New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

https://www.nj.com/devils/2020/06/devils-jack-hughes-plans-to-work-and-eat-his-way-to-big-success-i-will-get-stronger.html

What do you make of this?  Did Jack actually get bigger during the off-season?  Do you believe what he says in that regard because if he’s still around 170 lbs it’s gonna be another long (even though shortened) season.  Am definitely concerned.  Someone please shed some light.

18 minutes ago, ajsgolf said:

https://www.nj.com/devils/2020/06/devils-jack-hughes-plans-to-work-and-eat-his-way-to-big-success-i-will-get-stronger.html

What do you make of this?  Did Jack actually get bigger during the off-season?  Do you believe what he says in that regard because if he’s still around 170 lbs it’s gonna be another long (even though shortened) season.  Am definitely concerned.  Someone please shed some light.

I think it’s probably the main reason he’s not going to the WJC. His only focus should be the weight room right now. 

On 12/2/2020 at 4:34 PM, DevsMan84 said:

For the rushed part; it could be Hughes is just not as good as advertised.  That question only gets asked to first overall picks who don't pan out.

I still haven't reached this point yet.  I still think he was a truly a "young" 18-year-old...the complete opposite of a man-child, the way some 18-year-olds are.  There's at least some signs that, with physical maturity, sorely-needed muscle (and hopefully good coaching), he can turn into a star.  FWIW, he seems extremely willing to put the work in.  He was the top pick on just about everyone's board IIRC, so there's that.

I can't say that you're 100% wrong to feel that Hughes may simply not be THAT good, and touted overall #1s don't always pan out as expected, for a variety of reasons.  But I sure hope in a 3-4 years, we're talking about how Hughes got off to a rough start, but thank god he managed to put it all together.  Fingers tightly TIGHTLY crossed...

1 hour ago, Crisis said:

Yeah man, it's crazy how many times he effortlessly slips past everyone but just can't get on the scoreboard

It's like I always say; zone entries are great, if you are great at zone entires it should turn into actual scoring at some point, or at least better scoring than someone who can't enter the zone to save their life. 

Thus far, Jack has not proven to be able to turn his zone entries into anything.

If Fancy skating was all it took, I'd go sign Johnny Weir. 

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It's like I always say; zone entries are great, if you are great at zone entires it should turn into actual scoring at some point, or at least better scoring than someone who can't enter the zone to save their life. 

Thus far, Jack has not proven to be able to turn his zone entries into anything.

If Fancy skating was all it took, I'd go sign Johnny Weir. 

He turns them into shots, shot assists, and overall scoring chances.

1 minute ago, Crisis said:

He turns them into shots, shot assists, and overall scoring chances.

Which also mean dIck until they convert to actual scoring. All of those things just increase your chances of scoring. That's not necessarily a knock on Jack alone, obviously. But if your proposition is that Jack had an amazing rookie season but played with sh!t line mates and its all their fault, they you're only telling half the story. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Which also mean dIck until they convert to actual scoring. All of those things just increase your chances of scoring. That's not necessarily a knock on Jack alone, obviously. But if your proposition is that Jack had an amazing rookie season but played with sh!t line mates and its all their fault, they you're only telling half the story. 

I don't recall proposing that.  I'm just saying that you are incorrect in saying "Thus far, Jack has not proven to be able to turn his zone entries into anything"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Crisis said:

Can't think of someone who wouldn't

EDIT: Maybe Nicomo

C’mon now. First and foremost I want the Devils to win games. Problem is we don’t have many players that score dirty goals either.  

The goals will come for Jack though. I find it highly unlikely he’ll continue to shoot at a 5.7% clip. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

C’mon now. First and foremost I want the Devils to win games. Problem is we don’t have many players that score dirty goals either.  

The goals will come for Jack though. I find it highly unlikely he’ll continue to shoot at a 5.7% clip. 

Totally joking, dude.  I just had to.

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

This is why I miss Blake Coleman. 

He scored both. Some of those highlight reel one handed goals were just ridiculous. 

I’m not sure we’ve really had a true “dirty goal scorer” since Parise. Nico scores a lot from the slot, but it’s more tips and deflections than rebounds. 

59 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

He scored both. Some of those highlight reel one handed goals were just ridiculous. 

They were, but to me, they weren't exactly finesse moves. usually he was tied up, knocked down, etc., that's still a dirty goal to me. 

5 minutes ago, MB3 said:

It isn’t “all their fault” but anyone with eyes and half a brain can tell after watching Jack’s season that:

1. He may have not been quite NHL ready, especially because of his body. BUT;

2. If he’s on a line with actual NHL hockey players, maybe they finish a good handful of those incredible chances set up by those zone entries.

Right. That's pretty much what I said. Does that mean I have eyes and half a brain, or you do, or both of us?

1 hour ago, MB3 said:

2. If he’s on a line with actual NHL hockey players, maybe they finish a good handful of those incredible chances set up by those zone entries.

The amount of potential highlight-reel-calibur assists and setups that were ruined by any combination of Simmonds / Palmieri / whoever else... 

People are way overthinking this stuff about Jack.  He's a dynamic player and if he had a player on his wing that could keep up he would've had 40+ points last season.

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, MB3 said:

The sentence "Thus far, Jack has not proven to be able to turn his zone entries into anything" to me, a human with eyes and half a brain (but only barely), implies a more-than-reasonable amount of blame falling on the shoulders of the literal child the future of this franchise depends on. 

And then I said there was a bit of hyperbole in that statement, so I had already dialed that back, and that wasn’t the post you quoted. 

You quoted the one where I said that some, but not all, blame goes to his line mates. Then you chimed in and said that some, but not all, blame goes to Jack. Which is the reverse part of the same thing I said. 

You’re just arguing to argue. Which is fine, clearly I love to argue.