Lighting, your 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions

DevilMinder

Maybe it's just me but I find humanity and society so depressing and draining right now. The level of division globally is awful. Being a Dad to two young kids I often lie awake at night and think, how are we going to fix this for their generation. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Maybe it's just me but I find humanity and society so depressing and draining right now. The level of division globally is awful. Being a Dad to two young kids I often lie awake at night and think, how are we going to fix this for their generation. 

As a father of two as well, my approach, for better or worse, will be this:

My kids need to learn how to lose. My kids need to learn how to have someone have a different opinion than their own and they HAVE to be okay with it. You won’t always like what someone has to say, but you will respect them as long as they respect you back.

We have entered a dangerous time where having differing opinions on subjects or views is considered extremism, and for lack of a better phrase, it really feels to me like it has become “conform to my take or die”

• Like 7

fvcking stupid.  

Postponing games, in any sport, isn't doing anything.  The players might view it as a way to send a message that human rights "take priority over sports", but the problem is that 95% of the people on this planet already agree with that.  Their message is falling on deaf ears, i.e. the other 5% or so.  Those are the people who shoot innocent victims, regardless of color.  Those are the people who scream and yell at you for no reason.  Those are the people who can't understand, respect, and accept that you might have a different opinion than them.  Those are the people, quite frankly, that just can't act civilly and learn to co-exist with the rest of the world.  So the NHL players, NBA players, all athletes, celebrities, etc - the people who do this and try to "stand up" and send a message for what's right - it's ineffective and reaching the wrong people.  The people who need to hear this message aren't going to listen.  That's why they are who they are.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, jagknife said:

My kids need to learn how to lose. My kids need to learn how to have someone have a different opinion than their own and they HAVE to be okay with it. You won’t always like what someone has to say, but you will respect them as long as they respect you back.

We have entered a dangerous time where having differing opinions on subjects or views is considered extremism, and for lack of a better phrase, it really feels to me like it has become “conform to my take or die”

I agree, they need to know there are people out there who won't always agree with you and that's ok. I don't think you have to be ok with other people's opinions in certain circumstances, racism or homophobia for example. I hope my kids will always feel confident enough to challenge that.

My main gripe with the way things are today is it seems like the knee jerk reaction to one thing is to go as hard as possible the other way. 

But Anyway going OT. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

My main gripe with the way things are today is it seems like the knee jerk reaction to one thing is to go as hard as possible the other way. 

The world appears to be getting more and more immature, materialistic, and losing things like values, morals, and just human decency.  So many people need to feel validated and heard, they need to feel like they're right, they need to get the last word, etc etc.  All the stuff that you're supposed to go through and grow out of, which most people do, from the time you're a child, into adolescence, and eventually when you reach adulthood.  I really do think it all stems from parenting - obviously not every family is the same, and not every child starts out with two parents, or even one parent, in their lives, but under most circumstances that's usually the case, and it's unfortunate that somewhere down the line all too often it seems like many children aren't taught how to properly live in and navigate in and around this planet in a manner that won't eventually include them either getting shot, or shooting someone else.  

• Like 1

Having an open conversation about race with black people after a certain age is probably impossible. In 1968 when I was in high school I had a conversation with a coworker. He was president on the local high school student body, this was a small town (very small). Blacks were a small but integrated part of the community. My Mom had black girls in the Girl Scout troop she led. Anyway, talking with Tyrone about the riots in Newark and Plainfield, Tyrone just lowered his eyes and said "Bill, you just don't understand". The pain in his voice and the look on his face told me I will never understand what he and his family have dealt with. I haven't been able to erase the memory of that conversation. Tyrone was not a rabble rouser, troublemaker, rioter, but a gentle leader. I still don't try to tell anyone what they should think or feel about this subject.

A couple of years later, I realized another issue. There were two brothers who had a Cornell Dairy convenience store a block from our home. Don and Phil were a couple of blonde/reddish/freckled guys who sold milk (about a gallon a day to my two brothers and me), soft serve ice cream and probably cigs and stuff.

Anyway they sold the store and Phil bought a retirement home. He stopped by our house to chat and described an incident he had recently. He was looking for a loan to expand his home and had an appointment with a banker. The banker popped out of his office and asked, "So where is that spic who had an appointment?"

Phil's last name was Ortiz.

I never questioned discrimination based on Hispanic surnames after that.

Just saying.

Sadly, we still have a long way to go.

• Like 3

No doubt; my comment was more a criticism of non political entities taking political positions. I don’t have a problem with it, and I don’t think they are wrong, I just don’t really care what the league has to say about the situation. 

Just as point, and I, can’t really get it because we haven’t lived it, I don’t think the powers that be in the NHL or NBA really get it either. It comes across as saying what is “supposed” to be said and it doesn’t have any impact for me. 

I fully support the ideas of speaking out and protest, but to look to boycott the NBA playoffs, when to me it’s a distraction that a lot of people, including people of color, need right now, doesn’t make sense.

Lebron and others are right about things needing to change, but boycotting the playoffs as multi millionaires while simultaneously causing hundreds (thousands?) of people to be out of work right now is a bad look. 

Or were the teams, arenas, media outlets, etc supposed to pay everyone to stay home again?

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 4

Unfortunately, on the political side, the "poverty industry" really hasn't  done jack s##t for the people they supposedly represent. Just another decades long war we as a country have not won, the war on poverty, drugs, blah blah blah. No wonder we as a country have become jaded. We expect politicians to solve problems they really have no control over. We the people have to solve these problems, not politicians. 

4 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Personally, I don’t need athletes or sports teams or leagues to take a position regarding anything outside of the game. If I wanted politics I would watch Fox News. 

It's not for you, it's for the athletes.  I think it's what they think they can do to make a splash and garner attention on the topic from the position they have worked for.

Reading this snippet below sounds like it's the players that are taking a stand to boycott the game and the league is responding in turn by canceling the games for this evening.  I don't think the NHL is taking a stand but instead is reacting in a more fluid way.  Now I'm just guessing here but it makes me think that someone like Ryan Reaves may be leading their team to not play their game tonight.  I know he has been vocal on the subject.

image.png.4be2185404cb05ebd9717c2b2fa00251.png

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

It's not for you, it's for the athletes.  I think it's what they think they can do to make a splash and garner attention on the topic from the position they have worked for.

Reading this snippet below sounds like it's the players that are taking a stand to boycott the game and the league is responding in turn by canceling the games for this evening.  I don't think the NHL is taking a stand but instead is reacting in a more fluid way.  Now I'm just guessing here but it makes me think that someone like Ryan Reaves may be leading their team to not play their game tonight.  I know he has been vocal on the subject.

image.png.4be2185404cb05ebd9717c2b2fa00251.png

It was said that it was Vancouver that had voted first not to play. 

11 hours ago, jagknife said:

this is one of the biggest problem in society for real. And the media are making all of this worst, once you see the game they are playing and how both sides are pushing their narratives, its disgusting.

I could talk about this specific problem for days, my biggest pet peeve is seeing biased people being blinded and reckless with their views or actions. And the whole world is just that now.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Crisis said:

It's a valid point, and I get that. i don't need it personally, but maybe there are people who are ignorant to the world's issues that become aware of it because of these type of statements/protests. 

Also, I draw a distinction between "we're going to cancel tonight's games" and boycotting the entire postseason. Canceling or rescheduling a game is newsworthy enough to get attention and get the message across. But canceling the entire postseason would be a detriment to tons of hard working people, many of whom are lower income like the folks who work in the arenas, while it isn't a significant detriment to the athletes. And, of course, there's a nation full of fans that really needed the distraction of sports resuming.

Let's also not forget, Lebron had already voiced an opinion that he didn't want to play the postseason without fans before any of this. Makes me question his motives a little bit when he already didn't want to play. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Crisis said:

I understand that but... America has literally been burning for MONTHS now. That's ALL we see in the news every single day. I mean... what extra attention can they possibly get at this point? People and cops has literally been dying. Businesses has been destroyed. What does cancelling a few sports game could "really" accomplish?

I think i feel a bit like Mfitz about this in the sense that... coming from the NHL is kind of just feel like virtue signalling or just doing something cause they were pressured to do it and fear the backlash of not complying. Plus cancelling a whole post-season would 100% hurt many many people, honest people just trying to make a living... coming out of a rough time already with COVID... AND the chances of cancelling the season to ACTUALLY have an impact on the topic is so little that it makes it irresponsible from that angle anyway.

IT also feels like when someone wins an Oscar and use his time to go on a long political rant. It's always annoying me personally but it's their time so they can do wtv they want with it. I just don't support it, i get that they feel they should use their platforms and exposure to bring awareness about what they care about, i get it. But when it's coming from Hollywood who's obviously dominated by the left, it's just a one way street and there's just one accepted narrative so it's mostly just them feeding on confirmation bias in their giant echo chambers... but forcing the whole world to watch. For the record, i fully support and agree with 100% of that Ricky Gervais said during his monologue lol

Edited by SterioDesign

New schedule...

NEW YORK - The National Hockey League today announced the schedule updates for the Second Round of the 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs, which resumes Saturday, Aug. 29 with a tripleheader starting at 12 p.m. ET with Game 4 between the Boston Bruins and Tampa Bay Lightning. Game 3 between the New York Islanders and Philadelphia Flyers will start at 7 p.m. ET, and Game 3 between the Vancouver Canucks and Vegas Golden Knights will start at 9:45 p.m. ET. 

The full updated schedule, including broadcast information is as follows:

Date Time (ET) #1 Philadelphia vs. #6 NY Islanders
Saturday, Aug. 29 7 p.m. Philadelphia at NY Islanders (G3) NBCSN, SN, CBC,TVAS
Sunday, Aug. 30 8 p.m. Philadelphia at NY Islanders (G4) NBC, SN, CBC, TVAS
Tuesday, Sept. 1 7 p.m. NY Islanders at Philadelphia (G5) NBCSN, SN, CBC, TVAS
*Thursday, Sept. 3 TBD Philadelphia at NY Islanders (G6) TBD
*Saturday, Sept. 5 TBD NY Islanders at Philadelphia (G7) TBD

Date Time (ET) #2 Tampa Bay vs. #4 Boston Networks
Saturday, Aug. 29 12 p.m. Tampa Bay at Boston (G4) NBC, SN, TVAS
Monday, Aug. 31 7 p.m. Boston at Tampa Bay (G5) NBCSN,SN,CBC,TVAS
*Wednesday, Sept. 2 TBD Tampa Bay at Boston (G6) TBD
*Thursday, Sept. 3 TBD Boston at Tampa Bay (G7) TBD

Date Time (ET) #1 Vegas vs. #5 Vancouver Networks
Saturday, Aug. 29 9:45 p.m. Vegas at Vancouver (G3) NBCSN, SN,CBC,TVAS
Sunday, Aug. 30 10:30 p.m. Vegas at Vancouver (G4) NBCSN, SN,CBC,TVAS
Tuesday, Sept. 1 9:45 p.m. Vancouver at Vegas (G5) NBCSN, SN,CBC,TVAS
*Thursday, Sept. 3 TBD Vegas at Vancouver (G6) TBD
*Friday, Sept. 4 TBD Vancouver at Vegas (G7) TBD

Date Time (ET) #2 Colorado vs. #3 Dallas Networks
Sunday, Aug. 30 6 p.m. Colorado at Dallas (G4) NBCSN, SN1,SN360,TVAS
Monday, Aug. 31 9:45 p.m. Dallas at Colorado (G5) NBCSN, SN, TVAS
*Wednesday, Sept. 2 TBD Colorado at Dallas (G6) TBD
*Friday, Sept. 4 TBD Dallas at Colorado (G7) TBD

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I understand that but... America has literally been burning for MONTHS now. That's ALL we see in the news every single day. I mean... what extra attention can they possibly get at this point? People and cops has literally been dying. Businesses has been destroyed. What does cancelling a few sports game could "really" accomplish?

I think i feel a bit like Mfitz about this in the sense that... coming from the NHL is kind of just feel like virtue signalling or just doing something cause they were pressured to do it and fear the backlash of not complying. Plus cancelling a whole post-season would 100% hurt many many people, honest people just trying to make a living... coming out of a rough time already with COVID... AND the chances of cancelling the season to ACTUALLY have an impact on the topic is so little that it makes it irresponsible from that angle anyway.

IT also feels like when someone wins an Oscar and use his time to go on a long political rant. It's always annoying me personally but it's their time so they can do wtv they want with it. I just don't support it, i get that they feel they should use their platforms and exposure to bring awareness about what they care about, i get it. But when it's coming from Hollywood who's obviously dominated by the left, it's just a one way street and there's just one accepted narrative so it's mostly just them feeding on confirmation bias in their giant echo chambers... but forcing the whole world to watch. For the record, i fully support and agree with 100% of that Ricky Gervais said during his monologue lol

Yeah I don't know.  In my opinion, it doesn't sound like you understand.  Not trying to be dick about it either.  Also, the cancelling of games is coming from the league only because the players are refusing to play.  Unless I'm missing something here, it's not the league reacting to what other sports are doing and trying to save face but instead they are reacting to what their players are doing.  I haven't heard any news about cancelling the rest of the postseason, which I agree would obviously hurt a lot of stakeholders, but I may have missed a tweet or something.  Share it if you have it.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Yeah I don't know.  In my opinion, it doesn't sound like you understand.  Not trying to be dick about it either.  Also, the cancelling of games is coming from the league only because the players are refusing to play.  Unless I'm missing something here, it's not the league reacting to what other sports are doing and trying to save face but instead they are reacting to what their players are doing.  I haven't heard any news about cancelling the rest of the postseason, which I agree would obviously hurt a lot of stakeholders, but I may have missed a tweet or something.  Share it if you have it.

The canceling of the entire postseason was not the NHL, it was the NBA, and it wasn't the whole league, it was 2 teams and Lebron in particular that were advocating for it. It was all over the news. I'm just linking the first one that popped up in Google. 

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/08/26/lakers-clippers-vote-to-cancel-rest-of-playoffs-every-other-team-votes-to-continue/

54 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The canceling of the entire postseason was not the NHL, it was the NBA, and it wasn't the whole league, it was 2 teams and Lebron in particular that were advocating for it. It was all over the news. I'm just linking the first one that popped up in Google. 

https://nba.nbcsports.com/2020/08/26/lakers-clippers-vote-to-cancel-rest-of-playoffs-every-other-team-votes-to-continue/

Ok right, thanks

3 hours ago, Crisis said:

What's important to understand as a society is that it's not because someone doesn't necessarily see things the same exact way as we do.. that they "don't understand", it's pretty self-righteous to see things that way and thats actually causing the bigger problems. People just value different things and don't process things the same way so they just see things differently. Take any hot topic (that we do not have to get into)... abortion, religion, illegal immigration, anything... many people on both sides sure think they are on the right side and that the other side just don't understand, care, are straight up bad people or are brainwashed. It's really not that simple.

Or just to keep things close to home. Some fans think that even if you only have a 0.0001 chance at making the playoffs, that you have to go all-in cause the cup is the ultimate goal and nothing else. Some other fans think it's important to gauge your actual chances and see what are the best moves for the situation you're in keeping in mind long-term success. I've discovered in the last few years that this is the core belief that is splitting me and other posters and why we'll absolutely never agree on how Lou ran the team because of that.

I DO understand WHY they WANT to do the things they wanna do, more power to them it's their decision and i respect that. But i still personally see it as an emotional response that is empowering for them, and good, but that can have negative impact on some people's lives while not bringing any really changes or actually accomplishing anything that wasn't accomplished already. So that's something i feel you have to weight in obviously. Like if i'm pissed off because of a sh!tty client who fvcked me over and that i've been fvcked over 50 times in the last few months and punch my screen out of rage, breaking the screen and breaking my hand... Sure i do understand why i wanted to punch the screen, it was fully justified.. but it was not going to help anything... plus now i have a broken hand and a broken screen which makes me want to punch something else now. And now i can't work for a few weeks because of my hand and i need to buy a new screen. My point here is not to directly compare situations but to gauge all the effects it could really have not just the ones that makes you feel good in the moment.

Edited by SterioDesign