New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

7 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

I vaguely remember people thinking Victor Hedman was a bust because he start slow too. It took him 3-4 seasons to hit his stride.

I’m not talking about Ty being a superstar this year, nor am I saying he is a bust. I’m just talking about him making the team. It’s a pretty low bar given his competition and the fact that he was in the mix to make the team 2 years in a row already. 

I’m fine with him taking time to develop. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m not talking about Ty being a superstar this year, nor am I saying he is a bust. I’m just talking about him making the team. It’s a pretty low bar given his competition and the fact that he was in the mix to make the team 2 years in a row already. 

I’m fine with him taking time to develop. 

Glad Ty doesn’t get the mfitz Jack Hughes/Pavel Zacha treatment...

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hell, how old was Rafalski by the time he made it to the NHL?

You’re comparing a first round pick to a guy who went undrafted and had to play in Europe. It’s not really the same.

But again, I think Ty should be able to make the team based on our near complete lack of serviceable defensemen and the fact that he has almost made the team twice. 

He is still quite young and it doesn’t mean he’s done if he doesn’t make it. In fact, he probably could benefit from a year in the AHL so perhaps I was hasty. 

7 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Glad Ty doesn’t get the mfitz Jack Hughes/Pavel Zacha treatment...

First of all, I haven’t gotten on Jack’s case at all. All I’ve said is he has a sh!tty season, which he did, and that he hasn’t proven anything, which he hasn’t, and I hope he does. I’ve gotten on your case for thinking that his elite skating proves something and for your general love affair that you are having with him (as a player, obviously). 

Zacha has been a sh!t player for a few years,  he’s finally now getting to the point where he’s just a regular disappointment in that he might be a good lower 6 guy as a 6th overall pick rather than a huge disappointment. 

Ty hasn’t played, so again, it’s not a good comparison. 

Edited by mfitz804

Hell even Mackinnon took like 5 seasons to REALLY get going. Many people were calling him a bust too.

63pts in his rookie season.. but then 38, 52 and 53.... only in his 5th season he exploded and went over 90 for 3 seasons in a row and now some are saying he's the best player in the world.

So basically... Nico's rookie season was on par or better than Mackinnon 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. 

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

You’re comparing a first round pick to a guy who went undrafted and had to play in Europe. It’s not really the same.

But again, I think Ty should be able to make the team based on our near complete lack of serviceable defensemen and the fact that he has almost made the team twice. 

He is still quite young and it doesn’t mean he’s done if he doesn’t make it. In fact, he probably could benefit from a year in the AHL so perhaps I was hasty. 

First of all, I haven’t gotten on Jack’s case at all. All I’ve said is he has a sh!tty season, which he did, and that he hasn’t proven anything, which he hasn’t, and I hope he does. I’ve gotten on your case for thinking that his elite skating proves something and for your general love affair that you are having with him (as a player, obviously). 

Zacha has been a sh!t player for a few years,  he’s finally now getting to the point where he’s just a regular disappointment in that he might be a good lower 6 guy as a 6th overall pick rather than a huge disappointment. 

Ty hasn’t played, so again, it’s not a good comparison. 

I never said Hughes skating “proves something.” I used him as an example when discussing another draft pick’s skating saying it’s not on the same level. That was literally it. 

And my “love affair?” Seriously? Lol. He’s not even my favorite player on the team, I just find myself defending him against all the ridiculous bust talk, and people like you who can’t seem to acknowledge any positives when discussing his game. It’s always black and white and he either sucks or he doesn’t with some people. 

1 minute ago, SterioDesign said:

Hell even Mackinnon took like 5 seasons to REALLY get going. Many people were calling him a bust too.

63pts in his rookie season.. but then 38, 52 and 53.... only in his 5th season he exploded and went over 90 for 3 seasons in a row and now some are saying he's the best player in the world.

So basically... Nico's rookie season was on par or better than Mackinnon 2nd, 3rd and 4th seasons. 

Yep. And now he’s a top 5 player in the league. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

I never said Hughes skating “proves something.” I used him as an example when discussing another draft pick’s skating saying it’s not on the same level. That was literally it. 

And my “love affair?” Seriously? Lol. He’s not even my favorite player on the team, I just find myself defending him against all the ridiculous bust talk, and people like you who can’t seem to acknowledge any positives when discussing his game. It’s always black and white and he either sucks or he doesn’t with some people. 

Yeah, your love affair. You defend him like you are in love with him. 

In fairness, “love affair” was a redraft, the original version was “you enjoy gently cradling his balls” but I thought that crossed a line lol. 

I’ve never called Jack a bust. I’ve talked about how he performed. I haven’t checked the stats but I believe he had the worst rookie season for a #1 OA since Patrick Stefan. I don’t see why it’s not fair to say that. I’m only talking about what happened, not giving an opinion on what WILL happen. 

15 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

In fairness, “love affair” was a redraft, the original version was “you enjoy gently cradling his balls” but I thought that crossed a line lol. 

I’ve never called Jack a bust. I’ve talked about how he performed. I haven’t checked the stats but I believe he had the worst rookie season for a #1 OA since Patrick Stefan. I don’t see why it’s not fair to say that. I’m only talking about what happened, not giving an opinion on what WILL happen. 

You know you don’t have much to say when you have to resort to childish insults...

And ofc it’s “fair” to point out his historically bad rookie season as a #1OA. Although maybe after the 500th time it gets a little redundant. It’s also fair to point out how good some areas of his game already are (like his skating), or how bad his puck luck was, or how his teammates did him no favors with their lack of finish, etc. But  apparently trying to be have a fair and rational outlook on him = “cradling his balls” 

Did I insult you? I don’t think I did. Are you that sensitive? 

The only thing I said about him is that he sucked this year and that I hope he improves. You act like I have some sort of agenda against him, which I pretty obviously don’t. But yet you repeatedly bring it up like I do. Even comparing it to my agenda with Zacha, which anyone who pays attention would realize is nowhere near the same way I talk about Hughes. 

So yes, going off on your rants when I have not said anything bad about his future and your continuing to defend him, pretending that I have qualifies as ball-cradling in my book. 

Just now, mfitz804 said:

Did I insult you? I don’t think I did. Are you that sensitive? 

The only thing I said about him is that he sucked this year and that I hope he improves. You act like I have some sort of agenda against him, which I pretty obviously don’t. But yet you repeatedly bring it up like I do. Even comparing it to my agenda with Zacha, which anyone who pays attention would realize is nowhere near the same way I talk about Hughes. 

So yes, going off on your rants when I have not said anything bad about his future and your continuing to defend him, pretending that I have qualifies as ball-cradling in my book. 

Well, I was just poking you a bit with my original comment about Ty. I think you’re the one who took i it personally. The “love affair” comment was pretty unnecessary. 

But I will absolutely defend an 18 kid who played on a terrible team. Idc where he was drafted. If he hasn’t significantly improved by the time he’s out of his teens I will defend him less and less. 

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

Well, I was just poking you a bit with my original comment about Ty. I think you’re the one who took i it personally. The “love affair” comment was pretty unnecessary. 

But I will absolutely defend an 18 kid who played on a terrible team. Idc where he was drafted. If he hasn’t significantly improved by the time he’s out of his teens I will defend him less and less. 

I know you were poking me, the difference is, I don’t mind when you do it to me. i have to remember that you’re not really receptive to that kind of stuff being returned. 

You are 100% right about Jack. I’ve never disagreed. All I said is he sucked this year and he clearly did. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Hey, mfitz is the one obsessed with Q, Wood, and wiener jokes in general...

I can’t make a credible case that I don’t love wiener jokes. 

8 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Technically Stefan has more points than Hughes. Thornton has the worst first season for 1 OA. 

4 hours ago, Guadana said:

Technically Stefan has more points than Hughes. Thornton has the worst first season for 1 OA. 

And he’s headed directly for the HOF when he hangs ‘em up. Just another reason to not freak out when a guy isn’t an instant superstar.

5 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And he’s headed directly for the HOF when he hangs ‘em up. Just another reason to not freak out when a guy isn’t an instant superstar.

I'm more concerned that the devils are hurting Jack`s development and not being able to find him worthy partners than that he will turn out to be an unworthy player on his own.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Agreed. I’m not freaking out. But it’s fair comment to say he sucked last season. 

It would not be fair to label him a bust because of it. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I'm more concerned that the devils are hurting Jack`s development and not being able to find him worthy partners than that he will turn out to be an unworthy player on his own.

That’s certainly a concern. They need to give Jack good wingers. That should be one of Fitz’s top priorities.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I am not worried about fan expectations. At some point, these guys have to come up or they never will. If Ty Smith doesn’t make this team this year, that does not bode well for his career. 

Yeah I can deal with growing pains and I’m sure he’ll have stretches where he’s being schooled, but I gotta think he’s up with the big club at some point this year.

As for overall expectations...I think there’s a chance that the Devils squeak into a playoff berth if absolutely everything breaks right.  But I’ll settle for notable progress, as well as Ruff turning out to be the right guy for this team.  

• Like 1