New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

Talking about bringing up young d men, I was always surprised back in 2000 when Colin White came up in March, played 21 regular season games and 25 post season games. So I looked his record up. Colin played over 200 games in Albany waiting for that opportunity. Ty Smith will not have that kind of time to learn his trade, apparently. Not sure if Nas is the best coach to bring him along, though.

3 hours ago, point said:

Talking about bringing up young d men, I was always surprised back in 2000 when Colin White came up in March, played 21 regular season games and 25 post season games. So I looked his record up. Colin played over 200 games in Albany waiting for that opportunity. Ty Smith will not have that kind of time to learn his trade, apparently. Not sure if Nas is the best coach to bring him along, though.

My thoughts on Nas are well documented here so lets just say I agree with you.

White apparently was a huge part of keeping Gomez well out of trouble during that 2000 season. He told the story on Chiclets and again on Cam and Strick about getting tossed out of a bar by some bouncer and Whitey saving the day

So these guys who apparently had enough money to put a bid in on the Mets are going to cheap out on 2020-21?  Not that the franchise should spend recklessly for the sake of doing so, and we've seen the Devils ice some capped-out teams that weren't great by any stretch, and should this mean more money down the line for in-house talent that should be kept, so be it...but something about this isn't thrilling me.  It's definitely giving those who claim that the team has been sitting on cap space for sake of doing so some ammo.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So these guys who apparently had enough money to put a bid in on the Mets are going to cheap out on 2020-21?  Not that the franchise should spend recklessly for the sake of doing so, and we've seen the Devils ice some capped-out teams that weren't great by any stretch, and should this mean more money down the line for in-house talent that should be kept, so be it...but something about this isn't thrilling me.  It's definitely giving those who claim that the team has been sitting on cap space for sake of doing so some ammo.  

I will say this: no fans in the stands impacts that. The NHL is a gate league. No gate, revenue league-wide is down big-time. So while it doesn’t thrill me either, I’m not really surprised.

Edited by MadDog2020

Considering the team likely isn't going to contend anyway and they now have to pay Schneider and PK insane amounts of money for a few years.... I don't blame them. 

EDIT: On the other hand I guess the team isn't leveraging the cap space by taking on some bad contracts then. 

Edited by NJDevils1214

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I will say this: no fans in the stands impacts that. The NHL is a gate league. No gate, revenue league-wide is down big-time. So while it doesn’t thrill me either, I’m not really surprised.

Yeah that's fair.  Suffice it to say it's a sh!tty time to be a UFA.  I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of one and two-year deals, with the hope that teams will be able to spend later.

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Considering the team likely isn't going to contend anyway and they now have to pay Schneider and PK insane amounts of money for a few years.... I don't blame them. 

EDIT: On the other hand I guess the team isn't leveraging the cap space by taking on some bad contracts then. 

Only a couple more years for each player...that's a good thing, but man are the Devils going to have a hell of a lot to spend down the line.  Only player signed beyond 2022-23 is Nico.  

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

And on yet another hand, one thing that would make us closer to competing is having more guys that are expensive and good, rather than having cap space and our most expensive guys have been awful. 

Just sayin’. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I said “expensive and good”. 

Are we at the point where we can turn our nose up at 50+ point players because they aren't "good" enough? That would have lead the team this year lol. 

It makes more sense to wait until all these young players start to hit their stride before they go spending assloads of money just because they can. 

11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Are we at the point where we can turn our nose up at 50+ point players because they aren't "good" enough? That would have lead the team this year lol. 

It makes more sense to wait until all these young players start to hit their stride before they go spending assloads of money just because they can. 

Again, good AND expensive. 

Should we turn our noses up at him? Obviously not. But we are definitely at a point where we shouldn't pay into 8 figures a year to a guy who is a 50+ point player with a career 14 games of playoff experience. I'd be happy to have Hall back (assuming he wanted to come back, which he doesn't), but nowhere near the $11-12m people were expecting him to get.

That was pretty much my exact point. I want to have a Tavares/Marner type contract, where you get the production that goes with the price tag. Not paying $9m for PK Subban's ghost.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Should we turn our noses up at him? Obviously not. But we are definitely at a point where we shouldn't pay into 8 figures a year to a guy who is a 50+ point player with a career 14 games of playoff experience. I'd be happy to have Hall back (assuming he wanted to come back, which he doesn't), but nowhere near the $11-12m people were expecting him to get.

That was pretty much my exact point. I want to have a Tavares/Marner type contract, where you get the production that goes with the price tag. Not paying $9m for PK Subban's ghost.

I was initially being tongue and cheek about signing Hall, but then I was playing devils advocate. I agree with you that Hall isn't worth it.

I'd rather the team end up in a situation like Colorado where all their top end talent is locked up in great team friendly deals with a ton of space left over rather than Vancouver with a ton of expensive dead weight at a time where their future talent is still developing.

33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Those level talents only sign with NY or TOR in FA. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Which is why it sucks we can’t land them at will like those markets can. 

for sure but i really think if we want to be successful we need to build from within. our core is very young so having that core getting in its prime all at the same time is our best bet

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

for sure but i really think if we want to be successful we need to build from within. our core is very young so having that core getting in its prime all at the same time is our best bet

Sure, that’s great if it works out. But improving the team short term, so that we have some success and people can see we are a decent organization, that would be a good thing. Maybe if you do that, you get the better free agents. Or you re-sign a guy after a trade. Or you get the better coaches. And so on. 

4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Those level talents only sign with NY or TOR in FA. 

Not to mention quite a few of them stay put before they even hit UFA.

2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Sure, that’s great if it works out. But improving the team short term, so that we have some success and people can see we are a decent organization, that would be a good thing. Maybe if you do that, you get the better free agents. Or you re-sign a guy after a trade. Or you get the better coaches. And so on. 

Well that's a given but it's hard to pull off. Signing a top free agent around 28 years old for 7-8 years and that his prime years doesn't align with our young core then by when they are in their prime that other player is declining and clogging your cap.