2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Jerzey

1 minute ago, jagknife said:

So I'm gonna go out on a limb and say you meant to post a different picture, cause every single player on that list, minus one big-foreheaded exception, all signed last summer... for the deals listed....

Oh, weird. I just did a quick Google search and I thought it said it was this year's upcoming UFAs.  Guess it was last year's.  Even still, the point remains, as I don't think Vegas is any more of an attraction destination this year than it would have been last year :D 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

The athletic have done a Mock Expansion draft following moves at the deadline.

This is the protected list they suggested for the Devil's. 355020983_Screenshot_20210429-094433_TheAthletic.thumb.jpg.7089feec90599609816c40e74d19f399.jpg

Just to note Merkley and Bastian would also be on that potentially available list. 

The two writers did a draft each, one had Seattle taking Andreas Johnnson and the other Will Butcher. 

They said that the stats department might be tempted by Johnnson , so anyone who has said advance stats don't have a place in hockey they could help us get rid of that absolute anchor. 

My only change on the protected list might be to switch PK for Murray. We could get lucky and remove that contract from the books. Although I will say that I feel PK had actually been much better this year. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I don’t like the idea of losing Bastian. Like, at all.

Agree. Has he been good enough to make himself a target over Johnsson and Butcher? Probably so. The concept that Seattle will take one of those two or PK sounds amazing, but I don’t see why they’d choose to do that. Johnsson is coming off a bust of a year, Butcher barely played in the NHL, and PK costs a fortune and returns very little on that investment. 

Maybe there will be cap concerns that make PK desirable. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hmmm I like Bastian, but Kuokkanen has 22 points mostly at Even strength. Cannot see any way that Bastian would be favoured over him. 

I don’t want to lose either of those guys. In an ideal world, both are protected.

14 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Johnsson had a bad year for sure, but I wonder if it is just a this season thing or he just plain sucks.

I'd rather them take Butcher as I have seen enough of him to know he sucks.

My only hesitation in that plan is having zero people to take his spot. Our defense is so bad that Will Butcher has a spot...

28 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Johnsson had a bad year for sure, but I wonder if it is just a this season thing or he just plain sucks.

I'd rather them take Butcher as I have seen enough of him to know he sucks.

Butcher's a little like a NFL backup QB at this point...when someone else isn't playing well in front of him, you wonder why the backup isn't getting a shot.  After a few games, you're reminded why.

He's not making a ton and has one year left on his deal...someone who hasn't seen all of his games the past couple of seasons will take a flyer.  I have a feeling the Devils would love to give him one more shot though...not the end of the world necessarily, and like mfitz said, not like the Devils are loaded with D-depth...but at the same time, I hate when guys who appear less and less to be a part of the solution just get to keep hanging around.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

My only hesitation in that plan is having zero people to take his spot. Our defense is so bad that Will Butcher has a spot...

Reilly Walsh basically sounds like a better skating version of Butcher to me, so he could probably fill that role (sheltered 3rd pair mins, PP2, etc). 

• Like 1

Can't understand the notion of exposing PK.  The Devils don't have cap issues, other than maybe trying to hit the floor.  There is one more year left on that contract and he plays the most minutes out of the whole D corps.  And if the Devils don't want to extend him, they retain half and trade him to a contender at the deadline.  I feel like he is a much more valuable asset than Will Butcher.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Can't understand the notion of exposing PK.  The Devils don't have cap issues, other than maybe trying to hit the floor.  There is one more year left on that contract and he plays the most minutes out of the whole D corps.  And if the Devils don't want to extend him, they retain half and trade him to a contender at the deadline.  I feel like he is a much more valuable asset than Will Butcher.

You’re probably right. And you know they wouldn’t use that $9m for anything anyway, so what’s the point of saving it?

1 minute ago, Max20Characters said:

It makes so much sense to me to leave PK exposed. Either they take him off our hands, or they don't because he's too expensive. His cost is like protecting him without having to protect him. So use that extra protect slot for another play we want to keep

I think if he was owed more than one year, he'd be more prohibitive.  But with just the one year left, Seattle can take him, hope he plays reasonably well, then flip him for a pick before next year's deadline...and if they're willing to eat a chunk of his remaining money, maybe the pick is a little better.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

It makes so much sense to me to leave PK exposed. Either they take him off our hands, or they don't because he's too expensive. His cost is like protecting him without having to protect him. So use that extra protect slot for another play we want to keep

Remind me why we want him taken off our hands?

3 hours ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Hmmm I like Bastian, but Kuokkanen has 22 points mostly at Even strength. Cannot see any way that Bastian would be favoured over him. 

Mainly because I feel like Kuokanen is taking a top 6 role that he probably won’t hold for too long. Bastian is a prefect 4th line player. Big hits, fights, and has a slight scoring touch. 

1 hour ago, Max20Characters said:

He's too expensive for what he provides.

Yeah he's really held the team back this season because of it.  Are you saying we should make a statement or something?  The Devils will NOT accept overpayment when it comes to player salaries.  Even if said overpayment fills a gaping hole on defense, is an incredibly marketable face for a franchise that could really use it, and allows the team to be cap compliant.

He provides a lot more than you're letting on to.  I'm not saying I would sign him to $9m today, I'm saying the difference in his "deserved" salary, whatever you may think that is, is not worth replacing him.

• Like 1