2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Jerzey

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Johnsson makes the most sense, you have to assume last season was the fluke and he’ll be much better this year. 

I certainly hope that’s the case if Seattle doesn’t take him.

Edited by MadDog2020
  • Like 1

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Johnsson's career production basically came from one freakish streak...a 38-game stretch in 2018-19, where he somehow potted 18 goals and added 15 assists (shot 25% for this run).  The rest of his career has seen him put up 17 G and 28 A in 137 GP.  And Toronto thought so much of that 2018-19 big run that they traded him for a total "if" kind of player just two seasons after.

That run of course buoys his 2018-19 season numbers (20 goals), so he'll live off that for a while, in terms of teams thinking there's a gold mine waiting to be discovered.  But it looks like that burst of offense was the real fluke.  I agree that he should be more productive than last year, but by how much?  Maybe 0.4 points per game, instead of the roughly 0.2 he managed last season?  I just wouldn't bet on him becoming much of an offensive force.

You shouldn’t have typed that out in case Seattle is reading this. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

You shouldn’t have typed that out in case Seattle is reading this. 

I do think "But he scored 20 goals in 2018-19" will buy him some chances regardless...his age helps too (not yet 27).  There's going to be at least two teams that will take a "It won't cost much to get him and we'll able to get more out of him" approach.  I can understand Seattle thinking he could be a solid pickup w/upside.

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I do think "But he scored 20 goals in 2018-19" will buy him some chances regardless...his age helps too (not yet 27).  There's going to be at least two teams that will take a "It won't cost much to get him and we'll able to get more out of him" approach.  I can understand Seattle thinking he could be a solid pickup w/upside.

Everyone says they are taking Bastian. I know I shouldn’t care about losing a somewhat borderline 4th liner, but he and McLeod together are something. 

That said, there isn’t anyone we protected that I would have left unprotected in favor of Bastian. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Everyone says they are taking Bastian. I know I shouldn’t care about losing a somewhat borderline 4th liner, but he and McLeod together are something. 

That said, there isn’t anyone we protected that I would have left unprotected in favor of Bastian. 

yeah the Bastian / McLeod connection is the main reason i'd be really bummed about losing him. Cause players like him are not that hard to find around the league really and they don't go for too much money either

6 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

There's two reasons I would hate to lose Bastian.  You stated the first one...he seems to have some chemistry with McLeod.

The second one is for purely selfish reasons...my RR GW is a Bastian.  I'd still wear it regardless, but a lot more fun wearing it if he's still here.

And I agree, can't really make a case over why he should've been protected over someone else.

Are you allowed to trade say, a draft pick or picks to Sea for them not to choose someone from your unprotected list? I suppose it tips your hand and they could ask for more, but is that legal? Is that what 'future considerations' is?

They have to take someone but you can send a pick if they promise to take a specific player who you're not concerned about protecting.   Several teams did that with Vegas and it didn't work out well for many of them.   See Columbus.  

30 minutes ago, eldon said:

Are you allowed to trade say, a draft pick or picks to Sea for them not to choose someone from your unprotected list? I suppose it tips your hand and they could ask for more, but is that legal? Is that what 'future considerations' is?

11 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I find it positively ridiculous that signing an unrestricted free agent means that Florida now doesn’t have to give up any other players. 

NHL should redefine the phrase, because that’s not what unrestricted means.

Right, they’re giving up someone they have rights to for a week following the expansion draft. I don’t see how that makes any sense. 

47 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I find it positively ridiculous that signing an unrestricted free agent means that Florida now doesn’t have to give up any other players. 

NHL should redefine the phrase, because that’s not what unrestricted means.

Yeah really cause they were going to lose him anyway probably.

With the shakeup that Poile is trying in Nashville, if they lose Johansen tomorrow, it might be full rebuild time down there.   I know everyone lumps him in with Duchene, but RyJo is a 60 point center under anyone but Hynes that looks lazier than he is and always turns into a true 1C in the playoffs, but I digress.  If he's gone in addition to Ellis and Arvidsson a rebuild has to be in the works.  I would love to target Filip Forsberg for next summer when he's UFA.  Ideally, we pay up for a 1D  this summer, get Jack signed long term during the year and then spend big on bringing in the top line winger we are missing next year.       

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

With the shakeup that Poile is trying in Nashville, if they lose Johansen tomorrow, it might be full rebuild time down there.   I know everyone lumps him in with Duchene, but RyJo is a 60 point center under anyone but Hynes that looks lazier than he is and always turns into a true 1C in the playoffs, but I digress.  If he's gone in addition to Ellis and Arvidsson a rebuild has to be in the works.  I would love to target Filip Forsberg for next summer when he's UFA.  Ideally, we pay up for a 1D  this summer, get Jack signed long term during the year and then spend big on bringing in the top line winger we are missing next year.       

Good plan. 

I heard this on the Dangle podcast tonight while landscaping and avoiding the family, so it's not an original thought but why do the Kraken not just select Landeskog tomorrow and offer him 6.5/7 x 8 or whatever needed to be their first captain?  My concerns about the Devils throwing a sh!t ton of $$$ at him (as a wing) are more about timing, salary structure within a young core and guys like Hughes coming up for contracts but I think Seattle is in a totally different position.   It makes a lot of sense to me for the Kraken to snag him.    

To bring this back to the Coleman conversation in another thread and taking the money, if I'm Landeskog, I can't imagine not seeing this through in Colorado.   He's been there 10 years, most as captain, and they are right on the cusp.          

2 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I heard this on the Dangle podcast tonight while landscaping and avoiding the family, so it's not an original thought but why do the Kraken not just select Landeskog tomorrow and offer him 6.5/7 x 8 or whatever needed to be their first captain?  My concerns about the Devils throwing a sh!t ton of $$$ at him (as a wing) are more about timing, salary structure within a young core and guys like Hughes coming up for contracts but I think Seattle is in a totally different position.   It makes a lot of sense to me for the Kraken to snag him.    

To bring this back to the Coleman conversation in another thread and taking the money, if I'm Landeskog, I can't imagine not seeing this through in Colorado.   He's been there 10 years, most as captain, and they are right on the cusp.          

Unless something else is at play, I agree.

18 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I wouldn't be totally surprised if he has a deal in place with Colorado that won't be signed until after the expansion draft. Wouldn't make a ton of sense for the Kraken to waste that selection on Landeskog when there are other good players that will be available from Colorado.