New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

9 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Well Jonathan Toews kind of did. He didnt know what was up and why he didnt have energy etc etc

But he is out due to illness, whether or not he knows what it is. That’s different than just leaving with no acknowledgement as to why.

If Crawford came forward and said the same thing, everyone would just say “I hope he feels better”. Not saying anything invites speculation. 

1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

I get that. It's all assumptions.

But say your wife usually get home from work around 5 but has a history of stopping by the grocery store on her way back from work from time to time.

So it's 5:45 and she's not home. Are you going to assume right away she's out cheating and tell people? before assuming she's simply at the grocery store which would make a lot of sense. To me it would be a dick move to assume that if she never showed any signs of being a cheater.

point is, if you dont know. at least don't make hurtful assumptions. 

I see you’ve graduated from girlfriend analogies to wife now lol

You're getting old. :P

• Haha 2

48 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

well i dont consider getting vertigo kind of symptoms as been injured either. Maybe he doesn't feel right

41 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Why would he not go on injured reserve if that were the case?

Especially since I think he’d still be getting paid, whereas an indefinite leave, I am not sure he will. 

Just putting this out there, and yes it is according to CapFriendly but:

Toews is on IR

Crawford is on the non-roster player list

I want to believe its vertigo, I really do, but the difference in designations is indicative of it being something else. Could still be mental health, could also be his family.

Either way, yeah there will be 3 games in 4 nights (not quoting mfitz again in the same post), I think Wedg could be that gap filler considering he did with worse lineups in front of him his first time around.

6 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Just putting this out there, and yes it is according to CapFriendly but:

Toews is on IR

Crawford is on the non-roster player list

I want to believe its vertigo, I really do, but the difference in designations is indicative of it being something else. Could still be mental health, could also be his family.

Either way, yeah there will be 3 games in 4 nights (not quoting mfitz again in the same post), I think Wedg could be that gap filler considering he did with worse lineups in front of him his first time around.

oh to be clear. Crawford may very well be reconsidering and having cold feet. i have no idea whats up. And if he's fvcking us over i'll call him out for sure lol I just don't think we should be here saying "he got cold feet and didnt give us 2 weeks notice" when we don't know that he did that

15 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Correct. If it was injury related, they would just say that. The fact that they are staying silent on that makes me thing otherwise.

There were immediate quotes directly from Toews saying it was health related. No reason to hide it. Crawford not doing that, plus the quotes from the players, tells me it’s something else. Especially what Zajac said. It’s up to him whether he wants to be here. That’s not something you say if you know a guy left because of a family medical issue. Nobody would ever imply “yeah, he could go home to his sick kid (or whatever), but he could be here if he wanted to”. 

That makes me thinks it’s in Crawford’s head, whether it’s a mental issue or just not wanting to be here (or, could be, depression/anxiety BECAUSE he doesn’t want to be here). 

I know that one cannot control anxiety and depression quite so easily as people who have never suffered from those conditions think, and I don’t say “in his head” to minimize it, I only mean to say that it’s mental and not physical. If that’s what it is, I hope he gets better.

The only “fvck Crawford” option, in my opinion, is just changing his mind and bailing. 

• Like 3

Agreed. It's personal related, and the smoke signal is alluding to something to do with just not wanting to play, whether it be family in Chicago while he's in NJ, or he's had a long career - and maybe he's just done. I'm worried more about cap implications than anything, and for that - I'm annoyed. I'm hoping they can clinically diagnose him with something and we can LTIR him.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HellOnICE said:

Agreed. It's personal related, and the smoke signal is alluding to something to do with just not wanting to play, whether it be family in Chicago while he's in NJ, or he's had a long career - and maybe he's just done. I'm worried more about cap implications than anything, and for that - I'm annoyed. I'm hoping they can clinically diagnose him with something and we can LTIR him.

That’s a situation where we should just be able to void the guy’s contract. But I guess if we could, everyone would just do that to get rid of a guy. 

14 hours ago, SterioDesign said:

oh to be clear. Crawford may very well be reconsidering and having cold feet. i have no idea whats up. And if he's fvcking us over i'll call him out for sure lol I just don't think we should be here saying "he got cold feet and didnt give us 2 weeks notice" when we don't know that he did that

He has 3 cups, and didn't sign with us for a 4th. He knew damn well before he signed we have 0 chance to win a cup. .He likely went to the highest bidder.

I hope it's not a marital issue ("I'm staying in Chicago w/ the kids") kinda thing.  Personal doesn't sound like anything physical. Wonder if he'll even play a game with us.

4 minutes ago, vadvlfan said:

He has 3 cups, and didn't sign with us for a 4th. He knew damn well before he signed we have 0 chance to win a cup. .He likely went to the highest bidder.

I hope it's not a marital issue ("I'm staying in Chicago w/ the kids") kinda thing.  Personal doesn't sound like anything physical. Wonder if he'll even play a game with us.

God knows, it might not even be him. His wife might have serious illness and he has to deal with that and the kids. Who knows.

Again, out of respect i just don't thnk we should "assume" he's been a jerk. He's very likely dealing with something very sh!tty at the moment

• Like 2

12 hours ago, HellOnICE said:

If he fails to report, or even decides to retire, I have to think that Fitz is calling NHL HQ and making a case that whatever terms are in the CBA are nullified if he doesn't even suit up for a single game. I know there are cap implicated for retirement after a certain age, not that it is going to make or break us, but F-that.

I don't speak French, but I can kinda work out what "annoncera sa retraite" might mean.

Pizza for dinner!

Edited by NJDevils1214

Just now, MadDog2020 said:

I wish him well. I hope everything is okay and he and his family are good.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly. and at least now it's official and we can move on. When they used the word indefinitely I was kind of wondering if he would actually come back and play for us at some point. 

When a guy retires he essentially voids his own contract right? That means we should be off the hook for it?

• Like 1

Just now, Devil Dan 56 said:

I guess he realized he just couldn't do it anymore

05491D15-E695-43E3-BE34-CEC9046428B9.jpeg

If he didn't have this conversation with the devils prior to camp, I reserve the right to be pissed at him for how he handled this.

Just now, NJDevils1214 said:

Well...only 7 months until the draft?

Realistically we could end up picking pretty high, which would be a downer cause then NJ may not pick Hughes #3 😂

Swap Mets and Devils :lol:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1