2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Jerzey

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Oilers Twitter losing their sh!t right now. Hearing they're bringing Mike Smith back on a multi-year deal. Fans calling for Holland's head

And they lost Larsson. That franchise is a trainwreck lol

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Over/Under on how many more seasons before McDavid requests a trade?

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Seattle is NOT taking Price.

So much for the "Any team would take Price on their team if they could" crowd. 

They are picking Cale Fleury instead

Probably smart of them not to be committed to that albatross of a contract.

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same here.  Trying to stay optimistic about this offseason, but I get the feeling Fitz is going to be sitting on an ever-growing pile of cap space, and we'll be lamenting that with ALL THAT MONEY HOW COULD THE DEVILS NOT MANAGE ONE MAJOR SIGNING?!  Not even saying it will be on him...just that "If you build a massive mountain of cap room...they still won't fvcking come..."

This is why a few weeks back that I was going on and on about help or "weaponizing cap space" not coming from a top-tier UFA but from a major trade.  These top tier UFA are more likely to be willing to take a small pay cut to go to the team they want than going to the highest bidder (see Panarin and Tavares).  If the Devils walk away from UFA with Coleman at 5 x $5M then I would consider that a win at this point.  I still think Hamilton is pie in the sky thinking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This is why a few weeks back that I was going on and on about help or "weaponizing cap space" not coming from a top-tier UFA but from a major trade.  These top tier UFA are more likely to be willing to take a small pay cut to go to the team they want than going to the highest bidder (see Panarin and Tavares).  If the Devils walk away from UFA with Coleman at 5 x $5M then I would consider that a win at this point.  I still think Hamilton is pie in the sky thinking.

Now more than ever, I think the "weaponizing" will come in the form of being able to keep whoever they want to without having to trade any assets to make room.  And yeah, the ability to shop in the mid-tier range without having to worry about cap implications.  Still don't know if there's enough value among the youth to swing a deal for higher-end player.

The funny thing is that I think Fitz WOULD spend big on a high-priced UFA, but it just doesn't feel like it's an option for the Devils.  I could see him making Hamilton a "We want YOU" offer and Hamilton saying "Nah".

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now more than ever, I think the "weaponizing" will come in the form of being able to keep whoever they want to without having to trade any assets to make room.  And yeah, the ability to shop in the mid-tier range without having to worry about cap implications.  Still don't know if there's enough value among the youth to swing a deal for higher-end player.

The funny thing is that I think Fitz WOULD spend big on a high-priced UFA, but it just doesn't feel like it's an option for the Devils.  I could see him making Hamilton a "We want YOU" offer and Hamilton saying "Nah".

The problem becomes bigger if Seattle does indeed take Subban.  Unless some salary was retained, that would still put us very far under the cap floor.  At that point it may become a sticking situation where Fitz is forced to give out bigger-than-they-should-be contracts to mid-tier UFA just to meet the floor.  That is still taking into account paying players like Hughes, Sharangovich, etc.

I do think there is enough value with some of our younger players to swing a deal.  Zacha's stock has gone up, Sharangovich seems to be a possible interest, and I would even consider trading Hischier for the right guy (though we do need his contract so he would be less likely to go).  No one should be untouchable outside of maybe Hughes and Smith.

1 minute ago, Lateralous said:

Agreed. I would have even preferred McLeod go honestly.  

Disagree with wanting McLeod gone, but I would've liked to see someone else go.

But anyway - this Seattle roster is 100% better than our team right now.  Absolutely wild.

Shame we couldn't just blow our entire team up, release everyone, and do a freakin' franchise draft back in 13 or 14.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Disagree with wanting McLeod gone, but I would've liked to see someone else go.

But anyway - this Seattle roster is 100% better than our team right now.  Absolutely wild.

Shame we couldn't just blow our entire team up, release everyone, and do a freakin' franchise draft back in 13 or 14.

I wanted Johnsson gone.  

I was just saying I would have preferred to keep Bastian over McLeod who we protected.   in other words, I would have used the last protection slot differently 

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Aitchmack said:

I was looking forward to watching the draft tonight, but there's so many names that have been leaked that I'm not 100% sure I'll bother now.

If the rumors are right a defense that includes Larsson, Giordano, Dunn and Oleksiak will be pretty solid.

Agreed I was tempted to stay up, but knowing the list there is no point. The NHL once again drops the ball. 

• Like 1

Of course it is very NHL-like for them to shoot themselves in their own foot with all these leaks, especially from the NHL SiriusXM radio network account.  At this point there is no use to even tune into the first televised NHL event on ESPN in over 15 years.  I bet ESPN is thrilled with this start.

• Like 3