New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Well that's a given but it's hard to pull off. Signing a top free agent around 28 years old for 7-8 years and that his prime years doesn't align with our young core then by when they are in their prime that other player is declining and clogging your cap.

Well you’re adding a bunch of additional stuff to what I said, but still, there’s a benefit to it which is why every team in the league other than us seems to do it. We just keep our cap space in our pockets, play Kevin Rooney, Mike McLeod and Mirco Mueller and wonder why we missed the playoffs lol. 

If we are going to take the quote for what it literally says, the Devils have an internal budget for 2020-2021 season.  Going into the expansion draft with a boat load of cap space could be the smartest thing for the franchise right now.  I can't imagine there is a cache of UFAs that could possibly improve the roster enough for a playoff spot.  Not saying don't go after anyone, but committing to the cap for the next few seasons would be dumb at the moment.  Especially with all the opportunities from the flat cap and expansion draft.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Crisis said:

If we are going to take the quote for what it literally says, the Devils have an internal budget for 2020-2021 season.  Going into the expansion draft with a boat load of cap space could be the smartest thing for the franchise right now.  I can't imagine there is a cache of UFAs that could possibly improve the roster enough for a playoff spot.  Not saying don't go after anyone, but committing to the cap for the next few seasons would be dumb at the moment.  Especially with all the opportunities from the flat cap and expansion draft.

Also taking it literally, you don't know what the budget is. And I doubt anyone who knows has revealed it. 

Clearly its not "sped to the cap", but how annoyed I am depends on how tight it is. 

48 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Kovalchuk is still a top 6 guy... in the KHL. 

Since coming back, he's scored 26 goals in 110 GP.  Great big hard NO.  

• Like 4

I’ll hate this team if that Russian douche comes back to it. Yet another Tweet by Devils’ Insiders that make you wonder if they even know hockey.

EDIT: reading the thread of that tweet, they’re trying to play it off as a joke. Highly doubt it, they loved Kovy.

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, jagknife said:

I’ll hate this team if that Russian douche comes back to it. Yet another Tweet by Devils’ Insiders that make you wonder if they even know hockey.

EDIT: reading the thread of that tweet, they’re trying to play it off as a joke. Highly doubt it, they loved Kovy.

I mean we all loved Kovy didn’t we? He was one of the most exciting and dynamic players we’ve ever had. That’s in the past though, and bringing him back at 37 years old would be a terrible idea. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Not saying i want him back but 26 goals in his last 110 GP is better than literally anyone on our roster minus Palms, Zajac and Nico.

Another part of the problem at this point is that he does very little else.  He pretty much has to pop in 30 or so goals to serve any real purpose.  

Hopefully by this time next year, we're talking about how Bratt, Hughes and others (some of whom have yet to be a part of the organization) have taken steps forward.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Hopefully by this time next year, we're talking about how Bratt, Hughes and others (some of whom have yet to be a part of the organization) have taken steps forward.

I’m adding Nico to that list. Obviously he has progressed, but I’d sure like to see him continuing to do that each season while he’s still so young. There’s room to go from good to great, and from great to superstar, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

Sucks, though, that the Rags are going to hold that #1 spot for the foreseeable future thanks to Laf.

Then again, deep draft.  Maybe the kid we get at #7 will surprise us and be one of the best of the draft.

There's also a chance what we find at 18 or 20 could be something special too considering the depth of the draft. I wouldn't expect them to really affect anything for a few years though. I hope whoever is at 7 can step in without being rushed

• Like 5

23 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

There's also a chance what we find at 18 or 20 could be something special too considering the depth of the draft. I wouldn't expect them to really affect anything for a few years though. I hope whoever is at 7 can step in without being rushed

The last number 7 pick to start in the NHL the year they were drafted was Jeff Skinner 10 years ago.  63 points in 82 games and a Calder.

But yeah, no other 7 made the jump right away.  Clayton Keller played the last 3 games of the season for Arizona but that hardly counts.

23 minutes ago, Crisis said:

The last number 7 pick to start in the NHL the year they were drafted was Jeff Skinner 10 years ago.  63 points in 82 games and a Calder.

But yeah, no other 7 made the jump right away.  Clayton Keller played the last 3 games of the season for Arizona but that hardly counts.

Picks 4-10 could really go in a lot of ways and there are couple guys in that range that could jump into the NHL right away. Im not sure I would force it if I was NJ unless they really impressed me though.

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

That's why I said "without being rushed". Basically, it would be cool for them to show up at camp and you can tell they fit. 

I'm not expecting it, especially with about a month between the draft and the supposed training camp, but just wishful thinking. We don't need to rush anyone, this team isn't gonna be fighting for a cup anytime soon. Might as well let 'em develop

30 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

That's why I said "without being rushed". Basically, it would be cool for them to show up at camp and you can tell they fit. 

I'm not expecting it, especially with about a month between the draft and the supposed training camp, but just wishful thinking. We don't need to rush anyone, this team isn't gonna be fighting for a cup anytime soon. Might as well let 'em develop

Yeah, I feel you, and I agree with everything you said.  Would be awesome to land a rookie Skinner type of player but just looking at the past, it doesn't seem too likely.

6 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

I’m adding Nico to that list. Obviously he has progressed, but I’d sure like to see him continuing to do that each season while he’s still so young. There’s room to go from good to great, and from great to superstar, etc. 

Yeah, I've touched on Nico...I need to see him get through full seasons not getting hurt and then sliding backward, after appearing to have made nice progress.  That's been his last two seasons.  Not all on him, and I'm still very bullish on him.  But feels like this upcoming season is a big one for him.