Lighting, your 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions

DevilMinder

7 hours ago, point said:

Except that they also play 25 more, very intense, games. And players play thru injuries they would otherwise be recovering from. A long Cup run takes a huge toll on the players' mental and physical health. Do you actually watch these games?

What is that even supposed to mean? I was saying that a lot goes into why a team so rarely repeats. If a team just went through hell and won it all, they may not have that it in them to do it twice. How does that mean I don't "even watch these games?"

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

What is that even supposed to mean? I was saying that a lot goes into why a team so rarely repeats. If a team just went through hell and won it all, they may not have that it in them to do it twice. How does that mean I don't "even watch these games?"

Yeah I'm kinda at a loss as to why your previous post would bring out any snark at all from anyone.  

We know how hard it is to repeat in ALL sports, for a variety of reasons:

Turnover in personnel (cap issues not allowing a team to keep its roster together, or some players choosing to go elsewhere because they can), some guys getting old seemingly overnight, guys who have a magical year for you but then can't repeat that same magic (see Broten, Neal) the following year, bad luck with injuries (or luck evening out), peaking too early (see 2000-01 Devils), general complacency that sometimes sets in after winning it all, and sure, a team feeling fatigued due to playing a ton of extra games during its championship season (especially in the Blues' case...they played 108 total games in 2018-19...26 playoff games, just two under the max)...as we know, the NHL offseason is a short one, and Cup winners tend to do a lot of celebrating and running around...it can all add up.  And sometimes, it just isn't meant to be, even when it seems like everything is lined up as perfectly as it can be.  You touched on some of that, but hardly in a way that would suggest that you were implying that the reasons you offered were the only legitimate ones...hell, sometimes it can indeed be a case of a goalie not playing nearly as well being enough to sink his team (as you alluded to with Binnington)...especially if he was way on the other end of the spectrum during the previous playoffs.  I still think that even though the Devils were clearly fighting it as a team at times during the 2000-01 playoffs, if you got 1994, 1995, 2000 or 2003 playoff Marty, the Devils have another Cup to their name.  But that happens.  

I was on the receiving end of a comment from point (like the one you just got) some time ago...I was offering my take on NJ and how some of the rooting experiences appear to be split up, through my own experiences (been here all my life, 50 years and counting), and out of nowhere I got a salty "Are you even from NJ?" or something similar.  So I see a pattern here.  Oh well.   

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

Damn, gotta stop hitting quote when I want to edit...

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

What does "they lose the hunger " mean? You actually did NOT say " a lot goes into why a team so rarely repeats". I thought your comment was pretty dismissive of any team that does not repeat. 

55 minutes ago, point said:

What does "they lose the hunger " mean? You actually did NOT say " a lot goes into why a team so rarely repeats". I thought your comment was pretty dismissive of any team that does not repeat. 

So you’re coming to the rescue of any team that doesn't repeat? I don't get what you're going for. I said a team coming off a win might not have the same hunger they had a year before, after going through so much to win. Then I added that St Louis had several key injuries and that Binnington didn't have the same playoffs that he had last year. 

I'm sorry I didn't word it how you wanted. You seem to be taking this awful personally

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

So you’re coming to the rescue of any team that doesn't repeat? I don't get what you're going for. I said a team coming off a win might not have the same hunger they had a year before, after going through so much to win. Then I added that St Louis had several key injuries and that Binnington didn't have the same playoffs that he had last year. 

I'm sorry I didn't word it how you wanted. You seem to be taking this awful personally

And I apologize for the ad hominem crack. My self control has been under strain lately.

3 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'd never have put money on Dallas to be two up against the Avs. I thought Colorado were a good bet to go all the way to the SCF. I'm not so sure now. Good job I'm not a betting man!

Colorado has been bit by the injury bug- Grubauer, Johnson, Calvert.... but yeah, it is still surprising to see them down 2-0. 

3 hours ago, Aitchmack said:

I'd never have put money on Dallas to be two up against the Avs. I thought Colorado were a good bet to go all the way to the SCF. I'm not so sure now. Good job I'm not a betting man!

i picked them to win in the bracket challenge, which is the kiss of death. 

EDIT: I just checked it and I am in first place!! What the hell??

Edited by mfitz804

21 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i picked them to win in the bracket challenge, which is the kiss of death. 

EDIT: I just checked it and I am in first place!! What the hell??

My bracket is completely shot- I picked a St. Louis-Washington Finals with the Blues repeating. 🤣

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Colorado has been bit by the injury bug- Grubauer, Johnson, Calvert.... but yeah, it is still surprising to see them down 2-0. 

Looking more and more like they're going to go all in on Hall, as the "last piece".  I'd say he's more a complementary guy at this point (and not the guy who's necessarily going to get you over the hump), but the Avs really look like the best fit for him.    

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Looking more and more like they're going to go all in on Hall, as the "last piece".  I'd say he's more a complementary guy at this point (and not the guy who's necessarily going to get you over the hump), but the Avs really look like the best fit for him.    

Yeah I agree. It’s a great fit for both parties. I even read that Hall said after Arizona was eliminated that he realizes the money will be less, but he doesn’t really care, and that all he cares about at this point is winning. So yeah, the smart money says Colorado. 

Edited by MadDog2020

Just some observations about this year's playoffs.  Dallas playing the trap to perfection with a 2 goal lead against Colorado,  The Islanders keeping the front of net clear of Flyers.  Vegas being a big tough intimidating team very reminiscent of the Big Bad Bruins of the 70's.  It will be interesting to see if the opposing coaches can find a way to counteract these tactics, Oh and this has been mentioned already Andy Greene!😎

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah I agree. It’s a great fit for both parties. I even read that Hall said after Arizona was eliminated that he realizes the money will be less, but he doesn’t really care, and that all he cares about at this point is winning. So yeah, the smart money says Colorado. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils kick the tires on him, just because...ownership was very high on him.  Doesn't mean that I think that they'll get him, just that I can see them getting involved.  Even if ownership did decide "We're gonna do everything that we can to get Taylor back!  We never wanted to see him leave to begin with", and was all over Fitz to make a competitive offer, I think for Hall, the Devils are already "Been there done that, had a great year there in 2017-18, but I'm done with them."  There's no real compelling case for the Devils to make, and besides, there's enough red flags with Hall that even with tons of cap space, not sure Hall 2.0 is the right move.  

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Devils kick the tires on him, just because...ownership was very high on him.  Doesn't mean that I think that they'll get him, just that I can see them getting involved.  Even if ownership did decide "We're gonna do everything that we can to get Taylor back!  We never wanted to see him leave to begin with", and was all over Fitz to make a competitive offer, I think for Hall, the Devils are already "Been there done that, had a great year there in 2017-18, but I'm done with them."  There's no real compelling case for the Devils to make, and besides, there's enough red flags with Hall that even with tons of cap space, not sure Hall 2.0 is the right move.  

He said he wants to win. I think that ends it right there. 

• Like 2