Jump to content

2021 Seattle Expansion Draft


Jerzey

Recommended Posts

46 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Yeah he's really held the team back this season because of it.  Are you saying we should make a statement or something?  The Devils will NOT accept overpayment when it comes to player salaries.  Even if said overpayment fills a gaping hole on defense, is an incredibly marketable face for a franchise that could really use it, and allows the team to be cap compliant.

He provides a lot more than you're letting on to.  I'm not saying I would sign him to $9m today, I'm saying the difference in his "deserved" salary, whatever you may think that is, is not worth replacing him.

In all your rambling you asked one question, if I'm saying the devils should make a statement. No, they should expose him because either Seattle doesn't take him because of his price which means we have an extra player we can protect or they take him and it makes no difference to our play and we save the money for a cheaper defenseman who provides the same thing.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Max20Characters said:

In all your rambling you asked one question, if I'm saying the devils should make a statement. No, they should expose him because either Seattle doesn't take him because of his price which means we have an extra player we can protect or they take him and it makes no difference to our play and we save the money for a cheaper defenseman who provides the same thing.

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.  I think you underestimate how difficult it is for the New Jersey Devils to pull a top pairing defenseman out of the UFA pool on July 1st.  Especially after this abortion of a season.  But at least we'll hang onto Will "16GP" Butcher.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

We should be prepared to overpay multiple guys next year, that’s going to be what we need to recover this team. 

This, pretty much. The team needs some vets to be the bedrock of the team and guide the kids through their growing pains over the next two or three seasons. And, imo, not on one year contracts where they get traded come the trade deadline.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think it's stretch to say PK is a "face of the NHL type player" at this point maybe back in MTL that was certainly true.  I think that ship sailed a long long time ago. The fact that he holds such a key slot on this teams roster speaks volumes about just how paper thin they are on defense and how much of a possible benefit his bloated salary is towards hitting the mandatory floor. If he continues to hold down those slots going forward past next season it's a sign we're still in the same toilet we've been in for many years now.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

Seattle very likely takes him. He's still a "face of the NHL" type player. 

The Devils shouldn't expose him because he's one of the best defenseman on the team and, with a similarly strong 2022 campaign, he could be a valuable trade piece at the deadline should the Devils find themselves out of playoff position.

You asked another member to stop rambling; so I'll ask you to stop being vague: who is this "cheaper defenseman who provides the same thing"? Who is this exciting young Devils defenseman they need to protect? And, while you're furiously googling an answer to that, google the phrase "NHL Salary Cap Floor". 

I would add to that, you have to maintain SOME kind of veteran presence. He certainly is that. 

It’s one more year and you know we are spending that $9m on fvck else if he were gone. I’d rather keep him and trade him at the deadline next year. 
 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, vadvlfan said:

Ryan Murray has really impressed me lately, and is probably a good vet to have in the room. I wondering if Fitz will try to resign him?

I sure hope so.  I know he's buddy buddy with Sevo too.  I think they grew up on adjacent (exaggerating) farms.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, MB3 said:

he was on the cover of a video game the year we traded for him, and he’s on nearly every nhl-sponsored commercial. 

he’s not that caliber player anymore, but he’s still one of those “faces” they promote. 

+ He has 1 mil subscribers on his Instagram. Only Ovechkin has more. Even Mcdavid has less now, because all those nerdy, proper hockey characters with "right words" are loved only by boring Canadians with split heads.

Edited by Guadana
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Guadana said:

+ He has 1 mil subscribers on his Instagram. Only Ovechkin has more. Even Mcdavid has less now, because all those nerdy, proper hockey characters with "right words" are loved only by boring Canadians with split heads.

Comedy Central Crying GIF by South Park

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Guadana said:

+ He has 1 mil subscribers on his Instagram. Only Ovechkin has more. Even Mcdavid has less now, because all those nerdy, proper hockey characters with "right words" are loved only by boring Canadians with split heads.

Well that's part of the problem. At some point Subban started putting the focus on himself/his brand and chasing the spotlight as a celebrity and not as much on hockey.

Remember Gordon Bombay in Mighty Ducks 2 ? Or Ronda Rousey when she started being more into movies and magazine photoshoots?

Succesful and "Boring" canadian players tend to put all their focus on hockey and don't care about the spotlight as much

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's part of the problem. At some point Subban started putting the focus on himself/his brand and chasing the spotlight as a celebrity and not as much on hockey.

Remember Gordon Bombay in Mighty Ducks 2 ? Or Ronda Rousey when she started being more into movies and magazine photoshoots?

Succesful and "Boring" canadian players tend to put all their focus on hockey and don't care about the spotlight as much

Was Ronda ever really that good, or was she just someone who was ahead of her time and could rely on stringing until the sport caught up?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Was Ronda ever really that good, or was she just someone who was ahead of her time and could rely on stringing until the sport caught up?

well i mean she was named best female athlete ever' in 2015. I doubt it was a fluke

And i feel its pretty established that she took a step back and didnt prepare as good as she could have

Quote

When she came into being as a fighter in the UFC MMA was still a relatively young sport and still is today really as compared to many other sports. Womens’ fighting was even less in many ways in it and she was an Olympic caliber judoka who knew what it was to train and compete at a high level who had some really good related skills from that for fighting in the UFC.

However she did not stick to the task at hand and allowed herself to take a step back from training and developing her skills further in some other areas that she needed to develop. She instead went off being in a couple of movies, doing commercials and endorsements and not much in the way of training and fighting while the competition was still in the gym training and developing to an ever higher level. That and the UFC literally protected her from the one female fighter that would have destroyed her and who was on a whole higher level than Rousey and that was Cyborg.

It all eventually caught up with her is what happened with female fighters gaining more experience, better training and coaching, and more fights under their belts while she basically sat out two years of not fighting any of them nor training to fight them. Then when she did get re-engaged with fighting and training for fighting again the competition had surpassed her.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Back to the discussion though, I truly wonder if the team approached PK about being the face of the Kraken, how tough it would be of a sell for him. I know he doesn’t have a NTC or NMC but still

i think it would be a good move for the Kraken kind of like Vegas did with Fleury. They got someone with experience who was well known in the league. Subban will always be in the spotlight and that's something a new team who will need to get new fans and establishing themselves would want.

As for him i'm 100% sure he'd embrace it.

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's part of the problem. At some point Subban started putting the focus on himself/his brand and chasing the spotlight as a celebrity and not as much on hockey.

Remember Gordon Bombay in Mighty Ducks 2 ? Or Ronda Rousey when she started being more into movies and magazine photoshoots?

Succesful and "Boring" canadian players tend to put all their focus on hockey and don't care about the spotlight as much

Bored GIF
 This narrative doesnt work this season. I think this narrative didnt work before throughout his career. Subban is one of the hardest workers on and off the ice. I hope he will annoy you in our line-up for another two or three years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's part of the problem. At some point Subban started putting the focus on himself/his brand and chasing the spotlight as a celebrity and not as much on hockey.

Remember Gordon Bombay in Mighty Ducks 2 ? Or Ronda Rousey when she started being more into movies and magazine photoshoots?

Succesful and "Boring" canadian players tend to put all their focus on hockey and don't care about the spotlight as much

Having a social media presence doesn't mean he isn't focused on hockey. There's no doubt that he's lost a step and tries to do things his body can't do anymore at times but that doesn't mean he isn't focused. He's still playing the big minutes and special teams, and even though we were told he was such a terrible locker room cancer he seems to be a big part of the team behind the scenes from what we see

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Guadana said:

Bored GIF
 This narrative doesnt work this season. I think this narrative didnt work before throughout his career. Subban is one of the hardest workers on and off the ice. I hope he will annoy you in our line-up for another two or three years.

Dude do you have any idea how many players, coaches and people who were involved with him in MTL do confirm that narrative? Called him out on it god knows how many times? Like... it's all right there, word for word. I don't understand people like you keep denying it constantly.

Posting videos of "working hard at the gym" doesn't make you a better hockey player. Thats something else players around the league are mocking him for. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, EdgeControl said:

For those of you pushing to get rid of PK, who are you replacing him with ? And if we only replace him how are we better

FA 2021 is depressingly thin

Agreed.  I was never a huge PK fan but at this point he’s quieted down his game and eats the hard minutes.   No reason to unload him this summer and if he’s realistic about price and term on a new deal, I would be fine with us extending him.   

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

57 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Dude do you have any idea how many players, coaches and people who were involved with him in MTL do confirm that narrative? Called him out on it god knows how many times? Like... it's all right there, word for word. I don't understand people like you keep denying it constantly.

Posting videos of "working hard at the gym" doesn't make you a better hockey player. Thats something else players around the league are mocking him for. 

First of all - fvck Montreal. All of them. If they think subban make them worse, they can’t count to one. Subban - One SCF, Montreal - zero.
2) fvck gallagher
3) Subban is in best or in one of the best form from devils players. His physic form or something else, I don’t know, make him best or second best defenseman of this season, and he can play a lot of minutes and play solid. Not like Severson.

everything you stay with is your hate only. Don’t like jokes? close your Instagram. 

and after everything you said, try to think where is a true. Do you think hard work in gym doesn’t makes a better hockey player, and jokes and social media makes worse hockey player? Seriously? Man, cmon. it's not scary to admit your mistakes, you didn't poison anyone.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

Agreed.  I was never a huge PK fan but at this point he’s quieted down his game and eats the hard minutes.   No reason to unload him this summer and if he’s realistic about price and term on a new deal, I would be fine with us extending him.   

His defensive talent is still top notch, plays against speed well and a vacuum on the boards, strong under heavy forechecking. So he has the occasional mind cramp.. Extend him. He and kuli were strong.. Nobody in our system is better defensively and neither is Larsson.. Although id think about adding adam ...still waiting for people to answer the question, who then???

Edited by EdgeControl
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

PK is obviously a piece of garbage. Like how he “provided lunch for the entire ICU staff at an Ottawa hospital” today while recovering from COVID himself. What a loser, I bet he didn’t even send dessert. 

 

Edited by mfitz804
  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

PK is obviously a piece of garbage. Like how he “provided lunch for the entire ICU staff at an Ottawa hospital” today while recovering from COVID himself. What a loser, I bet he didn’t even send dessert. 

 

Not gonna lie, looking at your post if the tweet on my phone, for a split second I thought he delivered MREs

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.