Survey - A Devils Fans Retrospect/Exploring Alternate Realities

RunninWithTheDevil

#1 2001 game 6. The team just did not show up. Very disappointing. I guess they were exhausted.

#2 Either the Schneider or the Kovulchuk deals.

#3 Domi. No doubt. I would have no respect for my team if a player did to an opponent what he did to Scott.

#4 ?

#5 Maybe Dano. A purely sentimental decision. The rest? Are you kidding me?

5 minutes ago, point said:

#3 Domi. No doubt. I would have no respect for my team if a player did to an opponent what he did to Scott.

But the question was which hated player would you have wanted on the Devils...

That’s why I went with Foote. Guy was a huge pain for opposing players to play against, and had the punchable face, but he wasn’t a clown or a cheap shot artist. 

• Like 1

Just now, Nicomo said:

image.gif.5695ec2db46b19f574f4a5c743531469.gif

Obvious sign of someone who can’t handle someone disagreeing with their point of view. His “10-15% of Revolutionaries were black” was the functional equivalent of “some of my best friends are black”. It doesn’t change the fact that in today’s environment, it’s socially unacceptable to celebrate that time period. 

But that’s fine, everyone has opinions. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

But the question was which hated player would you have wanted on the Devils...

That’s why I went with Foote. Guy was a huge pain for opposing players to play against, and had the punchable face, but he wasn’t a clown or a cheap shot artist. 

Right, that’s why I’m reconsidering him as a choice. 

As far as the team name is concerned, I would have liked Jersey Blues, referring to pre Revolutionary war regiment, but that was already taken. Considering New Jersey's part in technological innovation, ie recorded sound, radio, communication advances, transistors, identifying the big bang, hell, even duct tape, antibiotics, polio vaccine, oh, just shut me up. How about the New Jersey Makers? That might unite the West Jersey crowd, you know, Trenton makes, the world takes.

1 minute ago, point said:

As far as the team name is concerned, I would have liked Jersey Blues, referring to pre Revolutionary war regiment, but that was already taken. Considering New Jersey's part in technological innovation, ie recorded sound, radio, communication advances, transistors, identifying the big bang, hell, even duct tape, antibiotics, polio vaccine, oh, just shut me up. How about the New Jersey Makers? That might unite the West Jersey crowd, you know, Trenton makes, the world takes.

Wait there’s a WEST Jersey too??

;) 

35 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Obvious sign of someone who can’t handle someone disagreeing with their point of view. His “10-15% of Revolutionaries were black” was the functional equivalent of “some of my best friends are black”. It doesn’t change the fact that in today’s environment, it’s socially unacceptable to celebrate that time period. 

But that’s fine, everyone has opinions. 

Nah Go fvck yourself. You've been condescending, and the analogy above is equally as stupid. I'm pretty fvcking liberal and have a sh!t ton of experience in thsi ways you have no idea of - even then - I can see that it's not socially unacceptable to celebrate that time period...I mean, I don't know - the BIGGEST media event of the summer was Hamilton - which is like pretty acceptable. So you're telling me if a team decided to base a name change and uniform celebrating the African Americans of the Revolution that would be unacceptable? GTFO - it would be heralded. 

Everyone has opinions, don't be a douchebag "Oh He HAs nO IDeA wHAt HeS TalKIng ABouT

Edited by HellOnICE
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

Nah Go fvck yourself. You've been condescending, and the analogy above is equally as stupid. I'm pretty fvcking liberal and have a sh!t ton of experience in thsi ways you have no idea of - even then - I can see that it's not socially unacceptable to celebrate that time period...I mean, I don't know - the BIGGEST media event of the summer was Hamilton - which is like pretty acceptable. So you're telling me if a team decided to base a name change and uniform celebrating the African American regiments of the Revolution that would be unacceptable? GTFO - it would be heralded. 

Everyone has opinions, don't be a douchebag "Oh He HAs nO IDeA wHAt HeS TalKIng ABouT

You’re funny. 

You can be as liberal as you like, we are sitting here in 2020 where almost everything is subject to additional scrutiny that You and all of your experience don’t seem to have a clue about. 

There was significant discussion this summer about whether Hamilton would even be accepted if it was first coming out in today’s environment. Because of the exact reasons I mentioned. And that was a rap musical featuring a cast nearly entirely of color. It’s also at least partially a work of fiction which leaves out the fact that Hamilton bought and sold slaves for the the Schuyler family and instead depicts him as someone who opposed slavery, which didn’t happen until much later. 

If a hockey team decided to name itself after an African American regiment (which there were very few of during the Revolutionary War anyway), that would likely be criticized, since the sport, at the NHL level anyway, is played by like 99% white people. 

I’ll agree with part of what you said. You can go fvck yourself too. 

Edited by mfitz804

Oh man these are some tough questions.

On 8/12/2020 at 1:55 PM, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Question 1: If you could change the outcome of only ONE SINGLE GAME in Devil's history, which would it be and why?  

Question 2: You're offered a time machine to go back and stop ONE SINGLE bad trade/signing from happening, but the cost is you have to completely erase the career of star who performed well in their tenure here (Niedermeyer, Parise, Hall, Brodeur i.e.). What trade/pick do you stop? And which Devils star do you erase? (The term 'star' is obviously up for interpretation here)

Question 3: Think of your personal list of most hated players of all time. Now you get to go back in time and pick one to play on the Devils during their era. Who do you pick and why?

Question 4:  if there was one game/event/moment you could go back and witness in person again, what would it be?

Question 5: We have retired 5 sweaters in our teams history. Surprise, time machine scenario again but this time Dr. Who is a dick: If you were forced to erase the careers of 3 of these players, who are you picking and why? 

1) Game 6/7 in 2001 are obvious go-tos.  But besides that, I'm going game 7 in '09 versus the Hurricanes.  That was a legit heartbreaker, and I can still picture clearly how devastated I was.  Freshman year at Rutgers, freaked my roommate out a bit when I chucked the remote against the wall.  Girlfriend at the time had never seen me so upset. 

2) Can I do Kovalchuk/Kovalchuk?  Some of his goals are my favorite highlights from the '12 run (and that run probably doesn't happen without him here) but the fallout of acquiring him just.. ruins it.  I'd wipe that entire mini-saga from Devils history if I could.

3) Sean Avery for the lolz.. no but seriously, I'd go with Lindros for reasons that I probably don't need to explain.

4) My first hockey game ever with my Mom and Dad when I was a kid.  Simpler times.

5) Woof this is a nasty question, you monster.  I guess.. from an angle of who were the best players.. gotta start with Daneyko, then Elias (pains me), and then.. woof.  If I say Marty, then I'm giving credence to the whole "only good because of the system" nonsense.  I'll say Neids, because he left us for a few years at the end there when he still had a couple good years left.  But then again he was a major part of the franchise for so long.. I guess it's a toss up between #27 and #30 for me.  Not touching the captain here.

Dude #5 is a brutal question, what's wrong with you? :lol: 

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

1) Game 7, '94. No more Matteau, no more Messier being attributed to that guarantee, nor his "goal" (NOONAN GOT IT, YOU BALD BITCH)

2) Rolston 2.0, erease Beezer for all I care. (US HHoF counts as a start in my book)

3) Give me Ray Borque and we wouldn't ever have to trade him and we win '01 and maybe we win more cups. God fiction can be fun.

4) Game 7, EFC , 2012. Think that year was the closest me and my sister have ever been and for happy reasons.

5) Keep Stevens and Marty. Everyone knows I don't like Dano, Neids was amazing but idk. and Elias was the hardest for me to let go of. Final cast off.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 1