New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If he can’t go, he can’t go. But not great news. 

Although Wedgewood, or Senn, or a cardboard cutout of Brodeur is still better than Schneider. 

Are you talking about 2021 Vezina finalist Cory Schneider?

• Like 1
  • Shocking 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

This is such piss poor and vague reporting. Did a family member die or get sick? Did he test positive for covid? Is he contemplating retirement? I hope it's nothing serious but why not just ask the team directly instead lf this vague bs... 

I think the response is pretty telling, actually. Without putting Crawford’s business out in the street, he says that Crawford has to decide for himself whether he wants to be there. That doesn’t sound like someone who has COVID. That sounds like someone who didn’t want to leave his current team, left his current team, and tried to go somewhere else before realizing he didn’t have it in him. 

I think he’s still a serviceable backup, but if his biggest accomplishment is replacing Cory Schneider, maybe he’ll have served his purpose. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I think the response is pretty telling, actually. Without putting Crawford’s business out in the street, he says that Crawford has to decide for himself whether he wants to be there. That doesn’t sound like someone who has COVID. That sounds like someone who didn’t want to leave his current team, left his current team, and tried to go somewhere else before realizing he didn’t have it in him. 

I think he’s still a serviceable backup, but if his biggest accomplishment is replacing Cory Schneider, maybe he’ll have served his purpose. 

Yeah and to clarify my post, I don't need to know the reason, I was using examples of what it could be, my point was why ask other players for vague bs answers when he literally said he wasn't going to speculate before having concrete information. It's bs reporting but not at all surprising considering our beat reporters suck. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

All of that was a problem when he signed. 

Which if its him having regrets about being here, kinda makes me upset.

If its a family thing, or even health, I 100% get it and hope everything works out in the end. But if its "You know what, I don't really want to be a Devil" I'm gonna have a problem with it.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Devilsfan118 said:

So:

• No Nico
  • No Crawford
  • No Bratt

This team hasn't even hit the ice yet and I'm already completely down on their chances of doing anything significant this year.

It's definitely hard to be optimistic about this season after all this but on the bright side.... At least it's only 56 games lol

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

It's definitely hard to be optimistic about this season after all this but on the bright side.... At least it's only 56 games lol

I guess the only thing we could look forward to is Blackwood maintaining his development pace, seeing Hughes in year 2 after 16lbs of muscle, and the Bratt saga ending hopefully cleanly and not in an ugly breakup...

Edited by jagknife
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Satans Hockey said:

Of course none of our own beat reporters picked up the scoop on this but I'm glad hes back... 

Kind of surprised to hear it but that’s a great signing, especially where you know he wouldn’t have played more than 56 games anyway. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, EdgeControl said:

exactly, screw him if he bails out now...

Basically, yes. I get the family concernsv , COVID concerns, whatever, but that was all still true when he signed and had a fancy new mask painted. 

If he physically can’t play, or a family member is sick, different story to me. But it doesn’t sound like it at all from those quotes. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Kind of surprised to hear it but that’s a great signing, especially where you know he wouldn’t have played more than 56 games anyway. 

i kind of saw it coming honestly.

With all this sh!t a guy probably wants to stick with what he knows and where he can shine. He knows NJ and knows he could be a big part of the team

Cory #2 didn't sound like he wanted to be here since his first press conference. Hope whatever is bothering him is nothing serious and just homesickness. Either way, no hard feelings if he never suits up as a devil. Just kinda wish we had an nhl caliber backup goalie now. 

Glad hockey's back next week, but what a horrible way to start with everything goin on with our team. Sami is back so that's cool. Good news is that it'll be a short season. better than nothin. 

Murray - Subban

Smith - Severson

Butcher - Vatanen

well that's bad news for the young guys trying to crack the lineup but vat usually get injured so they'll have their shot.

Also i guess i'd rather have vatanen on the second pairing and on the left side but i don't think i'd want to risk a Butcher Smith pairing just yet... i'd rather pair smith with a veteran if possible

Edited by SterioDesign

8 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Murray - Subban

Smith - Severson

Butcher - Vatanen

well that's bad news for the young guys trying to crack the lineup but vat usually get injured so they'll have their shot.

Also i guess i'd rather have vatanen on the second pairing and on the left side but i don't think i'd want to risk a Butcher Smith pairing just yet... i'd rather pair smith with a veteran if possible

you're forgetting Kulikov.

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Murray - Subban

Smith - Severson

Butcher - Vatanen

I like those pairings. Okhotyuk, Bahl, and Walsh all need seasoning over at the practice rink with the RWJ Barnabas Health Hockey House Devils of Binghamton. 

1 hour ago, pumpkin cutter said:

you're forgetting Kulikov.

I think he’ll be the 7th.

Wasn't so long ago that we were wondering how much a guy like Vatanen would get (terms and money per)...pretty sure no one dreamed it would ever be 1 year @ $2 million.  A solid "makes sense" kind of signing, for that price.  

The Crawford situation...hope that doesn't turn out to be as bad as it feels like it's going to be.  Damn.  

• Like 2