Jump to content

New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season


Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

I admit it...I didn't.  They seemed to work, just seemed to click, seemed to genuinely enjoy each other's company.  But not like I had much to go on.  

As someone in the beginning stages of divorce (a breakup if there ever was one), I can tell you it's a (CLICHE WARNING) true rollercoaster of emotions...and from day to day, your feelings can change so drastically...at times it's almost a peaceful "I got this" fairly serene calm, and you're feeling strong, and at others it's "Am I ever going to get through this and find true happiness again?  How do I get to the other side?"...you feel defeated, stressed, every negative feeling that you can have all rolled into one.  And of course it's not like the rest of your life goes on pause while you're dealing with all of it...I still have my daughter who needs me (and who I need), not mention that I still have to run my business and be productive.  Work in a way has become my sanctuary, a place where I can kinda-sorta not think about things too too much, and am surrounded by great and loyal employees...but of course, the "What happens next?" feeling is never truly in the back of my mind...it's always there, near the front.

Who knows, maybe hockey and "being with the guys" will be a good thing for PK.  What I find kind of sad is that some people almost assume celebs (due to many celebs being wealthy or the belief that they "can get anyone or anything that they want", due to their status) don't hurt after something like this in the same way that "normal" people do...that they just shake it right off like an annoying gnat, and that's that.  PK and Lindsey were engaged and planning on spending the rest of their lives together...in some ways, that concept is probably a dated belief these days...people change and evolve (or don't evolve), things happen...but even when the day comes when you come to the painful realization that it's just not meant to be, that you're no longer truly compatible even if you still care deeply for each other, there's still a lot of mourning over what is lost and what is ending.  And fear of what may lie ahead.

I don't think much of PK the hockey player, and he can be polarizing, but he strikes me as a guy whose heart is usually in the right place.  Hope he gets through this.  

Yeah really sorry that you're dealing with that pal. It's obviously part of life and almost everyone goes through it but it sucks nonetheless. I know the time you spent with your daughter watching games or wtv was always very very special to you, you brought it up very often here so I hope that through this these moments become even more meaningful than you could ever imagine.

46 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

I didn’t, to be honest. They seemed happy. They just got engaged last year.

 

34 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

PK seemed to get on her nerves a bit in some of their YouTube videos. It’s no secret he can be a bit much. 

I don't think i'd make anyone fall off their chair saying that I don't follow PK or his wife on social media lol But they seemed happy and i didnt see it coming either but then that's what social media is haha all our friends look incredibly happy online until boom they break up. Sad reality. I honestly thought maybe she was able to keep him grounded and more focused.

I will repeat that I think PK is a really good dude with a big heart. And i honestly wouldn't mind sitting with him to have a beer and chat. He's likely a lot of fun to hangout with and have a bunch of funny story to tell. But like you said, it's no secret that he can be a bit much and one of those people who you can only handle small doses of here and there haha so i'm not surprised to hear that he seem to be getting on her nerves at times, cause well we've all heard of his teammates and coaches who couldnt stand him at times

Hopefully this all lead to some reflection and what's best for them and selfishly hopefully what's best for the team for the remaining of his contract

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dare I say he’s.... jacked? 🤪

Going forward we clearly have to stay away from goalies named Cory/Corey

https://www.instagram.com/p/CHqe_woHD1F/?fbclid=IwAR0W-ZcYmSi-17zxmW_rusasyUOv-jt_Y1Ige71YWc7V9y2WSKMf9ITaMN0 ahahaha

Posted Images

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

Yeah really sorry that you're dealing with that pal. It's obviously part of life and almost everyone goes through it but it sucks nonetheless. I know the time you spent with your daughter watching games or wtv was always very very special to you, you brought it up very often here so I hope that through this these moments become even more meaningful than you could ever imagine.

Yeah I love spending time with my daughter...we've always enjoyed watching games together (it will be nice to have that again soon), and doing a lot of other things.  We play Scrabble just about every night...the games get to be rather heated, heh heh.

The good thing is that my wife and I are getting along pretty well and neither one of us are out to get each other...we both love our daughter equally and trying to hurt each other will only hurt her in the end...neither one of us want that.  As a family (the three of us doing things together), we still work pretty well...hoping that once the dust has settled, and we're past it all, that we're still friends...even though a lot of divorces are painted as former spouses having to hate each other and looking to screw over one another at every opportunity, I've seen my fair share of divorced couples who actually get along quite well, and are truly friends after the fact...and can even still do things together with their kids.   

Re:  the bolded, sure, almost everyone goes through breakups, but hopefully almost everyone isn't going through a divorce, heh heh.  What's funny is I'll hear older people (I'm not far from being an "older people" myself) talk about how married couples don't stick things out like they used to, but I think it's more that people are recognizing more than ever that you don't have to stay in an unhappy and unrewarding situation for the sake of "sticking things out"...there's no trophy given later for staying in a meh-ish marriage.  Women also have more opportunities now than they did several years ago...sad truth is many of them "stuck things out" (even if the hubby was physically and/or mentally abusive) because they had no choices or anywhere else to go.

And as far as PK and Lindsey go, even though they're probably both hurting in ways, good for them for realizing that something wasn't right, and not just staying on a predetermined path for the sake of not wanting to rock the boat, or trying to force something that shouldn't be forced...sometimes, sh!t does need some serious re-evaluation.  So many people don't do that (I've known a few), and stay locked in no matter what.  I've had a couple of friends (several years ago) actually say things like "Everything for the wedding is already booked and paid for", or "Her parents are going to be so pissed if I call this off now."  Actual quotes.  I knew someone else who didn't want to break off an increasingly hostile engagement because he didn't want to admit to those who had told him that he and his mate weren't that good for each other that they were right (of course, they WERE right, completely).  I had another engaged bud who realized that he wasn't truly happy, and he called off his wedding just two weeks before the wedding date...her parents went ballistic, and he dealt with his share of grief from her family.  I always admired him for following his heart and doing what he had to, even if his moment of clarity came very late (and for knowing that he was going to get slammed for it by multiple circles).  He met the right person in time and they're still going strong today.  

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Yeah I love spending time with my daughter...we've always enjoyed watching games together (it will be nice to have that again soon), and doing a lot of other things.  We play Scrabble just about every night...the games get to be rather heated, heh heh.

The good thing is that my wife and I are getting along pretty well and neither one of us are out to get each other...we both love our daughter equally and trying to hurt each other will only hurt her in the end...neither one of us want that.  As a family (the three of us doing things together), we still work pretty well...hoping that once the dust has settled, and we're past it all, that we're still friends...even though a lot of divorces are painted as former spouses having to hate each other and looking to screw over one another at every opportunity, I've seen my fair share of divorced couples who actually get along quite well, and are truly friends after the fact...and can even still do things together with their kids.   

Re:  the bolded, sure, almost everyone goes through breakups, but hopefully almost everyone isn't going through a divorce, heh heh.  What's funny is I'll hear older people (I'm not far from being an "older people" myself) talk about how married couples don't stick things out like they used to, but I think it's more that people are recognizing more than ever that you don't have to stay in an unhappy and unrewarding situation for the sake of "sticking things out"...there's no trophy given later for staying in a meh-ish marriage.  Women also have more opportunities now than they did several years ago...sad truth is many of them "stuck things out" (even if the hubby was physically and/or mentally abusive) because they had no choices or anywhere else to go.

And as far as PK and Lindsey go, even though they're probably both hurting in ways, good for them for realizing that something wasn't right, and not just staying on a predetermined path for the sake of not wanting to rock the boat, or trying to force something that shouldn't be forced...sometimes, sh!t does need some serious re-evaluation.  So many people don't that (I've known a few), and stay locked in no matter what.  I've had a couple of friends (several years ago) actually say things like "Everything for the wedding is already booked and paid for", or "Her parents are going to be so pissed if I call this off now."  Actual quotes.  I knew someone else who didn't want to break off an increasingly hostile engagement because he didn't want to admit to those who had told him that he and his mate weren't that good for each other that they were right (of course, they WERE right, completely).  I had another engaged bud who realized that he wasn't truly happy, and he called off his wedding just two weeks before the wedding date...her parents went ballistic, and he dealt with his share of grief from her family.  I always admired him for following his heart and doing what he had to, even if his moment of clarity came very late (and for knowing that he was going to get slammed for it by multiple circles).  He met the right person in time and they're still going strong today.  

I want to say something, but I can't find the right words. Especially in a public place. We can argue as much as we want about such little things as understanding hockey, but this is real life. More important than the start of the season, the success of prospects and other things. People have been finding ways of conflict for centuries, but so far they have not found working methods of getting out of conflicts. I admire the fact that you and your ex-wife find opportunities for adequate communication and joint education of your daughter.

Edited by Guadana
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mean to interrupt the current thoughts since they're sensitive and good-spirited, but switching gears back to hockey for a moment... NBC released the NHL's TV schedule for this upcoming season, and we don't have a single game :(  We're not alone though, upon quick observation it looks like we're joined by Ottawa, Anaheim, Vancouver, Calgary and San Jose.  Full schedule is below - apologies if it's already been posted.

 

 

NBCSN 2020-21 NHL Wednesday Night Hockey Presented by New Amsterdam Vodka (subject to change):

Date Away Home
January 13* Pittsburgh Philadelphia
  Chicago Tampa Bay
  St. Louis Colorado
January 20 Edmonton Toronto
January 27 Chicago Nashville
February 3 Boston Philadelphia
February 10 Boston N.Y. Rangers
February 17 Chicago Detroit
February 24 N.Y. Rangers Philadelphia
March 3 Washington Boston
March 10 Vegas Minnesota
March 17 Philadelphia N.Y. Rangers
March 24 Buffalo Pittsburgh
March 31 Arizona St. Louis
April 7 Montreal Toronto
April 14 Vegas Los Angeles
April 21 Nashville Chicago
April 28 St. Louis Minnesota
May 5 Washington N.Y. Rangers

*Opening night

 

 

NHL ON NBC 2020-21 SCHEDULE

Date Away Home
Sun., January 17 Washington Pittsburgh
Sun., January 24 Detroit Chicago
Sun., February 7 Philadelphia Washington
Sun., February 14 Washington Pittsburgh
Sat., February 20 Vegas Colorado
Sun., February 21 Philadelphia Boston
Sun., February 28 Boston N.Y. Rangers
Sun., March 7 Buffalo N.Y. Islanders
Sun., March 28 N.Y. Rangers Washington
Sun., April 4 Detroit Tampa Bay
Sat., April 17 Pittsburgh Buffalo
Sun., April 18 Washington Boston
Sat., April 24 Colorado St. Louis
Sun., April 25 Boston Pittsburgh
Sun., May 2 Tampa Bay Detroit
Sat., May 8 TBD

TBD

 

Date Away Home
February 14 Colorado Vegas
February 21 Florida Detroit
February 28 Detroit Chicago
March 7 N.Y. Rangers Pittsburgh
March 14 Los Angeles Colorado
March 21 Vegas Los Angeles
March 28 Nashville Chicago
April 4 Dallas Carolina
April 18 N.Y. Islanders Philadelphia
April 25 Columbus Tampa Bay
Edited by NJDfan1711
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, apparently Bratt is playing in Sweden (is he part of WJC or something?) and it's been rumored that he won't be ready/able to play come January 13th, on account of the mandatory two week isolation.  I'm far from being in the know on all of the "rules" when it comes to Covid, but that sounds plausible to me, and if true, would really suck.  If Nico's already going to be out we sure as hell don't need to be missing Bratt on top of that. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, apparently Bratt is playing in Sweden (is he part of WJC or something?) and it's been rumored that he won't be ready/able to play come January 13th, on account of the mandatory two week isolation.  I'm far from being in the know on all of the "rules" when it comes to Covid, but that sounds plausible to me, and if true, would really suck.  If Nico's already going to be out we sure as hell don't need to be missing Bratt on top of that. 

If that’s true, he shouldn’t be playing. Responsibility #1 is in New Jersey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Also, apparently Bratt is playing in Sweden (is he part of WJC or something?) and it's been rumored that he won't be ready/able to play come January 13th, on account of the mandatory two week isolation.  I'm far from being in the know on all of the "rules" when it comes to Covid, but that sounds plausible to me, and if true, would really suck.  If Nico's already going to be out we sure as hell don't need to be missing Bratt on top of that. 

Where have you read this? Can't find any information about that in Swedish newspapers.

Latest information about this is he is training on ice together with some guys that's in the same situation, and also focusing on building up his body. I know he also trained on ice with Patrick Hörnqvist.

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, hrasvalg said:

Where have you read this? Can't find any information about that in Swedish newspapers.

Latest information about this is he is training on ice together with some guys that's in the same situation, and also focusing on building up his body. I know he also trained on ice with Patrick Hörnqvist.

This isn't the exact article I read, but it was published today (Dec 30th) and it mentions basically the same thing, i.e. that Bratt is practicing in Sweden and could miss some or all of training camp, and possibly the start of the season depending on if/when he's signed and returns to the U.S.:  New Jersey Devils News & Rumors: Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt & More (thehockeywriters.com)

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

This isn't the exact article I read, but it was published today (Dec 30th) and it mentions basically the same thing, i.e. that Bratt is practicing in Sweden and could miss some or all of training camp, and possibly the start of the season depending on if/when he's signed and returns to the U.S.:  New Jersey Devils News & Rumors: Nico Hischier, Jesper Bratt & More (thehockeywriters.com)

 

I forgot he doesn’t have a contract. Responsibility #1 is to himself. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I forgot he doesn’t have a contract. Responsibility #1 is to himself. 

Yeah for sure, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I don't know why him not having a contract would preclude him from returning to the U.S.  Maybe they're actually two separate things, though if it's not an issue then I'm not quite sure why he wouldn't already have returned to the U.S. once an opening date for the season was announced, but either way I just wanted to share what I read about him possibly being delayed joining camp or even the regular season.

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah for sure, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I don't know why him not having a contract would preclude him from returning to the U.S.  Maybe they're actually two separate things, though if it's not an issue then I'm not quite sure why he wouldn't already have returned to the U.S. once an opening date for the season was announced, but either way I just wanted to share what I read about him possibly being delayed joining camp or even the regular season.

Work visa? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NJDfan1711 said:

Yeah for sure, I didn't mean to suggest otherwise.  I don't know why him not having a contract would preclude him from returning to the U.S.  Maybe they're actually two separate things, though if it's not an issue then I'm not quite sure why he wouldn't already have returned to the U.S. once an opening date for the season was announced, but either way I just wanted to share what I read about him possibly being delayed joining camp or even the regular season.

If he has no contract, he has no reason to return to the US. Coming to the US like he’s ready to start without having a contract would weaken his position. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Work visa? 

That didn't even cross my mind, I was just assuming he was a U.S. citizen with dual citizenship, but since he's only 22 then that's probably not the case, so you might be right. 

42 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

If he has no contract, he has no reason to return to the US. Coming to the US like he’s ready to start without having a contract would weaken his position. 

That didn't cross my mind either, and that could also be true, but being only 22 and not exactly having any real amazing seasons under his belt yet, I'm not sure how much bargaining power he really has.  With him still being a young kid so to speak and still somewhat in the "prove it" phase of his career, that it would look better on him to show up early, contract or not, and show his commitment to the team. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Going back to the work visa thing, it really has me intrigued.  I mean, Bratt's an RFA, so would he technically be considered "unemployed"?  Since we still have his rights, I would imagine he's considered employed, just not with a valid contract at the moment.  But, just for argument's sake, if for some strange reason he is actually considered unemployed, are work visas usually/only issued based on conditions of employment?  I wonder if they are issued with expiration dates, similar to a driver's license, so that perhaps they don't necessarily coincide with his actual team contract.  Just thinking here.   I guess there are a few variables at play.

Edited by NJDfan1711
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, NJDfan1711 said:

That didn't even cross my mind, I was just assuming he was a U.S. citizen with dual citizenship, but since he's only 22 then that's probably not the case, so you might be right. 

That didn't cross my mind either, and that could also be true, but being only 22 and not exactly having any real amazing seasons under his belt yet, I'm not sure how much bargaining power he really has.  With him still being a young kid so to speak and still somewhat in the "prove it" phase of his career, that it would look better on him to show up early, contract or not, and show his commitment to the team. 

It would definitely be a better look if he was here ready to go, but if they are offering him a million per and he’s looking for 5 million (I don’t know what he wants), the threat of playing in Europe could be a bargaining chip. And one he loses if he is in New Jersey. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I decided to try to answer my own question, and there is some good information here:  https://usimmigrationlaw.net/athletes-2/

Looks like he wouldn't qualify for the O-1 visa as apparently that's strictly for the freak of nature, once-in-a-lifetime type athletes, and for the P-1 visa he would indeed need an active contract, but the H-2B visa might be something he can get.

Also, there's some interesting legal jargon in what it takes to be issued a visa, which seems quite easy to obtain.  The last three bullet points on this list seem intentionally vague/easy to qualify for:

  • Receipt of lesser recognized prizes or awards for excellence;
  • Membership in associations requiring as a condition of membership outstanding achievements as adjudged by recognized experts;
  • Published material in professional or major trade publications or major media about the person and his or her work;
  • Participation as a judge of others in the field;
  • Performance in a critical role for an organization with a distinguished reputation; and
  • Command of a high salary or other high remuneration.

Basically he could have some website or newspaper write a column about him (which has obviously happened), have the team vouche for the criticality of his role (we lack depth and suck, so we need him lol), and commanding a high salary is probably something that could be argued....maybe not in terms of his peers, but certainly compared to mine or the average Joe's lol

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

It would definitely be a better look if he was here ready to go, but if they are offering him a million per and he’s looking for 5 million (I don’t know what he wants), the threat of playing in Europe could be a bargaining chip. And one he loses if he is in New Jersey. 

Well yeah, but that's assuming the threat of playing in Europe is something that he's actually interested in, or could live with as a backup plan if they called his bluff.  I know some guys like that, but I think there's a reason most of them still come to the U.S. to play (the NHL is regarded as the best league in the world, and the U.S. is a pretty good place to live, all things considered).  So unless you're Kovalfvck, he may not want to use the leverage of his hometown.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s just how you negotiate. I threaten things I have no intention of doing in negotiations all the time. You have to know what you can get away with. 

Again, I’m not saying he’s doing it, or that he has any intention or desire to play in Europe, I’m just saying, if it’s a tactic in negotiations, it’s less convincing if he’s hanging around the arena in full gear lol. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

It’s just how you negotiate. I threaten things I have no intention of doing in negotiations all the time. You have to know what you can get away with. 

Again, I’m not saying he’s doing it, or that he has any intention or desire to play in Europe, I’m just saying, if it’s a tactic in negotiations, it’s less convincing if he’s hanging around the arena in full gear lol. 

Tell me about it.

I once threaten i'd rip my dick off and feed it to my uncle's cows if i didn't get a raise. I didn't get it.

ultimately i think it was just a bad timing

Edited by SterioDesign
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

Tell me about it.

I once threaten i'd rip my dick off and feed it to my uncle's cows if i didn't get a raise. I didn't get it.

ultimately i think it was just a bad timing

Hey at least the cow wasn’t hungry. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.