New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

42 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

The fact that the team is so young, the coaches are new, the systems are new, and a bunch of the players are new to the team(some barely played in NA), and having to play teams as good as the ones in our division with no time to work on things - - it's only going to make the chances of success that much more slim. They really are being thrown into the deep end. 

Even Goose falls onto this list. He started off last season pretty bad, but he got taken out of the lineup and worked with coaches in practice, including Elias, and came back to play well the rest of the year. 

I never like the idea of tanking because I think you develop a loser mentality but given the circumstances, as long as we keep seeing excellent developmental progress out of Hughes, Smith, Zacha, McLeod and Blackwood plus hopefully Bratt and Hischier once they play some more, getting one more top 10 pick wouldn’t be the worst thing moving forward.   

3 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I never like the idea of tanking because I think you develop a loser mentality but given the circumstances, as long as we keep seeing excellent developmental progress out of Hughes, Smith, Zacha, McLeod and Blackwood plus hopefully Bratt and Hischier once they play some more, getting one more top 10 pick wouldn’t be the worst thing moving forward.   

it's not really tanking, we're just naturally not great cause we're rebuilding. It know a lot of people feel it's been awhile/too long. But we can't emphasis enough the horrible situation the team was in in 2015 with the oldest roster in the NHL and no prospects at all. You simply don't rebuild from that in 5 years, it's almost impossible. Plus we've been incredibly lucky to win the lottery twice, which should technically speed up the process slightly, but even then it's not enough yet

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it's not really tanking, we're just naturally not great cause we're rebuilding. It know a lot of people feel it's been awhile/too long. But we can't emphasis enough the horrible situation the team was in in 2015 with the oldest roster in the NHL and no prospects at all. You simply don't rebuild from that in 5 years, it's almost impossible. Plus we've been incredibly lucky to win the lottery twice, which should technically speed up the process slightly, but even then it's not enough yet

I agree that this is not tanking.  Just saying that maybe not being a good team while somehow still seeing great improvement in our young guys during this crazy year isn’t such a bad thing.  

I mean, as a whole,  I’ve been pretty entertained watching this team for most of the season

5 minutes ago, Lateralous said:

I agree that this is not tanking.  Just saying that maybe not being a good team while somehow still seeing great improvement in our young guys during this crazy year isn’t such a bad thing.  

I mean, as a whole,  I’ve been pretty entertained watching this team for most of the season

well exactly what we're seeing is really the ideal scenario. 

We're seeing the kids progress. Our worst players are actually mostly our vets, which will be gone by the time the team is relevant. Plus this is such a weird season, it's really like a bonus season where we can develop the kids and hopefully get a few more good prospect to add to our prospect pool.

It can be frustrating at times but when you remember that this is actually what's the best for the team it's making things a lot better

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

it's not really tanking, we're just naturally not great cause we're rebuilding. I know a lot of people feel it's been awhile/too long. But we can't emphasize enough the horrible situation the team was in in 2015 with the oldest roster in the NHL and no prospects at all. You simply don't rebuild from that in 5 years, it's almost impossible. Plus we've been incredibly lucky to win the lottery twice, which should technically speed up the process slightly, but even then it's not enough yet

Ok, SD, I got your point but the rebuild is taking too long because of the mistakes of the Owners, Shero, and Hynes. We have been lucky getting Nico and Hughes. Zacha's development has been too long, if it is for real, the secondary players selected have not been that good. Wasted too much time with Hall. All management mistakes. The rebuild has been too slow.

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah it's obviously a weird season to begin with...only 56 games, playing only against teams in your division (which isn't even the "normal" division), already a long break due to a team-wide Covid outbreak, leading to an uber-compressed schedule...your "practices" are basically coming four days a week, against your opponents.  As much as it would be fun for the Devils to make the playoffs somehow, I'm looking at this more and more as a chance to learn from some of the best...Devils will get to see a lot of tough opposition, again and again and again.  Learn from them.  

I usually agree or like what you post but I must take issue that there is a learning process going on during a game. They maybe playing the best but they are not watching how the best skates, holds the stick, stick handles the puck, it is all too fast for that to be going through their mind. What they are doing is hoping they don't make a major mistake and trying to move or get rid of the puck by passing or shooting without losing the puck. Not much learning going on (on the ice) during the game IMO. My best sport, for me, best, was golf. I didn't learn much playing around in 3 1/2 hours - 4 hours against others as I did practicing for 4 hours. To maintain a low handicap I practiced 10 to 16 hours a week and then played 4 to 5 days a week at least 18 holes a round trying to incorporate what I practiced. I was a full time member of a 27 hole golf course and I didn't work so golf was my job. When the winter came I skied or practiced skiing 100 days a year, I counted the day if I skied non stop for a min of 2 hours and usually a day was 4 hours again I worked at skiing and lived on the mountain. I share this information about myself not to brag but to explain I know something about practice vs playing or doing. Two different mental practices. When I feared the steepest slope, I skied it over and over, day after day, falling and stopping many times until that fear left my mind. I called that practice not skiing (not playing a game). My point with my post is this team won't improve without practice called practice not playing.  They will get better playing over and over that is called mileage but that is the slow way. Sorry CR, I just contradicted myself. Yes, they will learn playing without practice but it will take two to four times longer and they won't reach full potential. CR, my bad, my mind went left too quickly.

39 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Ok, SD, I got your point but the rebuild is taking too long because of the mistakes of the Owners, Shero, and Hynes. We have been lucky getting Nico and Hughes. Zacha's development has been too long, if it is for real, the secondary players selected have not been that good. Wasted too much time with Hall. All management mistakes. The rebuild has been too slow.

This is the team we were icing in hope of winning a stanley cup in 2014-2015. Top prospect being Reid Boucher. So you tell me how we're taking too long to rebuild from this roster. I mean honestly... look at this team and try to see what lies ahead future wise? In 5-6 years... you're only getting 5-6 first round picks... most will take 2-3-4 years to make the NHL, a bit longer to have an impact. IF they even make it. Then how do you attract free agents with a team like this? And what can you trade and get good value of? Like honestly tell me systematically how you rebuild from that in 5 years? lol Where are the good players coming from? 

That's not to say the management didn't make mistakes. But there's a huge difference with things not panning out on good decisions and making straight up bad decisions. the "real" bad decisions clearly ame from the previous management, i mean, LOOK AT THIS fvckING ROSTER and try not to cry. 

Camalleri - Henrique - Jagr

Ryder - Zajac - Brunner

Elias - Josefson - Zubrus

Havlat  - Gomez - Bernier

Matteau -Tootoo - Ruutu

Clowe  - Boucher - Sestito

Salvador - Larsson

Greene - Gelinas

Severson - Merrill

Fraser - Harrold

Schneider

Kinkaid

18 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

This is the team we were icing in hope of winning a stanley cup in 2014-2015. Top prospect being Reid Boucher. So you tell me how we're taking too long to rebuild from this roster. I mean honestly... look at this team and try to see what lies ahead future wise? In 5-6 years... you're only getting 5-6 first round picks... most will take 2-3-4 years to make the NHL, a bit longer to have an impact. IF they even make it. Then how do you attract free agents with a team like this? And what can you trade and get good value of? Like honestly tell me systematically how you rebuild from that in 5 years? lol Where are the good players coming from? 

That's not to say the management didn't make mistakes. But there's a huge difference with things not panning out on good decisions and making straight up bad decisions. the "real" bad decisions clearly ame from the previous management, i mean, LOOK AT THIS fvckING ROSTER and try not to cry. 

Ryder - Zajac - Brunner

Matteau -Tootoo - Ruutu

Salvador - Larsson

Greene - Gelinas

Severson - Merrill

Fraser - Harrold

Schneider

Kinkaid

SD, I am sorry to have upset you. I never thought that the rebuild should be done with all youth. I was and am of a mindset to get youth and FAs, good ones. I never thought that Subban was a good one. Bad mistake example. They had the money. They wasted years Shero and Hynes. The Owners were busy with the 76ers. The Arena was booked every night making tons of money. Devils secondary.

Yeah goes without saying that an 82-game season with occasional longer breaks between games and legit practices and no friggin’ pandemics is a hell of a lot more ideal.  But given this most different kind of season, might as well learn what you can from opponents who clearly know a thing or two about winning.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

That's not to say the management didn't make mistakes. But there's a huge difference with things not panning out on good decisions and making straight up bad decisions. the "real" bad decisions clearly are from the previous management, i mean, LOOK AT THIS fvckING ROSTER and try not to cry. 

Ryder - Zajac - Brunner

Matteau -Tootoo - Ruutu

Salvador - Larsson

Greene - Gelinas

Severson - Merrill

Fraser - Harrold

Schneider

Kinkaid

I have tears in my eyes, I say Lou thanks for this crap. But Lou kept the Devils in the playoffs. I liked the idea of a rebuild mostly with youth but not 7 years and we still don't have a playoff team, 7 years and we are far from one. We have some great young players. We needed to spend to bring in good, great FAs to go with them, to help them, to teach them. Didn't happen. Who's fault, owners, Shero, or Hynes I say all of the above mostly Shero. I am talking about a rebuild to get into the playoff, still a ways to the Cup round. I didn't mean to upset you. I am having a bad day.

@Brewskies, this is not a popular high-profile UFA destination.  Never has been.  Devils have to trade for bigger name players who are already under contract (like they did for Hall and later Subban) or for young RFAs to be, that they can re-sign (like they did with Palms).

Shero tried to be as creative as he could be with limited resources, and made his share of “makes sense” deals (like MoJo) but didn’t get the breaks.  Also don’t forget how much Cory’s game deserting him (and his contract) was an absolute killer.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Brewskies, this is not a popular high-profile UFA destination.  Never has been.  

To that point, there have to be guys who we could overwhelm with fat contracts who would come here for the money. But, do we want those guys? They never seem to live up to those deals. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

@Brewskies, this is not a popular high-profile UFA destination.  Never has been.  Devils have to trade for bigger name players who are already under contract (like they did for Hall and later Subban) or for young RFAs to be, that they can re-sign (like they did with Palms).

Shero tried to be as creative as he could be with limited resources, and made his share of “makes sense” deals (like MoJo) but didn’t get the breaks.  Also don’t forget how much Cory’s game deserting him (and his contract) was an absolute killer.

Thanks CR, I forgot the damage Schneider caused this team and management. Shero gambled and the gambles didn't work out. Could have gone either way. Sorry, I am having a bad day maybe I  am coming on too strong and not thinking things through. Thanks for reply and offering other points. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Still gonna say it, Cory played well for his first few years and deserved a good contract. Injuries are a terrible thing and he didn’t live up to it, but I don’t believe that was his fault. 

Oh I agree.  Based on how he had played up to that point, I was completely on board with extending him.  Sometimes sh!t just happens.  

Just now, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Oh I agree.  Based on how he had played up to that point, I was completely on board with extending him.  Sometimes sh!t just happens.  

Very true. Seems to happen in hockey more than other sports.  I guess it is what it is. 

19 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Still gonna say it, Cory played well for his first few years and deserved a good contract. Injuries are a terrible thing and he didn’t live up to it, but I don’t believe that was his fault. 

He was very good in the beginning. 

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just curious, your reference to the deal with MoJo, what do you think about the deal, and was it the signing or the sale to the Boston Bruins?

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

CR, your reference to this not being a high profile destination the Rangers and the Flyers don't seem to have a problem. What was your thought? We have New York City. Maybe it is because the Devils don't get the same press and have a smaller fan base.

58 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Just curious, your reference to the deal with MoJo, what do you think about the deal, and was it the signing or the sale to the Boston Bruins?

Acquiring him made plenty of sense...it was another Palms-type deal (a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a solid NHLer).  MoJo was coming off three solid NHL seasons, and had just turned in his best year...and had also not missed many games in the four seasons leading up to the trade.  Roughly 50 points per 82 GP seemed like a reasonable expectation.  

Unfortunately, you saw how it went...the deal simply didn’t work out. Thought Shero did a terrific job to get a 2nd and 4th round pick back for him...I would’ve been thrilled with just a second-rounder.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Acquiring him made plenty of sense...it was another Palms-type deal (a 2nd and 3rd round pick for a solid NHLer).  MoJo was coming off three solid NHL seasons, and had just turned in his best year...and had also not missed many games in the four seasons leading up to the trade.  Roughly 50 points per 82 GP seemed like a reasonable expectation.  

Unfortunately, you saw how it went...the deal simply didn’t work out. Thought Shero did a terrific job to get a 2nd and 4th round pick back for him...I would’ve been thrilled with just a second-rounder.  

He showed what he could do with talented linemates in Boston. They loved him in the run to the cup final but couldn't afford to keep him. Thanks for the reply.

5 hours ago, Brewskies said:

He showed what he could do with talented linemates in Boston. They loved him in the run to the cup final but couldn't afford to keep him. Thanks for the reply.

The Bruins probably dodged a bullet when they couldn’t re-sign him...Johansson is pretty inconsistent now, and tends to miss games.  He turned out to be a solid rental for them at least.  And despite MoJo not doing a whole lot here, Shero was somehow able to get back something close to what he gave up to bring him in.  I think Shero acquired him with the plan of keeping him, but was worried that with the sudden injuries (including that nasty concussion...fvcking rat-faced Marchand), that MoJo was going to be damaged goods going forward.  

7 hours ago, Brewskies said:

CR, your reference to this not being a high profile destination the Rangers and the Flyers don't seem to have a problem. What was your thought? We have New York City. Maybe it is because the Devils don't get the same press and have a smaller fan base.

New Jersey is still not New York. It might be geographically close, but those who think New York is a big draw don’t say “man, I wish I could play next to all of that”. If New York is important to you, you want to be IN it, not near it. 

Same deal with Philadelphia. 

• Like 1