New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

The Russian/Cyrillic alphabet (and seeing words spelled with those letters) makes my eyeballs explode...it’s just SO different than what I’m used to.  Oh, there’s a word that starts with a number 3.  There’s a backwards R...and a backwards N.

Guadana, when you first saw English words, was it similarly jarring for you?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Russian/Cyrillic alphabet (and seeing words spelled with those letters) makes my eyeballs explode...it’s just SO different than what I’m used to.  Oh, there’s a word that starts with a number 3.  There’s a backwards R...and a backwards N.

Guadana, when you first saw English words, was it similarly jarring for you?

That were german words. I can`t speak or write but i`m ok to read. I was... 6 yo.

Most fun thing was when i try to learn english after german. That`s where my brain was little damaged from the start. If we talks about letters - it`s just new simbols. A similar approach, a lot of similar things - you can forgive for a new language. I'm sure the Japanese or the Arabs would have laughed at our conversation) And how do the Chinese use tonality(in addition to the complexity of the hieroglyphs)? We are clearly not in the most difficult conditions.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

Learning languages gets more difficult as one ages, in my experience. I was exposed to Polish in grammar school (South River, NJ) , Latin and German in HS, actually studied; had native Spanish speaking roommates in college, and my wife and I took Irish classes much later. Now I have some Chinese clients. My brain felt different after each Irish class, like it had literally been stretched . Anyway, you get further East it gets sketchy. Greece is ok if you had Latin, once you figure out the alphabet. Turkish is another world entirely, I was told it had more in common with Japanese than Western Indo-European languages.  

But as Guadana points out sentence structure changes with each language. Germans like to put verbs at the end of sentences, Romans used long sentences and relied on word forms to make sense. Irish has its own way of answering questions. Language is a window on its speakers. 

Thanks, Guadana!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, point said:

Learning languages gets more difficult as one ages, in my experience. I was exposed to Polish in grammar school (South River, NJ) , Latin and German in HS, actually studied; had native Spanish speaking roommates in college, and my wife and I took Irish classes much later. Now I have some Chinese clients. My brain felt different after each Irish class, like it had literally been stretched . Anyway, you get further East it gets sketchy. Greece is ok if you had Latin, once you figure out the alphabet. Turkish is another world entirely, I was told it had more in common with Japanese than Western Indo-European languages.  

But as Guadana points out sentence structure changes with each language. Germans like to put verbs at the end of sentences, Romans used long sentences and relied on word forms to make sense. Irish has its own way of answering questions. Language is a window on its speakers. 

Thanks, Guadana!

Great story! My father knew 9 languages and could speak on six of them openly. I've never been close to that.

1 hour ago, Nicomo said:

I love that he chose his number because of an ice cream bar lol

Reminds me of when Steve Heinze used to wear #57.  

• 2 weeks later...
16 hours ago, jagknife said:

Logo looks like it’s more centered!

Sadly if you want to get a "proper" reverse retro, you'll probably have to go game-issued or game-worn (this has sadly been the case with Adidas jerseys since Day 1).  DM84 mentioned that the ones that will be made available to fans (even the "authentics") won't be close to what the on-ice jersey will be.  

A proper GI or GW RR would be the only version of this design that I'd be willing to buy (not that it's a high priority for me at the moment).  

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Sadly if you want to get a "proper" reverse retro, you'll probably have to go game-issued or game-worn (this has sadly been the case with Adidas jerseys since Day 1).  DM84 mentioned that the ones that will be made available to fans (even the "authentics") won't be close to what the on-ice jersey will be.  

A proper GI or GW RR would be the only version of this design that I'd be willing to buy (not that it's a high priority for me at the moment).  

And I assume it would be even pricier than a normal red or white GI/GW? I bought an Indo “authentic” white heritage when they came out because I figured even a GI would be hard to come by since they only wear them a handful of times a year. 

I finally bought my first GI from Meigray last year, and I thought that was even kind of expensive, considering it was some guy I’ve never heard of (John Ramage). That one is actually still at EPS waiting to be turned into a Hughes. But ofc it’s taking forever as usual...

38 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

And I assume it would be even pricier than a normal red or white GI/GW? I bought an Indo “authentic” white heritage when they came out because I figured even a GI would be hard to come by since they only wear them a handful of times a year. 

I finally bought my first GI from Meigray last year, and I thought that was even kind of expensive, considering it was some guy I’ve never heard of (John Ramage). That one is actually still at EPS waiting to be turned into a Hughes. But ofc it’s taking forever as usual...

Odds are the RR will be more expensive. 

I only collect goalie jerseys now, so my options will be both limited and very expensive. 

The MeiGray prices on GI jerseys are sometimes quite high, and they don’t seem to care. No-name players on the Adidas styles are a minimum of $300, and usually more. But, they are also the only source if you want the real thing. 

I have bought quite a few over the years, you kind of just have to suck it up and do it. 

• Like 1