2021 Seattle Expansion Draft

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, other than his shot being off this season (and his offensive game in general) he wasn’t really throwing the big hits he used to either. I remember seeing him absolutely destroy guy’s when he was in Montreal. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

This.  I want another look at Subban after this offseason. He is CUT. UP.   He looks like PK Subban before the injury.

43 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I'm not sure that's what was missing in his game, but I am not ready to give up on him yet either. 

I'm definitely not a Subban guy (based on how his numbers fell off as his final season in Nashville wore on, and his rough year last season), and I wouldn't miss him if the Devils were able to move him...

BUT, the good news with him is that there's a light at the end of the tunnel.  Only two seasons left.  Devils aren't crippled by his cap hit.  I've seen older athletes get all gung-ho about getting into tip-top shape, or suddenly feeling like they have something to prove, or feeling extra motivated or re-invigorated...but that obviously doesn't automatically translate into turning back the Decline Clock, no matter how lean, ripped, or bulked up someone might look.  I'll be surprised if we seem play that much better than he did last year.

That being said, basically how much do the Devils have to lose by essentially approaching the upcoming season as a "do-over" year for PK?  Hopefully he plays well enough that he might be able to bring something back (I would never risk re-signing him), and actually helps his team in the process.  If he looks like he did last season...you just gotta put up with him for one more year at most.  Best thing about him is that the Devils were only tied to him for three seasons once they got him.  

5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Well, other than his shot being off this season (and his offensive game in general) he wasn’t really throwing the big hits he used to either. I remember seeing him absolutely destroy guy’s when he was in Montreal. 

I remember him having a great hit on opening night before the seventh seal was opened after the second period and our season (and apparently the world) fell into this alternate time line. 

Also I was at a game when he was a Canadien and he murdered poor Adam Larsson. 

• Like 2

It's crazy to be talking about the end of Zajac's Devils career, whenever that does happen. I know we've all said this when Marty and Patty left, but Zajac leaving will really be a final goodbye to that era of Devils hockey. Played his first year at CAA with Marty, Patty, Sarge, Pandolfo, Madden, Langs, Brian Gionta. He's the last link to any great Devils teams. Can't believe he was only 27 when he scored that goal to keep us alive against Florida in 2012. 2007 and 2010 could've been special, too. 

I have no idea where the years went. I usually find the charm in watching losing teams, but with the Devils it seems like the last decade just went up in smoke, year after year. 

On 8/6/2020 at 2:38 PM, Devil Dan 56 said:

I remember him having a great hit on opening night before the seventh seal was opened after the second period and our season (and apparently the world) fell into this alternate time line. 

Also I was at a game when he was a Canadien and he murdered poor Adam Larsson. 

I too was there and remember thinking Larsson shoulda kept his head up and he was probably dead.

Re Zajac: I’m a huge homer of his so in the words of Teddy KGB, “Pay that man his money” and keep him. If someone like Zacha tries to use age or ability as a negotiation point, I’d come back with “okay, play over 1,000 games in your career and put up about 600 points on some dogsh!t teams then come back and you’ll get Zajac money.”

As for the expansion draft, man I dunno which I’d pick. Usually it’d be a simple pick 7-3-1 but now we’re such a meh team that 8-1 would probably be enough.

Nico

Bratt

Hughes

Zajac

Palms (if he’s willing to stay)

Goose (if he’s insane enough to stay here)

Severson (please keep getting better, please)

PK/Butcher/Rooney (completely kidding about Rooney, and as much as I love PK, he needs to bounce back this year to earn this spot or if Butcher bounces back he takes it)

Blackwood

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

They don’t have to protect Hughes. 

So here was my concern/misunderstanding - I thought the player who finishes his second full year of service would not be considered a 2 year player. Kind of like one of those "less than 2 years of service" clauses meaning since he finished, he was considered more than 2 years.