New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

Sunday, Travis Zajac tie Bobby Holik for the third most goals scored as a Devil behind John MacLean in second and Patrik Elias in first. Also Travis is in third place for the most points as a Devil behind MacLean and Elias. These are great accomplishments for an average hockey player from Canada ending an 8 year $46,000,000 contract that most Devils' fans bitched about the length and amount when given and for year's after until lately.

5 hours ago, Brewskies said:

Sunday, Travis Zajac tie Bobby Holik for the third most goals scored as a Devil behind John MacLean in second and Patrik Elias in first. Also Travis is in third place for the most points as a Devil behind MacLean and Elias. These are great accomplishments for an average hockey player from Canada ending an 8 year $46,000,000 contract that most Devils' fans bitched about the length and amount when given and for year's after until lately.

The 8 year deal is the only reason he came close to 202 goals. Aside from a couple seasons with Parise, did he even have 20 in a season?

18 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

The 8 year deal is the only reason he came close to 202 goals. Aside from a couple seasons with Parise, did he even have 20 in a season?

Nope (had 19 a couple of years ago).  

Yeah, as much as I like Zajac, whatever numbers he has, he's compiled his way into having them...when you've played well over 1000 games (and have been counted on to provide occasional offense), you'll put up 200+ goals.  It has been fun seeing him put up 14 points in his last 16 GP though.  And no small feat to play as many games as he has...not like tons of players have done it. 

30 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Nope (had 19 a couple of years ago).  

Yeah, as much as I like Zajac, whatever numbers he has, he's compiled his way into having them...when you've played well over 1000 games (and have been counted on to provide occasional offense), you'll put up 200+ goals.  It has been fun seeing him put up 14 points in his last 16 GP though.  And no small feat to play as many games as he has...not like tons of players have done it. 

Obviously I don’t have a problem with it, I like that he contributed in his way. But there’s no question, his longevity is the reason he scored those goals.

12 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

That’s right, I forgot you’re not big on acknowledging things that don’t show up on box scores...

No, that’s not it. I just found the way you said it funny. 

I like plenty of things that don’t show up in box scores. I don’t like a supposed #1 center that doesn’t score. I don’t think anyone should. 

Edited by mfitz804

Just now, mfitz804 said:

No, that’s not it. I just found the way you said it funny. 

Well, I didn’t intend it to be. The team was known for defense for like two decades. Zajac probably being the 2nd best two-way forward we’ve ever had after only Madden (who won a Selke) is pretty good. It wasn’t meant as a backhanded compliment. 

2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Well, I didn’t intend it to be. The team was known for defense for like two decades. Zajac probably being the 2nd best two-way forward we’ve ever had after only Madden (who won a Selke) is pretty good. It wasn’t meant as a backhanded compliment. 

I didn’t think it was. It just struck me as funny, that’s all. 

I do agree with you though. Hard to beat Madden. I used to look forward to penalty killing when that guy was on our team. 

7 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I didn’t think it was. It just struck me as funny, that’s all. 

I do agree with you though. Hard to beat Madden. I used to look forward to penalty killing when that guy was on our team

Madden was my favorite player for this reason. He was just so tenacious and scrappy and seemed to come up with short handed chances all the time. Him and Pandolfo were a dynamic duo on the PK

• Like 1

Just now, Bonginator11 said:

Madden was my favorite player for this reason. He was just so tenacious and scrappy and seemed to come up with short handed chances all the time. Him and Pandolfo were a dynamic duo on the PK

Absolutely, that was so fun to watch. You never get like you were just killing a penalty, it was almost like you knew that was going to happen and you only had to think about what else they could accomplish on the PK. 

Just now, Nicomo said:

Yep. I loved Madden. Easily my favorite Devils player who’s jersey isn’t hanging in the rafters at the Rock. 

There’s a good argument for that. 

I once helped him pick out a tie while shopping in Bloomingdale’s in the Short Hills Mall. I then bought the same one lol. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

No, I don't think so but he has in my opinion been the most consistent player the Devils have had over his tenure with the Devils. He has been a solid two way center that played 5 on 5 and PK. I just think he deserves a little love from a fan. So I pointed out his accomplishments. Do you agree regarding him or not?

1 minute ago, Brewskies said:

No, I don't think so but he has in my opinion been the most consistent player the Devils have had over his tenure with the Devils. He has been a solid two way center that played 5 on 5 and PK. I just think he deserves a little love from a fan. So I pointed out his accomplishments. Do you agree regarding him or not?

I like Travis a lot. He has been consistent scoring goals in the teens per season for years. 

The only point I was making was that it was more his longevity than his offensive prowess that led to 202 goals. I don’t think anyone can legitimately dispute that. 

• Like 1

Speaking of Madden, I always think about this assist he had on probably the nicest shorty Gionta has scored.  (Warning: This video was probably filmed using a toaster)

And side note, when I was looking for that replay, I found this and goddamn, it really brought up some feels.

21 minutes ago, Crisis said:

And side note, when I was looking for that replay, I found this and goddamn, it really brought up some feels.

Man, healthy prime Kovalchuk in full stride was truly a thing of beauty.

Just an absolute freak of nature physically.