Lighting, your 2019-20 Stanley Cup Champions

DevilMinder

I'm just happy the gang solved racism...    I saw real change yesterday and today;  it's a brand new day tomorrow.
Or nothing has changed and it raised no additional awareness...  we just took two days off and nothing else is different.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, aylbert said:

I'm just happy the gang solved racism...    I saw real change yesterday and today;  it's a brand new day tomorrow.
Or nothing has changed and it raised no additional awareness...  we just took two days off and nothing else is different.

Pretty much. 

1 hour ago, aylbert said:

It made people who were doing nothing feel like they were doing something by doing nothing. Whether or not they accomplished anything other than making some select people feel better is debatable. 

18 hours ago, aylbert said:

What sucks in all this is that it's all a result of a very flawed and toxic mentality that we can see across just about any subject. And that's something we reaaaaallly need to work on.

For example, recently there was a lot of people getting very angry at the notion that "the NHL was giving a shot at the Stanley Cup and at the first overall to the same teams". Which is just not what it really was but they accept this narrative and run with it, completely ignoring the big picture and all the details. Mostly cause they simply WANT to believe that and be angry

All these political issues are the same thing. People get mad at a premise that isn't entire true or twisted in a way to get them more angry and emotional.

The whole take a knee started based on the premise that Brown was laying on the ground with his hands in the air saying don't shoot"... it started a HUGE thing. Turns out according to reports and investigations that it never happened and turns out he attacked the cop reaching in his car window then was shot. Still horrible that he died and we all wish things went differently, but it's a very very different story now.

Now players wanting to cancel the season because a man was shot 7 times in the back. When all the details should make you go... "yeah that's a tricky situation". Obviously that should never happen, the cops should have better ways to stop people. But now details are coming out that taser guns were used before he was shot and that they were telling him to stop and that he still went and opened his car door and went in, even after they told him not to multiple times and were pulling on his shirt. Plus they found a knife on the floor of the driver seat. Now... again, that's not saying he should have been shot or that he deserved it. But it's a different story that a man was asked multiple times to comply to basic order, didnt, was tased unsucesfully in the process?(not sure how that's possible) still went to his car, opened the door and reached in for something... then was shot... 4 times. 3 shots missing him. But the media are pushing that he was trying to breakup a fight and was shot 7 times in the back as he walked away. The same thing is happening with that other shooting now, they are omitting important details alllll the time to push their narratives. Of course this is not denying that there IS problems and flaws in the system and society, but then we shouldn't have to twist facts to get a message across

The media keep doing this and we keep falling for it. We really need to stop this as a society. No progress will be made that way

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The media does what they do, which is ultimately for ratings. Whenever I see the video, that’s when I form my opinions. I think the video of this most recent incident is pretty clear. 

You mean videos like when you see a cop using force to arrest someone but it starts when the person is already on the ground and you don't show what led to that? Like the person grabbing the cops gun or something? 

Or that video of Nick Sandmann that was framed like he was mocking Phillips playing drums... but then the whole video came out showing phillips walked straight to nick's face and all he did was having a smirk? The whole world wanted that kid beat up because of that. Turns out he's getting PAID now after CNN, Washington post and all those media settled before court for trying to ruin the kids life?

Or that video of that man who grabbed a baseball ball in the stands and gave it to his wife instead of the kid in front on him. With headlines like.. "Man steal balls from kid and gives it to his wife". That man received so much hate. When turns out he helped that kid getting a ball BEFORE he got that other one. 

Or the hundreds of other examples i could bring up? Those videos that we ALL fell for and were fooled by that you use to form your opinion? lol 

That latest video, obviously that kid should have never brought a gun and everything. BUT we still don't know what happened for the first shooting by the car dealership to happen (the one the media are now showing). I saw the videos and i can't tell. Maybe it was self-defense, nobody knows.All i know is that both sides are violent and using violence right now but the media is only showing one side. But it sure led to a sh!t ton a people chasing that kid screaming to beat him up. So he defended himself. So as long as we don't know what happened in the first incident we shouldn't form an opinion. The media is also framing it that the kid walked right by them eventhough they were responding to a shooting and that people were screaming that he just shot someone. That's also false. That kid may very well be 100% to blame and should have consequences no matter what but depending on the context it's changing many things.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

I generally stay away from talking politics, but since you brought up Nick Sandmann I have to say I’m really happy for him. He’s supposedly getting upwards of around 80 million dollars. Covington is right across the river from me, and is a part of the Cincinnati metro area, so that case was literally close to home for me. It was absolutely terrible what they tried to do to that kid. It’s really funny seeing CNN and others have to cover him with an unbiased take now. Like his speech at the RNC recently. If not for the settlement they would try to completely obliterate him lol

Edited by Nicomo
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I generally stay away from talking politics, but since you brought up Nick Sandmann I have to say I’m really happy for him. He’s supposedly getting upwards of around 80 million dollars. Covington is right across the river from me, and is a part of the Cincinnati metro area, so that case was literally close to home for me. It was absolutely terrible what they tried to do to that kid. It’s really funny seeing CNN and others have to cover him with an unbiased take now. Like his speech at the RNC recently. If not for the settlement they would try to completely obliterate him lol

Yeah i know this is a bit too political because of a few of those examples BUT my point is that it's coming from a toxic mentality that WE basically all use in everything. Sports included. We'd all be a lot happier getting that mentality out of our system the the whole world would 200% benefit from that, it's the core to all the problems we're seeing. The whole confirmation bias/echo chamber mixed with the "us against them" mentality and that someone with an opposing opinion is basically Hitler 2.0 which gives us the right to do anything bad to them. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

I find myself withdrawing from a lot of current news. Even international news is just too depressing. I've never read so much of the NYT arts section before. Political discourse has become exhausting, and I have grown up breathing politics.

And I doubt the environment will change on November 4th.

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Bolts up 3-1 on the B’s

Isles took a 2-1 lead in their series

Vegas up early 1-0 on the Nucks

at least there’s that

im really hoping the Avs ties the series tomorrow too, i ready had them going all the way.

Wasn't able to catch the games so i dont know if they just didnt play great or if the Stars actually played well

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

im really hoping the Avs ties the series tomorrow too, i ready had them going all the way.

Wasn't able to catch the games so i dont know if they just didnt play great or if the Stars actually played well

The Stars are legit. Heiskanen has been an absolute stud. Other than Patrick the top 5 of the 2017 draft is looking like a hell of a class. 

Shocking the multitude of the white suburban  hockey fans who don't understand what black players across athletics are trying to articulate - which there's some real problems in systemic racism and inequality right now that disproportionately affects their communities. So you have 24 year old white hockey players who don't know how to react because they didn't grow up with the same vision, or even in the same continent, that are stopping for a second to listen to what their brothers are telling them. They should be commended. What the NBA has done to encourage their owners to open up arenas for polling stations in their cities is a seemingly-direct result from pressure upwards. 

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

Shocking the multitude of the white suburban  hockey fans who don't understand what black players across athletics are trying to articulate - which there's some real problems in systemic racism and inequality right now that disproportionately affects their communities. So you have 24 year old white hockey players who don't know how to react because they didn't grow up with the same vision, or even in the same continent, that are stopping for a second to listen to what their brothers are telling them. They should be commended. What the NBA has done to encourage their owners to open up arenas for polling stations in their cities is a seemingly-direct result from pressure upwards. 

Well said

11 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

I think you're missing the point some people made here. We know how important the actual message here. We're simply challenging the notion that "stopping for a second to listen.. RIGHT NOW" is actually accomplishing anything since it's been MONTHS that this very subject took over the whole world, we hear about it daily, it happened at a time when the whole world was actually stopped because of covid-19, people had nothing else to do but listen to this and educate themselves, plus WAY bigger events happened to bring attention to it than cancelling a few sports games. We know how important it is to get the message out there. But the thing is, it's BEEN out there for months. Everyone knows about it, everyone had discussions about it and everyone made up their minds about it too already. It's been MONTHS.

How many white suburban hockey fans do you know that saw NHL games being cancelled and went "Holy fvck, Suzan come here! Have you heard about that whole BLM thing going on?"

Now, those athletes and leagues have the means to reach out to so many people by doing what they do and actually DO something to help. Those athletes could literally sh!t in a bucket and sell it for profits that'd go toward the cause. IF there's anything extra to say, playing the game is putting cameras on them. Sports is rallying people together, it's giving people SOME positive in what is an incredibly negative world at the moment. And it's giving employees and businesses some revenue after months of being unemployed or taking a huge hit financially.

We can disagree on this but don't paint people not agreeing with your stance as ignorants or wtv. We all agree that things need to be done and we need change, but let's not get blindly fooled that ANYTHING they want to do is a good idea no matter how good the intentions are. Some ideas should be challenged and weight in the pros and cons. They wanted to paint the blue lines black for "awareness", which is a bad idea for game play obviously... then PK Subban asked Bettman if the league would consider for the NHL a sort of Rooney rule like in the NFL where they'd have to interview at least like 3 black coaches before hiring one... i mean there's 30+ teams.. go on and name 3 black nhl caliber coaches right now without googling. 

The polling stations is certainly a good thing but it may very well been accomplished anyway

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Would you buy it and put it behind glass, or would you hold out for Michael J. Fox’s?

;) 

lol fun fact. In quebec there was this reality tv show that was basically an american idols rip off. And one guy from where i grew up in New-Brunswick went and won. He became a big star in Quebec and i know him a bit but know his neighbour really well... so get this, tourists from Quebec would come to see the house where "Wilfred" grew up in Tracadie and literally steal dog poo from the yard as a souvenir. Not even kidding lol 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Haha 2