2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

Jerzey

4 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

They are also talking to hamilton.... please let him at least make it to free agency

Let’s hope they’re not throwing away our…shot. 

4 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Would've liked a shot at Larsson but it's not the end of the world. Poor guy going from Edmonton to Seattle, he's never gonna see the sun again

He will be fine. He's from Sweden; the world capital of angst

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Would've liked a shot at Larsson but it's not the end of the world. Poor guy going from Edmonton to Seattle, he's never gonna see the sun again

Actually pretty nice there in summer.  A lot of their precipitation happens from October through April.  

33 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Why are you assuming he'll sign in Seattle?

2 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

They are also talking to hamilton.... please let him at least make it to free agency

That would suck.  Also, then Carolina doesn't have to give up Bean or Niederreider in the draft which would have weakened them further.    

Edited by Lateralous
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why are you assuming he'll sign in Seattle?

NHL expansion draft: Kraken snag Adam Larsson, Jamie Oleksiak (yahoo.com)

2 minutes ago, CarpathianForest said:

Because he did 16mil/4 years

Ahh, didn’t look back far enough, last thing I read was that they were talking. 

that sucks, especially at that price. I would have given him more money and more term.  

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

Because he did lol

Well his is almost 30 and has kids to feed…

Wait, what are we talking about again??

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, mfitz804 said:

Ahh, didn’t look back far enough, last thing I read was that they were talking. 

that sucks, especially at that price. I would have given him more money and more term.  

Same here.  Trying to stay optimistic about this offseason, but I get the feeling Fitz is going to be sitting on an ever-growing pile of cap space, and we'll be lamenting that with ALL THAT MONEY HOW COULD THE DEVILS NOT MANAGE ONE MAJOR SIGNING?!  Not even saying it will be on him...just that "If you build a massive mountain of cap room...they still won't fvcking come..."

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Oilers Twitter losing their sh!t right now. Hearing they're bringing Mike Smith back on a multi-year deal. Fans calling for Holland's head

Poor McDavid and Draisatl.   Filling out a competent team around those two should really be the easy part.    

10 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Oilers Twitter losing their sh!t right now. Hearing they're bringing Mike Smith back on a multi-year deal. Fans calling for Holland's head

And they lost Larsson. That franchise is a trainwreck lol

3 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Over/Under on how many more seasons before McDavid requests a trade?

19 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Seattle is NOT taking Price.

So much for the "Any team would take Price on their team if they could" crowd. 

They are picking Cale Fleury instead

Probably smart of them not to be committed to that albatross of a contract.

45 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Same here.  Trying to stay optimistic about this offseason, but I get the feeling Fitz is going to be sitting on an ever-growing pile of cap space, and we'll be lamenting that with ALL THAT MONEY HOW COULD THE DEVILS NOT MANAGE ONE MAJOR SIGNING?!  Not even saying it will be on him...just that "If you build a massive mountain of cap room...they still won't fvcking come..."

This is why a few weeks back that I was going on and on about help or "weaponizing cap space" not coming from a top-tier UFA but from a major trade.  These top tier UFA are more likely to be willing to take a small pay cut to go to the team they want than going to the highest bidder (see Panarin and Tavares).  If the Devils walk away from UFA with Coleman at 5 x $5M then I would consider that a win at this point.  I still think Hamilton is pie in the sky thinking.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

This is why a few weeks back that I was going on and on about help or "weaponizing cap space" not coming from a top-tier UFA but from a major trade.  These top tier UFA are more likely to be willing to take a small pay cut to go to the team they want than going to the highest bidder (see Panarin and Tavares).  If the Devils walk away from UFA with Coleman at 5 x $5M then I would consider that a win at this point.  I still think Hamilton is pie in the sky thinking.

Now more than ever, I think the "weaponizing" will come in the form of being able to keep whoever they want to without having to trade any assets to make room.  And yeah, the ability to shop in the mid-tier range without having to worry about cap implications.  Still don't know if there's enough value among the youth to swing a deal for higher-end player.

The funny thing is that I think Fitz WOULD spend big on a high-priced UFA, but it just doesn't feel like it's an option for the Devils.  I could see him making Hamilton a "We want YOU" offer and Hamilton saying "Nah".

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

There are a lot of hunters on the hunt. I want big names and some solid names, but I cant expect we will sign them. Reason why Fitzy mdae trades. The problem is we dont have assets any more.

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Now more than ever, I think the "weaponizing" will come in the form of being able to keep whoever they want to without having to trade any assets to make room.  And yeah, the ability to shop in the mid-tier range without having to worry about cap implications.  Still don't know if there's enough value among the youth to swing a deal for higher-end player.

The funny thing is that I think Fitz WOULD spend big on a high-priced UFA, but it just doesn't feel like it's an option for the Devils.  I could see him making Hamilton a "We want YOU" offer and Hamilton saying "Nah".

The problem becomes bigger if Seattle does indeed take Subban.  Unless some salary was retained, that would still put us very far under the cap floor.  At that point it may become a sticking situation where Fitz is forced to give out bigger-than-they-should-be contracts to mid-tier UFA just to meet the floor.  That is still taking into account paying players like Hughes, Sharangovich, etc.

I do think there is enough value with some of our younger players to swing a deal.  Zacha's stock has gone up, Sharangovich seems to be a possible interest, and I would even consider trading Hischier for the right guy (though we do need his contract so he would be less likely to go).  No one should be untouchable outside of maybe Hughes and Smith.