New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

10 hours ago, Lateralous said:

Overall, I really like this summary but my only question is why does it seem like so many of you are hellbent on RD?   If we are going to get where we want to go, we really need 2 more top 4 D (yes I consider Severson a good #4) and preferably both are top pair guys, one for either side.   I love Ty Smith but he seems like a really good #3 in the mold of Ryan Ellis in Nashville to me.  Even if you want to argue Smith is our top guy on the left side going forward, we still need to acquire a top 4 for either side so why does it matter if its Power, Hughes or Clarke?   

Because we have a lot to develope on the left side and absolutely nothing on the right.

16 hours ago, devlman said:

His defensive game really improved this season. That to me is extremely encouraging that he seems to have figured out that side of the game so soon.

I’ve said it one other time before, but Hughes probably could be killing penalties.

Edited by Jerrydevil

27 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

He’d need to get the giveaways under control first. 

For sure. But the way the puck always seems to find his stick and the way he can create turnovers at even strength makes me think he could kill penalties. It'd be nice to have an offensive threat on the PK, too, but that's secondary.

This team as constructed will again not make playoffs next year. (not splitting the atom here). Whomever we draft will be a couples years away. Couple vets 25-30 yrs old w/ grit would be the fo schizzle.  

3 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

This team as constructed will again not make playoffs next year. (not splitting the atom here). Whomever we draft will be a couples years away. Couple vets 25-30 yrs old w/ grit would be the fo schizzle.  

You very well might be right. But I wouldn't write them off if they don't land a big fish. Sometimes there are answers from within and players get better. We saw several players take big leaps this year and it could happen next year, too. I'm pretty sure we need a better goalie to go along with Blackwood, though. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

He’d need to get the giveaways under control first. 

It`s his offensive problem.  He shoud be stronger to play in PK.

If someone say "blablabla another season of dissapoitment blablabla", punch him in his face.

Edited by Guadana

16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I believe Pablo Picasso said “Every act of creation starts with an act of destruction”. 

I think we saw the final part of that act  of destruction this season. Now we create. 

I think we saw the first part of creation. With a lot of mistakes on the way. 

On 5/12/2021 at 3:32 PM, Guadana said:

It`s his offensive problem.  He shoud be stronger to play in PK.

If someone say "blablabla another season of dissapoitment blablabla", punch him in his face.

Yeah this season has been full of very encouraging surprises

Sharangovich literally coming out of nowhere during training camp. Not a single soul here predicted him in the lineup and he wasnt even on anyone's radar. Came in and had an amazing season. 

Smith who some thought might not be that great after failing to make the team after such a strong showing in his first camp. Came in and had an amazing season.

Jack took an extra step and showed that he could be a very solid player in the future.

Wood who we all wanted as our bait for seatle also came out flying and showed that we need someone like him in the lineup.

Nico missed a lot of time but was a difference maker when he came back.

Our core is pretty solid and most of our losses were by 1 goal and the team never gave up.

I'm still not high at all on Holtz but hopefully he becomes at least what sharangovich is doing now and with Mercer and whoever we're drafting this year. All i see is potential ahead and it sure beats the feeling i had earlier this decade looking at no future at all.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I don’t think Not a single soul)

and I don’t think Holtz will do what Sharangovich did this year. Would be good if he will be some king of “PP version” of him.

Like Victor Olafsson? Have a power play shot and basically provide nothing else? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Like Victor Olafsson? Have a power play shot and basically provide nothing else? 

I watched about 20 of his SHL games this year, all wjc and 4-5 AHL games. Of course he is very young. Anyway I like his shot, I have questions about his... shot positioning work(sorry I don’t know how formulate it correctly). He wait a shot and stayin on one place too long for NHL temp of game. He should work more to skate and be in the place in the right time. I like his passing. He has pretty good vision and good hands. He is not Jack Hughes, but he has some ceiling there.

Other than that - he is a passenger. If he will score 25-35+ goals - who cares.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Guadana said:

I watched about 20 of his SHL games this year, all wjc and 4-5 AHL games. Of course he is very young. Anyway I like his shot, I have questions about his... shot positioning work(sorry I don’t know how formulate it correctly). He wait a shot and stayin on one place too long for NHL temp of game. He should work more to skate and be in the place in the right time. I like how his passing. He has pretty good vision and good hands. He is not Jack Hughes, but he has some ceiling there.

Other than that - he is a passenger. If he will score 25-35+ goals - who cares.

If he plays with Hughes he'll only have to do the minimum anyway. Jack does 90% of the work to create opportunities, he just needs to take the shot 

• Like 3