New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

New Jersey is still not New York. It might be geographically close, but those who think New York is a big draw don’t say “man, I wish I could play next to all of that”. If New York is important to you, you want to be IN it, not near it. 

Same deal with Philadelphia. 

Agree about NY but pretty sure the vast majority of Flyers actually live in NJ

7 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

New Jersey is still not New York. It might be geographically close, but those who think New York is a big draw don’t say “man, I wish I could play next to all of that”. If New York is important to you, you want to be IN it, not near it. 

I love our Devils, and I hate the Rangers but..

You guys (not you directly @mfitz804) have to acknowledge that there's a major difference between living and playing in Manhattan versus living in Hoboken and playing in Newark.  Similarly with Philly - tons more to do around the arena and cooler places to live nearby downtown.  

Still wish they had picked somewhere other than Newark for the arena.

Edited by Devilsfan118

well i just updated the rosters in NHL21 and something beautiful happened.

PK is no longer the default player you see when you're selecting teams. HELLO NICO!!!

I really don't play often, but when i do its cause i want to have fun for like 15 minutes... well a portion of that fun is taken away when im reminded right away that Subban is on our team

Edited by SterioDesign
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well i just updated the rosters in NHL21 and something beautiful happened.

PK is no longer the default player you see when you're selecting teams. HELLO NICO!!!

I really don't play often, but when i do its cause i want to have fun for like 15 minutes... well a portion of that fun is taken away when im reminded right away that Subban is on our team

Stop me if I'm wrong, especially since I played 21 the first few weekends and that was about it, but most teams default to their Captain, right?

Except obviously when they dont have one and it picks the biggest personality on the team, clearly 😉

2 hours ago, Devilsfan118 said:

I love our Devils, and I hate the Rangers but..

You guys (not you directly @mfitz804) have to acknowledge that there's a major difference between living and playing in Manhattan versus living in Hoboken and playing in Newark.  Similarly with Philly - tons more to do around the arena and cooler places to live nearby downtown.  

Still wish they had picked somewhere other than Newark for the arena.

I think it goes beyond that. If New York is the draw to a certain player, that guy wants to play in New York, not adjacent to New York. 

I don’t think it’s important to everyone, but those guys who are excited by “the big city” want to be in the big city. It’s just common sense. 

1 hour ago, jagknife said:

Stop me if I'm wrong, especially since I played 21 the first few weekends and that was about it, but most teams default to their Captain, right?

Except obviously when they dont have one and it picks the biggest personality on the team, clearly 😉

It defaults to the highest rated player, which is usually the captain. Unfortunately, PK was the highest rated Devil before the last update. I'd assume Nico and a few others are above him but EA seems to rate veteran players based on their past and not the present

10 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

It defaults to the highest rated player, which is usually the captain. Unfortunately, PK was the highest rated Devil before the last update. I'd assume Nico and a few others are above him but EA seems to rate veteran players based on their past and not the present

It’s almost like it’s not even real at all. 

15 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

The Bruins probably dodged a bullet when they couldn’t re-sign him...Johansson is pretty inconsistent now, and tends to miss games.  He turned out to be a solid rental for them at least.  And despite MoJo not doing a whole lot here, Shero was somehow able to get back something close to what he gave up to bring him in.  I think Shero acquired him with the plan of keeping him, but was worried that with the sudden injuries (including that nasty concussion...fvcking rat-faced Marchand), that MoJo was going to be damaged goods going forward.  

Yes, after he left Boston he had playing problems. I never investigated what was the cause. I think you are correct about Shero's thinking process. Injuries cause problems some lingering. He didn't cost the Devils much, if at all, because of Shero deal making. Hockey is a funny game. Look at Taylor Hall, in Buffalo 12 points 19 games only 1 goal, remember his year with the Devils, then nothing since. Is this a result of injuries? I enjoy your conversations, thank you. I am ill so sometimes I am slow to respond other times I get attitude. Later

15 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Good point, but being close is OK. Players live in Hoboken playing in the City or Newark. They party when they could in NYC. Philly is another story further away. Play in Philly, live in PA or just outside in PA for tax reasons vs across the river in NJ. Newark people don't go to Philadelphia they go to NYC when they can party unless special situation. Later

Another bad game, poorly played, and special team breakdowns. The Islanders are a tough team to play against. Look what happens to Boston when they play them. But that can't excuse the poor play lately. Either the talent is lacking or it is the coaching. I am beginning to think it is coaching and more than one coach like just the special team's coach.  

22 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Another bad game, poorly played, and special team breakdowns. The Islanders are a tough team to play against. Look what happens to Boston when they play them. But that can't excuse the poor play lately. Either the talent is lacking or it is the coaching. I am beginning to think it is coaching and more than one coach like just the special team's coach.  

It’s both. We are sorely lacking finishers (Miles Wood is leading the team in goals ffs), and the PP has been horrendous. Which has to fall at least partially on Recchi. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

It’s both. We are sorely lacking finishers (Miles Wood is leading the team in goals ffs), and the PP has been horrendous. Which has to fall at least partially on Recchi. 

I'm with you. The young guys are the only ones contributing it seems. I've loved Ruff so far though. I like how he trusts and manages the young guys. The special teams need a boost for sure though.

Btw, love your profile pic man. Saw the Devils IG post earlier this week and almost died when I saw that Seves drawing hahah

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah, the talent isn't there but that is not the problem for not being ready to play. That's Ruff. Nasteddine is a problem with the special teams and IMO Recchi also for game play. Being slow while playing is on the coaches.

7 minutes ago, Brewskies said:

Yeah, the talent isn't there but that is not the problem for not being ready to play. That's Ruff. Nasteddine is a problem with the special teams and IMO Recchi also for game play. Being slow while playing is on the coaches.

The PK is looking much better the last few games, so I’m not sure Nas is really at fault right now. The PP has been a bigger problem lately. 

4 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The PK is looking much better the last few games, so I’m not sure Nas is really at fault right now. The PP has been a bigger problem lately. 

I agree however is the PK stable, time will tell, more than a few games are needed to determine that.

9 hours ago, Nicomo said:

We just don't have top NHL goal scorers on this team. As good as we think our Young first rounders can become, at this point theyre barely in the top 75 of the league... No consistency 

32 minutes ago, EdgeControl said:

We just don't have top NHL goal scorers on this team. As good as we think our Young first rounders can become, at this point theyre barely in the top 75 of the league... No consistency 

Yup, its a huge problem. I think I've made the point that flashy skating and passing don't get the job done. So far, we haven't found anyone who can consistently take the fancy skating and passing and turn it into actual goals (as opposed to expected goals). 

28th in the league in Goals For at the moment. 24th in Goals Against.

We have multiple problems.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Devs3cups said:

We all knew we had those problems though. What I expected this season was progress from the young guys, and so far, I've definitely seen some progress, even if the end result isn't always there. That's also on the Vets.

I know, I think we all got excited by what looked like a fast start. 

• Like 1

Just now, mfitz804 said:

I know, I think we all got excited by what looked like a fast start. 

100%. I'm a victim of it too. I have to bring myself back to the essential point of this season and that's for our young core to show signs of improvement and make strides. And so far, on that front, I'm satisfied. 

If we're honest, our young core guys have been more of a factor than our vets on a regular basis. Palms and Gusev (who should be contributing) have been disappointing, Subban also.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Yup, its a huge problem. I think I've made the point that flashy skating and passing don't get the job done. So far, we haven't found anyone who can consistently take the fancy skating and passing and turn it into actual goals (as opposed to expected goals). 

28th in the league in Goals For at the moment. 24th in Goals Against.

We have multiple problems.

The answer to who plays on Jack’s wing are clearly not on the team atm. I think we all hope Holtz, Foote, and Mercer will be options at some point, but you never know with draft picks.

I do know all the “fancy skating and passing” is damn fun to watch though. We sucked ass for many years before Jack joined the team (so this is nothing new), but at least our most skilled players aren’t Adam Henrique and Kyle Palmieri anymore...

I'm more upset that Palms and Goose are tanking their trade value than the way the team is playing. I expected the team to be meh, but I didn't expect those guys to be comparable to traffic cones. If they continue to play like this I honestly wouldn't blame Fitz for just holding on to them rather than trading them for pennies. 

If they continue to show up every night and compete, and beat the Rags, I'll be satisfied. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

The answer to who plays on Jack’s wing are clearly not on the team atm. I think we all hope Holtz, Foote, and Mercer will be options at some point, but you never know with draft picks.

I do know all the “fancy skating and passing” is damn fun to watch though. We sucked ass for many years before Jack joined the team (so this is nothing new), but at least our most skilled players aren’t Adam Henrique and Kyle Palmieri anymore...

Correct. It is more fun to watch the fancy skating and passing and we lose 2-1, with our only goal being a garbage goal with 12 seconds left, than watching sh!t skating and passing and losing 6-1 after going down 1-0 in the first minute and 4-0 by the end on the first period and with our only goal being a garbage goal with 12 seconds left.