Reilly Walsh signed to three year ELC

Devilsfan118

35 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Between him, Smith, Bahl and a couple of others, we might have some pieces on defense in a few years

Man I hope so...

...of course, I remember having similar hope about Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Santini.  

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man I hope so...

...of course, I remember having similar hope about Severson, Merrill, Gelinas, and Santini.  

I am forever scarred by my getting excited for those guys (Larrsson and to a lesser extent Urbom were in that group too). There was a time (a short oh so very short time) there where I thought we'd be set at D for a decade. So I will echo the sentiment that I won't get excited about Walsh until he puts up points in the NHL. Still better to have him on board than lose him for nothing. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Steadevils said:

I am forever scarred by my getting excited for those guys (Larrsson and to a lesser extent Urbom were in that group too). There was a time (a short oh so very short time) there where I thought we'd be set at D for a decade. So I will echo the sentiment that I won't get excited about Walsh until he puts up points in the NHL. Still better to have him on board than lose him for nothing. 

Oh I agree, I'm definitely not trying to imply that I've given up on anyone before they've even gotten a legit look, or assume that we're screwed just because.  I'm going to be hopeful with this latest crop of young D because I'd much rather be that.  But yeah, being excited for the guys that I mentioned is still a painful memory.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man I hope so...

50% solid NHL rate - i'll take it.

And I'd argue Santini might have been something if he wasn't used improperly and on a terrible team.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Man I hope so...

You need to get a selective memory, my friend lol.

What's Walsh's status? When is he anticipated to be NHL ready?

Edited by mfitz804

11 minutes ago, sundstrom said:

50% solid NHL rate - i'll take it.

And I'd argue Santini might have been something if he wasn't used improperly and on a terrible team.

Merrill has trouble staying on the ice...that hurts him a bit (never played more than 66 games in any given season).  But I guess it's fair to say that when he's healthy, he's about what he should've been.  I haven't really tracked him since he went to the Golden Knights, so I'm not sure what injuries have kept him out of the lineup.  

I remember Tri being very bullish on Severson early on...felt that he was going to become a star.  Yeah, he's an NHLer, and there's a part of me that would like to see what he'd do with different coaching, on a better team.  I know in the past his metrics have been kinder to him than the actual results (he makes me crazy sometimes), but it's not like the Devils have had great goaltending for much of his time here.  

1 hour ago, T0asterleav1ns said:

Mea culpa time.

I was 95% sure we were going to lose Walsh to FA and did not want to draft any more Harvard players. Obviously I was wrong. 

Good job Fitz.

100% was with you there. Harvard guys using the "wait until we're UFAs" was becoming a trend I don't like. Glad we didnt get burned.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, T0asterleav1ns said:

Mea culpa time.

I was 95% sure we were going to lose Walsh to FA and did not want to draft any more Harvard players. Obviously I was wrong. 

Good job Fitz.

In all fairness, I think Covid accelerated his decision. College Hawkey isn't starting till January. We're hoping he'll be a decent addition, but we'll know in a relatively short period of time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, vadvlfan said:

In all fairness, I think Covid accelerated his decision. College Hawkey isn't starting till January. We're hoping he'll be a decent addition, but we'll know in a relatively short period of time.

This is very true.  Without COVID shutting down Harvard hockey and likely all college sports until 2021, Walsh goes back for his senior season and is probably a 50/50 bet to sign his ELC with the Devils.  I'm sure his contract with the Devils will include a provision providing money for him to return to Harvard to complete his degree in the offseason.  Hell, with the online classes Harvard will be offering students in the fall semester coupled with the fact that there is no way the NHL/AHL seasons start before December, he likely will be able to continue his schooling and graduate on time in the spring of 2021. 

• Like 1