Survey - A Devils Fans Retrospect/Exploring Alternate Realities

RunninWithTheDevil

Hey all, hope we're all hanging in there through this plague. I think the playoffs have definitely helped my sanity. Fortunately, through all this pandemic, I'm lucky enough to be celebrating my 30th birthday this Sunday. Turning 30 is a pretty big mental milestone for most I'm sure, and it's got me thinking about the years I've lived through leading up to today.  I got to thinking about just how lucky I was to be conceived in 89, born in 90, and able to have a childhood rooting for a team that became an absolute dynasty before my eyes.  I was fvcking SPOILED by this team (which is probably what have made the last 15-or-so years tough to watch), and I know a lot of the younger guys on here feel the same. 

All that being said, as I thought about the teams past 30 years, I thought I'd offer a few quandry's for you folks. I also think it would be fun to speculate on what the ripple/butterfly effect would've been had the result been different. It's going to be super odd and open for interpretation but let's try this anyway:

Question 1: If you could change the outcome of only ONE SINGLE GAME in Devil's history, which would it be and why?  

Question 2: You're offered a time machine to go back and stop ONE SINGLE bad trade/signing from happening, but the cost is you have to completely erase the career of star who performed well in their tenure here (Niedermeyer, Parise, Hall, Brodeur i.e.). What trade/pick do you stop? And which Devils star do you erase? (The term 'star' is obviously up for interpretation here)

Question 3: Think of your personal list of most hated players of all time. Now you get to go back in time and pick one to play on the Devils during their era. Who do you pick and why?

Question 4:  if there was one game/event/moment you could go back and witness in person again, what would it be?

Question 5: We have retired 5 sweaters in our teams history. Surprise, time machine scenario again but this time Dr. Who is a dick: If you were forced to erase the careers of 3 of these players, who are you picking and why? 

Some tough and oddly framed questions 

• Like 1

1. Game 7 2001

2. Schneider trade. The 2nd half is a weird question/loosely defined - but like Pat Verbeek.

3. Eric Lindros. Great player that was always in a really fvcking weird situation in Philly - I heard he was a good dude.

4. The obvious would be the Cup wins/final, but aside from that: Reg Season: Kovy's first game comes to mind (that come back), and Game 6 against Philly in 2000.  

5. Haha I hate this question, so I no answer!

First of all, you are a maniac for asking these questions, and I love it.

Question 1: Game 7 of the 2001 Finals. Reason is obvious. 

Question 2: Position #1 is I would decline the offer. If I were forced to do it, I agree, Schneider trade, and I would give up Kirk Muller. 

Question 3: Tie Domi. The guy was entertaining as fvck and he wouldn't be able to hurt our players. Definitely a guy you hate, but when he's on your team, he's fun.

Question 4: November 30, 2013. Devils vs. Buffalo, the first game that I took my daughter to. I thought she was going to hate it, but she absolutely loved it and it started a whole dad/daughter bonding thing that we still have going on. Game went to overtime, she and my wife went to the bathroom at the start of OT. They were stuck at the top because play had started when Travis Zajac scores the game winner, and the place goes nuts. My daughter runs down the stairs, goes into the row above where we were sitting and leaps over the row into my arms to celebrate. cannot beat a moment like that. Just recently I was able to but an unused full color season ticket from the game, which I put in a lucite holder and have on display in my office with some other Devils knick knacks. this was the easiest of the questions to answer. 

Question 5: Not good. Just not good. Ken Daneyko has to go, love the guy, but sorry. Marty is untouchable. So it comes down to Stevens, Needs, or Patty and I have to eliminate two?? I will go with the idea that "defense wins championships", and I will keep Scott Stevens and sent Patty and Nieds packing. Not an easy decision at all, and I hate you for making me do it. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Question 1: '94 ECF game 7, all those friggin "ping"'s off the bars put them in and us out, We woulda had another cup after crushing the 'Nucks! .....   But even if we didn't, fvck MESSIER and his "guarentee"!!!!!!!!!!

I aint answering the rest of them awful questions!! I just want to do this ONE thing!

B/C

fvck the Rags, and fvck Messier!

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Ah just answer the 5th question ya babies 😂😂😂

Seriously, if you're gonna play, just answer it!!

28 minutes ago, Masked Fan said:

Question 1: '94 ECF game 7, all those friggin "ping"'s off the bars put them in and us out, We woulda had another cup after crushing the 'Nucks! .....   But even if we didn't, fvck MESSIER and his "guarentee"!!!!!!!!!!

That is a good one. I might have to change my answer, because that might have been better than winning a Cup in 2001 lol. 

• Like 1

Question 1: Yeah 2001 Cup Finals. Hands down. It's still hunting me.

Question 2: I'd stop the Schneider trade and erase Doug Gilmour (i know i'm bending the rules... but he was indeed a star)

Question 3: Matthew Tkachuk. Cause we need help now more than at any other time in our history, and he's very young and talented.

Question 4: Arnott's cup clinching goal in 2000.

Question 5: Ken Daneyko, Trent Hunter and David Clarkson.....

Question 1: Ofcourse game seven in 2001 cup final. That was my f#cking first playoff game "online".

Question 2: I'd would stop the Kovy trade in any day any time, i don`t wan it those days, i talk every day that will end as bad as could. Can i erase him too?

Question 3: Sean Avery. Love and hate this guy at the same time. I'd like to see how he does his stuff under the Queen's skirt.

Question 4:  =-(

Question 5: Can`t erase Patty, Stevens and Daneyko because they were all stay. Nieds and Marty had a bitter end.

Question 1: I'd actually set Game 6 of the 1994 conference finals. That game 7 should never have happened. Beating them on our ice in 6 would have been beautiful 

2: I guess Schneider is the popular opinion. But on a much smaller scale, I always hated the trade when Jimmy Dowd got traded for Claude's brother Jocelyn back in the 90's. Its probably because I was a teenager and jersey boy Dowds goal in the 1995 finals was such a cool story 
Oh and Kovy.  Seriously. That guy cost us what we traded plus the stupid Matteau pick, plus I'm sure Parise had a better chance of staying if we hadn't paid Kovy 

3 Lindros. Dude was a monster before the concussions 

4) Game 6 against the Rags in 2012 was also amazing and I'd love to live it again. What a night. Of games I didn't experience in person, I would say 1995 cup win or I think it was game 2 in the 2000 finals when we put up 7 on Belfour. That must have been fun

5) ugh. Gotta keep Marty and Stevens i guess

1. 2001 game 7 vs Avs (wasn’t following the Devils in 94)

2. Cory trade. We might have landed McDavid or Matthews without him. Erasing a career would be between Parise or Hall. Guess I’d go Hall. The MVP year was awesome but the Cup run with Parise was obviously even better. 

3. Adam Foote. Never quite hated him on the same level as an Avery or Domi, but I strongly disliked him. Not only because he was so good, but I also found his face extremely punchable. Thankfully Nolan didn’t get that gene. 

4. 03 Cup clincher in NJ. I’ve never even been to an NHL playoff game, let alone one like that. 

5. This is an awful question you absolute beast! But if I have to answer it...Dano, Nieds, Elias. I’d never be able to live with myself if I typed Marty or Stevens. And I think the chances of winning at least one Cup with those two would have probably been the greatest. 

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Now I will propose Question #6: Bowing to the cancel culture and political correctness, the team decides that the "Devils" is anti-religion and the name has to be changed. What are we changing the team name to?

Something similar to Kraken or Wild. :P

7 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Hey all, hope we're all hanging in there through this plague. I think the playoffs have definitely helped my sanity. Fortunately, through all this pandemic, I'm lucky enough to be celebrating my 30th birthday this Sunday. Turning 30 is a pretty big mental milestone for most I'm sure, and it's got me thinking about the years I've lived through leading up to today.  I got to thinking about just how lucky I was to be conceived in 89, born in 90, and able to have a childhood rooting for a team that became an absolute dynasty before my eyes.  I was fvcking SPOILED by this team (which is probably what have made the last 15-or-so years tough to watch), and I know a lot of the younger guys on here feel the same. 

All that being said, as I thought about the teams past 30 years, I thought I'd offer a few quandry's for you folks. I also think it would be fun to speculate on what the ripple/butterfly effect would've been had the result been different. It's going to be super odd and open for interpretation but let's try this anyway:

Question 1: If you could change the outcome of only ONE SINGLE GAME in Devil's history, which would it be and why?  

Question 2: You're offered a time machine to go back and stop ONE SINGLE bad trade/signing from happening, but the cost is you have to completely erase the career of star who performed well in their tenure here (Niedermeyer, Parise, Hall, Brodeur i.e.). What trade/pick do you stop? And which Devils star do you erase? (The term 'star' is obviously up for interpretation here)

Question 3: Think of your personal list of most hated players of all time. Now you get to go back in time and pick one to play on the Devils during their era. Who do you pick and why?

Question 4:  if there was one game/event/moment you could go back and witness in person again, what would it be?

Question 5: We have retired 5 sweaters in our teams history. Surprise, time machine scenario again but this time Dr. Who is a dick: If you were forced to erase the careers of 3 of these players, who are you picking and why? 

1. Game 6 of the 2001 Finals. We win game 6, there is no game 7.                           2. The Schneider trade. In hindsight, it’s been a disaster. And I erase Hall. He wasn’t here very long. The other stars we’ve had over the years (including Kovalchuk, who I hate) contributed to more team success than Hall.                       3. Dino Ciccarelli. The prototypical ‘love him on your team, hate him on every other team’ player. Ciccarelli and Claude Lemieux on the same team? fvck yeah. Copious amounts of annoyance for the opposition.                                                              4. Game 7 2003. Saw the Cup raised with my mom, after attending games together since I was 6 years old. One of the most special nights of my life.                                     5. I’m not answering this one because it’s batsh!t insane lol. 

Good thread.

1. As others have said the 2001 game 7 , not only do we get a cup but it probably ends the debate on Marty Vs Roy. 

2. Have to agree with others in the Cory trade, I was all over that at the time, I wanted Cory on the team as Marty's heir for a long , long time. But actually in hindsight the team was on the decline. We should have actually been looking to get future pieces at that stage , it wasn't the start of another long spell of success it was just a team that got hot at the right time. Lou misread the situation. Based on that I would get rid of Kovy , because that whole situation lead to so much turmoil in the organisation it probably set us back a decade. 

3. Probably Chris Pronger. I really didn't like the guy on the Ducks, I think if we had him at his peak we have at least one more cup.

4. Any cup win, I mean for me literally anything. I have seen two devil's games in person. I am not fussy. 

5. Marty and Stevens. That sucked. 

On 8/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Q1: Game 6 of 2001 scf. One win away from celebrating the cup on home ice and the entire team sh!t the bed in a dreadful performance.

Q2: I’d delete the trades for all the Devil retreads Lou pulled in his time. Partly desecrated the legacies of some great Devils. Scott Gomez shouldn’t have even been brought since he was  a traitor.  I’d erase Gilmour because he was a star but his term here didn’t really add anything invaluable to memorialize.

Q3: Mark Messier’s tears so we could put them in the team’s trophy case in a nice vile.

Q4: Wish I went to Henrique it’s over

Q5: These questions written by a Rangers fan? Which Devils legend do you want to erase the memory of?? Gtfo cmon...

Edited by devlman

On 8/12/2020 at 2:53 PM, mfitz804 said:

Now I will propose Question #6: Bowing to the cancel culture and political correctness, the team decides that the "Devils" is anti-religion and the name has to be changed. What are we changing the team name to?

This is a great question. I wonder. 

New Jersey Bulldogs (newark bulldogs) - kinda minor league 

Revolutionary War names, things to do with music (Something unique from a Bruce tune maybe), somewhere in there is interesting. 

New Jersey Continentals, - with a Gold-Blue colors maybe or the New Jersey Colonials - I believe those were name options back then.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

This is a great question. I wonder. 

New Jersey Bulldogs (newark bulldogs) - kinda minor league 

Revolutionary War names, things to do with music (Something unique from a Bruce tune maybe), somewhere in there is interesting. 

New Jersey Continentals, - with a Gold-Blue colors maybe or the New Jersey Colonials - I believe those were name options back then.

I’m sure anything Revolutionary is not allowed anymore. 

1 minute ago, devlman said:

Which eye would you like to gouge out if you had to gouge out one?!

The left one, obviously. My vision is better in my right eye and the left one gets itchier from seasonal allergies for some reason. Plus I’m right handed so there’s more happening on my right side.