New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

Didn’t need the word “Binghamton” on there, but I don’t hate it. 

Yeah, pretty much my reaction...it's OK...I'd ditch the Binghamton too.  Depending on how you look at the pitchfork, it looks like, well, a pitchfork...or a skinny red lizard about to crawl forwards. 

For the Utica jerseys, I'd love to just go back to the old red and greens, with the horned and tailed "U"...why not?

I'd still approve the heritage and RR jerseys becoming the Devils full-time jerseys (either with the green or the green swapped out for black), with the "old" red and blacks as a third...but I know that's never happening. 

3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

i wouldn’t be surprised. 

How long is his contract for?  

23 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

How long is his contract for?  

I actually don’t know and CapFriendly has it as “unknown”. But, he’s a coach, and teams don’t seem to worry about coaches’ contracts when deciding to let them go. 

1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

I actually don’t know and CapFriendly has it as “unknown”. But, he’s a coach, and teams don’t seem to worry about coaches’ contracts when deciding to let them go. 

Yeah searched for that info and couldn’t find anything.  I’d be surprised if they bailed on him after just one season, but it happens.  And maybe both ownership and Fitz are a little more trigger-happy after Hynes was allowed to stick around too long. 

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah searched for that info and couldn’t find anything.  I’d be surprised if they bailed on him after just one season, but it happens.  And maybe both ownership and Fitz are a little more trigger-happy after Hynes was allowed to stick around too long. 

I certainly don’t think there is a performance based reason to do it. But if the theory is a super young team could benefit more from a younger coach, I can certainly see the argument. Though I also see the benefit in having an older, more authoritative coach rather than someone who is “one of the guys” as well. 

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I mean, “gap coaches” in sports absolutely exist...if there are no ideal options and you know you’re going to suck the next year or two anyway, hire someone who will start to establish a culture and then fire him for your top choice right before your fortunes take a turn.

kinda like the yankees with schowalter. 

And, add to that we don’t really know how long Ruff is under contract for. I can’t imagine it was a one year deal but who knows. 

If they want to hire Swedish guy, they can give him assistant job for the beginning. Successful or not, Ruff is very experienced guy and that move can help Gronborg.

Edited by Guadana
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I completely forgot that TimeWarner no longer owned AOL and forgot Verizon owned them and Yahoo.  I still have a yahoo email address that use to put down on promotions/contests that I don't want people/companies to send to my real one.

Call me old-school, but I still kinda miss AIM.  Those were the days.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I wouldn't be surprised about Ruff.  At best he was their 3rd choice after Gallant said he had no interest in the Devils coaching job and Laviollette said he would do it for a lot of money and term.

Come to think of it, he was a perfect "could go either way" hire...good enough in that he had a ton of experience and a winning point% as a head coach and enough success to command some respect, but not owning a resume so amazing that the Devils letting him go after one season would seem like a major travesty, if the season went badly enough.  We don't know how long his contract was, but I'm guessing it might have only been for a couple of years...I don't remember him being in very high demand when the Devils hired him.

I would still be shocked by a move like that though...if anything (pure speculation on my part), I could see something happening behind the scenes, where Ruff "resigns" (I wonder how thrilled he was to have nASS on his staff).  Even if some fans aren't fully sold on him (I can understand why), I'm not sure how much of this season really falls on him.  Unless there's this "gotta have him" candidate out there who's available and who definitely wants to come here, I'd give Ruff another shot, with some new assistant coaches.    

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Come to think of it, he was a perfect "could go either way" hire...good enough in that he had a ton of experience and a winning point% as a head coach and enough success to command some respect, but not owning a resume so amazing that the Devils letting him go after one season would seem like a major travesty, if the season went badly enough.  We don't know how long his contract was, but I'm guessing it might have only been for a couple of years...I don't remember him being in very high demand when the Devils hired him.

I would still be shocked by a move like that though...if anything (pure speculation on my part), I could see something happening behind the scenes, where Ruff "resigns" (I wonder how thrilled he was to have nASS on his staff).  Even if some fans aren't fully sold on him (I can understand why), I'm not sure how much of this season really falls on him.  Unless there's this "gotta have him" candidate out there who's available and who definitely wants to come here, I'd give Ruff another shot, with some new assistant coaches.    

While I wouldn't put the season on Ruff's shoulders, I guess how much is on him depends on if Nass and Recchi were his choices, or choices that was forced on him by Fitz and/or ownership.

I really look forward to the day when Nass is no longer behind the bench.  I would take literally anyone over him right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A quick google search and I can't find a single thing about it. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to wait around and coach another expansion team, considering how well it went the first time, but I'm pretty in tune with Devils news and it sorta feels like you just made that up lol.

I don’t know if it’s true, but that was certainly the narrative at the time.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think we were interested in him, but he couldn’t come over here because he was under contract still with his current team in Europe or something. 

I keep seeing his name come up. What's the deal with him? Why does everyone seem to think he's a sure thing?