New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

49 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wasn’t it part of the story that the guy from the training staff basically saved his life by sticking his finger in the wound to try to block off the bleeding? 

Still one of the freakiest things you’ll ever see during a sporting event. 

If I remember right, the other teams staff had a guy who was able to do a tracheotomy right on the ice so he at least had oxygen. 

Pure luck that they were playing someone with a staff member with that ability. 

Edit: I read up on it, I guess that was urban legend. The Sabres athletic trainer Steve Pizzutelli saved his life by physically pinching off the blood vessel. 

Edited by Devil Dan 56

44 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Wasn’t it part of the story that the guy from the training staff basically saved his life by sticking his finger in the wound to try to block off the bleeding? 

Still one of the freakiest things you’ll ever see during a sporting event. 

Yeah, that was part of the story indeed.

I can't imagine ever witnessing something like that in person.  I went to two different sporting events where a player had to have his neck stabilized before he could be taken off on a stretcher...Petr Svoboda was one of them.  That was this game:

FLYERS' SVOBODA IS RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL AN ELBOW TO THE HEAD BY MONTREAL'S MARC BUREAU CAUSED THE PHILLY DEFENSEMAN TO SUFFER A CONCUSSION AND LACERATIONS. - The Morning Call (mcall.com)

A bud of mine who was a Flyer fan had an extra ticket, and I hadn't yet been to the Flyers' "new" (back then) building.  It was a little scary...Svoboda wasn't moving at all for a while.  

8 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

If I remember right, the other teams staff had a guy who was able to do a tracheotomy right on the ice so he at least had oxygen. 

Pure luck that they were playing someone with a staff member with that ability. 

Kind of like with Zednik. I have read that if he hadn't had the power to skate himself to the bench as fast as he did he likely would have died.

6 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

There's some really good articles about that whole thing...what Malarchuk was thinking as all of that was happening...he basically wanted to get off the ice as quickly as possibly so his mother wouldn't see him die on TV.

Going off the top of my head but I think he was back playing again within a couple of weeks.  

There is a really good documentary from 2015 on his story Goalie: Life and Death in the crease. 

Talks about his attempted suicide due to the PTSD and issues with his OCD. 

Really glad he has come through it all. 

25 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Just found this chart on Reddit. Supposedly it shows that we are doing much better with Johnsson on the ice, and he’s just unlucky. 

51142865393_98c4d03fa7_c.jpg

Dude, I was laughing about this one this morning.  Look at this guy's comment.  I don't think anyone on this board is THAT subscribed to adv stats to actually think it's an advantage having Johnsson on the ice.

image.png.24e41fefa17ad2140e6b75ef1dbeea2c.png

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Crisis said:

Dude, I was laughing about this one this morning.  Look at this guy's comment.  I don't think anyone on this board is THAT subscribed to adv stats to actually think it's an advantage having Johnsson on the ice.

I don’t know man, I think I’m all in on this stuff now. It’s better than thinking we suck and we’re in last place. We’re awesome and we’re in last place!!

1 minute ago, DevsMan84 said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

They literally clown themselves.

The main color used for the special teams is at least fitting.

They're sh!tty no matter who is on the ice.  

19 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Not sure if posted yet, but Friedman saying NJD trying to extend Fitz. 

image.thumb.png.afb0b072ba7c991cd65de8c88cb45ca1.png

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/31-thoughts-turner-sports-tv-deal-means-nhl/sn-amp/?__twitter_impression=true

7. Is New Jersey working towards an extension with Tom Fitzgerald as general manager? Sounds like it. He has term on his contract, but only this season as GM. The last couple of weeks were very hard — especially that late collapse Sunday against Philadelphia — but, generally, the team is moving in the right direction. Just imagine if they get the No. 1 pick for the third time in five years.

12 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

7. Is New Jersey working towards an extension with Tom Fitzgerald as general manager? Sounds like it. He has term on his contract, but only this season as GM. The last couple of weeks were very hard — especially that late collapse Sunday against Philadelphia — but, generally, the team is moving in the right direction. Just imagine if they get the No. 1 pick for the third time in five years.

I think I would enjoy the reaction around the league as much as the player the Devils would get.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Crisis said:

The “muh points” guy really is missing the point of advanced stats. These kinds of comments really make those types of stats less credible to everyone else. 

11 minutes ago, nessus said:

The “muh points” guy really is missing the point of advanced stats. These kinds of comments really make those types of stats less credible to everyone else. 

So does saying they show Andreas Johnsson makes us better. 

• Like 1

On 4/27/2021 at 10:36 AM, NJDevils1214 said:

Kind of like with Zednik. I have read that if he hadn't had the power to skate himself to the bench as fast as he did he likely would have died.

Zednik also benefited from the fact the trainer/doc on staff was the same one who saved Malarchuk

• Like 1