dumped him off on the Rangers for nothing more than cash before the start of the next season.  

BTW one of the players the Flyers gave up to get Daigle was Vinny Prospal...wasn't a great player by any means of course, but had a plenty respectable career (his best seasons came with the Lightning)...managed to stick around for 16 seasons, 1108 regular season games (plus 65 more in the playoffs) and put up 765 points.  504 of those games came after Daigle was already out of the NHL.  

5 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I think I'm in the minority that I don't even hate the Bruins, I wasn't old enough to hate them during the 88 playoffs and that's the only time they ever beat us in anything that mattered. We beat them in 94, 95 and 03 in the playoffs. I've been there in person to watch Carolina eliminate us in 02, 06 and 09 so my hatred for them is still very strong lol

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Oh man, only 57 years old.  RIP.  

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

That's a bummer, only a little older than me.  When I first started playing EA Sports Hockey, BUF was my team and he along with Mogilny and Lafontaine were my line.  F*** cancer.

4 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I think I'm in the minority that I don't even hate the Bruins, I wasn't old enough to hate them during the 88 playoffs and that's the only time they ever beat us in anything that mattered. We beat them in 94, 95 and 03 in the playoffs. I've been there in person to watch Carolina eliminate us in 02, 06 and 09 so my hatred for them is still very strong lol

For me it’s 2 reasons. The first being rat face. I hated him even before the hit on MoJo. Guy is a world class player, and it’s an embarrassment to the game that he’s out there licking guy’s faces.

The other reason is just Boston sports in general. They’ve won like 37 titles in the last couple decades. It’s enough already.