2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Jerzey

Will be interesting to see if Tampa have swung any deals to keep Palat and Killorn. Gourde would not have been my choice. 

With Goodrow and Gourde both going and Coleman UFA they are close to losing their entire 3rd line. Although I think they try harder to keep Coleman now. 

Edited by Chimaira_Devil_#9

8 hours ago, MB3 said:

Looking at Seattle’s team just makes me cringe. Ron Francis isn’t George McPhee and Dave Hakstol isn’t Gerard Gallant. 

Unless there are solid moves today, so many head scratchers from yesterday. I honestly thought he’d have a chance to build a stronger lineup than Vegas from day 1 and that one doesn’t even look like a bubble team.

…. says the guy rooting for a bubble team, at best….

8 hours ago, Lateralous said:

So they had a big expansion draft event tonight but let the selections leak out in advance and held the side deals until after?   

90 minutes of mistakes, brought to you by the NHL, a Jerry Brucheimer production.

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

Will be interesting to see if Tampa have swung any deals to keep Palat and Killorn. Gourde would not have been my choice. 

With Goodrow and Gourde both going and Coleman UFA they are close to losing their entire 3rd line. Although I think they try harder to keep Coleman now. 

In my run through of the simulator, Gourde was my pick. So at least Francis got one right

I thought he put together a decent team. Lots of role players. Very good D imo. (all big, mobile) They stayed away from the glam names (expensive). I just don't get John Quenville? Tyler Pitlick?

I wondered if Habs fans secretly wanted Price to get picked. Now, unless they hold half his $$, they're stuck with an aging 10 mil anchor around your neck. Mentioned this on Twitter last night, and a Habs fan said the City would melt. 

3 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

I thought he put together a decent team. Lots of role players. Very good D imo. (all big, mobile) They stayed away from the glam names (expensive). I just don't get John Quenville? Tyler Pitlick?

I wondered if Habs fans secretly wanted Price to get picked. Now, unless they hold half his $$, they're stuck with an aging 10 mil anchor around your neck. Mentioned this on Twitter last night, and a Habs fan said the City would melt. 

I think I’m more confused with the number of legit top 6 forwards available and they really only picked, what, 1?

1pm should be interesting 

1 hour ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

I doubt Tampa had to entice them to pick Gourde.   Picking a good 2C/3C makes a lot of sense in their position 

this was one of the few picks they made that didn’t leave me shaking my head.  

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, Chimaira_Devil_#9 said:

So it looks like they have taken the route of being the third party in trade deals where they get an insentive to be involved. 

On the face of it I think these are going to be really complicated. 

They can trade us Larsson for Johnsson and a 3rd, I will accept that. 

• Like 1

Rumor was that the price Seattle was asking from teams to select 1 unprotected player over another was ridiculously high and GM's got wise to the game Vegas played last time around and weren't wiling to pay it.  

The John Quennvville pick from Chicago baffled me the most.  He is a good AHL player with low (or no) NHL upside.  I don't get that one at all, just like the guy they took from the Flyers whose best attribute is that he's big.

Losing Bastian is not great, but I can't fault Fitz with his protection list at all.  Unfortunately, Seattle picked the best player from our team that was left unprotected, instead of taking a flyer on a guy like Johnnson or Butcher.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

They can trade us Larsson for Johnsson and a 3rd, I will accept that. 

I didn't watch the entire show last night (it was borderline unbearable the part that I did see).  However, I don't think Larsson made an appearance.  I can't see them trading away any of the guys that they flew out to Seattle that appeared on the stage.  That would be weird and unnecessary.  However, I can see Larsson getting dealt today with Seattle acting as the middle man in the contract negotiations and picking up draft picks/prospects in return.

BTW...ESPN is terrible.  Other than 30 for 30, there isn't anything on that network that i tune in to watch.  Kevin Weekes' on location segments were the best part of what I saw.  Chris Fowler knows nothing about hockey (or geography for that matter) and he's the guy you picked to do this.  Not a great start for ESPN's coverage of the NHL.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Chuck the Duck said:

I didn't watch the entire show last night (it was borderline unbearable the part that I did see).  However, I don't think Larsson made an appearance.  I can't see them trading away any of the guys that they flew out to Seattle that appeared on the stage.  That would be weird and unnecessary.  However, I can see Larsson getting dealt today with Seattle acting as the middle man in the contract negotiations and picking up draft picks/prospects in return.

BTW...ESPN is terrible.  Other than 30 for 30, there isn't anything on that network that i tune in to watch.  Kevin Weekes' on location segments were the best part of what I saw.  Chris Fowler knows nothing about hockey (or geography for that matter) and he's the guy you picked to do this.  Not a great start for ESPN's coverage of the NHL.

Larsson was a UFA that opted to sign with Seattle, no?   If so, no way they trade him.   

21 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Larsson was a UFA that opted to sign with Seattle, no?   If so, no way they trade him.   

If Larsson knew about the deal, maybe:

Adam: "Sorry, can't do that, I want to go back to NJ".

Kraken: "Sign with us for 4 years, we'll trade you to New Jersey for Johnsson and the Islanders 1st. The trade is almost one for one"

Adam: "Cool, I will sign your deal but then I ain't flying to Seattle for your lame TV show."

Kraken: "Deal. Congrats on looking like a human version of Gritty."

Adam: "Thanks, I call my look Muppet chic."

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

If Larsson knew about the deal, maybe:

Adam: "Sorry, can't do that, I want to go back to NJ".

Kraken: "Sign with us for 4 years, we'll trade you to New Jersey for Johnsson and the Islanders 1st. The trade is almost one for one"

Adam: "Cool, I will sign your deal but then I ain't flying to Seattle for your lame TV show."

Kraken: "Deal. Congrats on looking like a human version of Gritty."

Adam: "Thanks, I call my look Muppet chic."

Larsson has been on the west coast for several years now. I doubt he wants to go all the way to the other side of the country

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

Im still confused cause there's still many players they picked that i wouldn't even want lol They could have picked up more established guys trying to flip them to contenders for picks or something. But they took a bunch of guys like Quenneville which will just... not do much... ever or bring any value.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Ok, Seattle picks are done. For me, now, let's get rid of Subban and build a defense that isn't a pushover.

I don't get the sentiment that we need to get rid of Subban like the dude has the plague. He hasn't been spectacular but I don't see why some people are in such a rush either. 

• Like 6

14 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Im still confused cause there's still many players they picked that i wouldn't even want lol They could have picked up more established guys trying to flip them to contenders for picks or something. But they took a bunch of guys like Quenneville which will just... not do much... ever or bring any value.

Yeah, I’m really curious to see if this all comes together like the last 5 minutes of The Usual Suspects or Ron Francis is just out to lunch.   

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I don't get the sentiment that we need to get rid of Subban like the dude has the plague. He hasn't been spectacular but I don't see why some people are in such a rush either. 

I'd understand it more if he had 3-4 years left on his deal. But with one year, I don't see the rush unless we acquire someone to fill his role. Even then, you might do better at the deadline when another team might be desperate. 

I do see that he has a 6 million signing bonus due, so I could definitely see the team looking to get out from under that. 

1 minute ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I'd understand it more if he had 3-4 years left on his deal. But with one year, I don't see the rush unless we acquire someone to fill his role. Even then, you might do better at the deadline when another team might be desperate. 

I do see that he has a 6 million signing bonus due, so I could definitely see the team looking to get out from under that. 

Even if NJ got rid of him, they'd be in another bind trying to throw money at anyone just to get to the cap floor. So again, I don't see the reason to rush unless there is a plan to spend money somewhere else.

Also, maybe this is wrong, but I saw that most of PK's money was already paid out in bonuses and he was only owed 2MM on his 9MM cap next season. Again, maybe that is bad info.

22 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Agree, but we should be listening from now. Not sure if the deal would be better now rather than at the deadline.   No question he gets moved one way or the other.