New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’m not “upset” about putting Merkley on waivers, but I did like what I saw from him in his few games last year. He was also playing well in Liiga. Which is a pretty good league. 

I think he can be a decent bottom 6 NHL player. He was also a 1st round pick, and those guys usually get more chances than guys taken later. Kind of surprised by this. 

I mean he was a first round pick, but barely (30th overall). I don’t think he’s done anything that tells me he needs to be on our NHL roster right now. 

Neither has Bastian, of course, but someone must’ve seen something in him that made them think he deserves the shot over Merkley. 

Not saying he definitely won’t get claimed, but did he have to clear waivers in Arizona before last season?

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Absolutely. From what I recall his goals last year were from being in front of the net and making a mess. Definitely something this team needs

I can volunteer to make a mess in front of the net. Maybe in a different way, but I could do it. 

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I mean he was a first round pick, but barely (30th overall). I don’t think he’s done anything that tells me he needs to be on our NHL roster right now. 

Neither has Bastian, of course, but someone must’ve seen something in him that made them think he deserves the shot over Merkley. 

Neither has McLeod. 

3 hours ago, Satans Hockey said:

I see a decent amount of people upset with that move and I don't get why. I don't remember Merkley doing anything that was worthy of being upset over losing. 

He looked good this camp and towards the end of last season. He would’ve made a good bottom six winger. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Satans Hockey said:

I saw him play last year, looked like just another guy we would all forget played for the Devils in a few years. We've had a lot of those in the last decade. 

He looked just like that in all 4 games. You can’t tell anything about him from him playing 4 games in the NHL last year and one 3 seasons ago for another franchise. Don’t care what he did in the AHL, or in Liiga, because we all know those don’t translate to NHL success.

This is such an insignificant move. That said, you do have to wonder who McLeod has naked pictures of that he gets a spot. A little size, a lot of wheels, and not much else. 

Nobody answered my question, is that the end of cuts and the roster is fixed?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He looked just like that in all 4 games. You can’t tell anything about him from him playing 4 games in the NHL last year and one 3 seasons ago for another franchise. Don’t care what he did in the AHL, or in Liiga, because we all know those don’t translate to NHL success.

This is such an insignificant move. That said, you do have to wonder who McLeod has naked pictures of that he gets a spot. A little size, a lot of wheels, and not much else. 

Nobody answered my question, is that the end of cuts and the roster is fixed?

Apparently at least two players have to go to the taxi squad. 

Well that list doesn’t include Vatanen, so I am thinking two defensemen and two forwards will have to go once you add Vatanen, Bratt and Hischier. 

McLeod seems a perfect option, he has NHL experience (but barely) and I doubt any time in the AHL will allow him to improve. 

Foote is a terrible idea, he needs to be playing, should be in the AHL. Probably Maltsev.

Tennyson probably will be a taxi guy. I would put one of Carrick and Kulikov there also. 

And obviously Wedgewood or Senn. 

20 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

What players do in the AHL doesn’t translate to NHL projections? Hmm never heard that one before.

19 minutes ago, devlman said:

What players do in the AHL doesn’t translate to NHL projections? Hmm never heard that one before.

No? Every guy who does well in the AHL winds up being successful in the in NHL? Ever hear of a guy named Reid Boucher?

Edited by mfitz804

12 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

No? Every guy who does well in the AHL winds up being successful in the in NHL? Ever hear of a guy named Reid Boucher?

You’re right, AHL performance should never be used to project a player...because Reid Boucher.

Just now, devlman said:

You’re right, AHL performance should never be used to project a player...because Reid Boucher.

I didn’t say it should never be used to project a player, I said AHL performance doesn’t guarantee NHL success. There’s probably a hundred guys that play fine in the AHL and then tank in the NHL. Even you know that. 

I get that your deal is to try to be sarcastic, but it just makes you look stupid when you do it by misquoting someone. 

Were you misquoted or is it that communication is not your strong suit? You did not say ‘guarantee NHL success’ as you are now maintaining. You said AHL performance does not translate to NHL success. If you think those two mean the same thing then you’re lost in your own words.

Yeah, they are exactly the same concept. It neither translates to success (AHL numbers mean a guy has good NHL numbers) or guarantees success (a guy successful in the AHL is automatically successful in the NHL).  I certainly didn’t say you can’t use it to project what a prospect will do. I didn’t say anything about projecting anything. I was talking about what actually happens, not what you think might happen. Has nothing to do with my communication, maybe you need to work on your reading comprehension and if you are going to quote someone, try using what they actually said rather than making something up. 

Guys who had as good or better AHL numbers as Merkley are Jacob Josefson, Matthias Tedenby, Eric Gelinas, Reid Boucher, Stefan Matteau and John Quenneville. That’s a bunch of successful NHLers right there. Their good AHL stats didn’t translate or guarantee NHL success. 

Which I assume you know, but maybe I shouldn’t make assumptions about what people know. 

Edited by mfitz804

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Apparently at least two players have to go to the taxi squad. 

We currently show 7 proven NHL players in our group of forwards. 9 with Bratt and Nico.

Can't believe we're still this far off. We could end up having as poor a season as the Red Wings did last year.

Edited by Devilsfan118

1 hour ago, Devilsfan118 said:

We currently show 7 proven NHL players in our group of forwards. 9 with Bratt and Nico.

Can't believe we're still this far off. We could send up having as poor a season as the Red Wings did last year.

look at the division the Red Wings are in. They will have a worst season than they did last year lol

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Where I give Crawford the benefit of the doubt is that I truly believe that he thought that whatever "crushed" feelings that he was experiencing about no longer being with the 'Hawks were going to be fully resolved by the time he would report to the team...when he put the pen to paper, I don't think he was thinking "Well, I can always bail if I'm not feeling it"...I don't think he considered that as some legit option at the time.  He signed with the intent of playing.

That being said, I'm not going to lie; now that I've had a little time to digest this, I'm annoyed with him too.  Don't hate the guy or anything, and I'm giving the "human element" a lot of weight (people sometimes do change their minds, even if it's inconvenient as hell to everyone else), and I'm not in his shoes...but yeah, a part of me wishes that he had more deeply explored what he was feeling, before committing and then uncommitting to the team that I root for more fervently than any other.  I feel like the parent of a daughter who just got dumped by someone who she really was into (and is now hurting), but it turned out that she was a just rebound to him, and he wasn't into it nearly as much...OK, on one level, at least you were honest, and let her go relatively quickly...you didn't string her along too too long, and she'll recover.  Doesn't mean that I'm happy with you, or want anything more to do with you.  

The funny (and sad) thing is that this is about as "rebound" of a scenario as it gets:

Dude gets dumped by his longtime girlfriend (or in this case, more of a divorce, that he didn't want).

Dude is devastated (I believe that Crawford used that exact word initially).

Dude finds a new girl that seems very interested in him...that's enough to suck him in, even though he still hasn't processed the death of his previous relationship.  At first, just being wanted by another seems like it's enough.  

Dude is mentally trying to move on, but seems stuck...can't stop thinking about the one that left him.

Dude finally does what he has to, what's right for him, and gets out of a relationship he simply wasn't ready for.  He did the right thing for him and that's a good thing.  Doesn't mean that the girl he dumped has to pat him on the back.  She's hurt and will be...she'll get over it in time, and will realize that it's for the best (given what we know now, would anyone want Crawford around the team if he was so conflicted about still playing?), but that doesn't mean the present doesn't blow.    

i'm expecting a royalty cheque coming my way for this girlfriend analogy.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

You spell check weird, but that’s funny nonetheless. 

I think that's how they spell it in England as well...think it's kind of a Euro thing?  I've seen it before (and yeah it does look weird). 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I think that's how they spell it in England as well...think it's kind of a Euro thing?  I've seen it before (and yeah it does look weird). 

I’m not sure, I ran spell cheque and it seems right to me. 

• Haha 2