New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

And man, do they have a sh!t ton of Zacha jerseys in stock.

Funny to see the Reeboks priced so much higher, $995 compared to $595 for Adidas. Quite a difference. I don’t always fully understand their pricing. 

They’re better jerseys, but jeez...

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i will donate $5 to the website if you literally never do this again. 

Dare I say he’s.... jacked? 🤪

lol    

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Nicomo said:

They’re better jerseys, but jeez...

Well, for contrast:

Zajac: Reebok $750, Adidas $695

Severson: Reebok $750 (on the high, some are cheaper), $595 Adidas (on the low, some are higher). There are at least one of each brand priced at $695. 

Palmieri: $795 Reebok, $750 Adidas. 

Meanwhile Pavel’s differ in price by $400?

4 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well, for contrast:

Zajac: Reebok $750, Adidas $695

Severson: Reebok $750 (on the high, some are cheaper), $595 Adidas (on the low, some are higher). There are at least one of each brand priced at $695. 

Palmieri: $795 Reebok, $750 Adidas. 

Meanwhile Pavel’s differ in price by $400?

That is strange indeed. Zacha’s jerseys are an enigma, just like him lol

• Haha 1

I’ve still not pulled the trigger on a GW (bought my first GI a while back and turned it into a Hughes), but that Severson at $595 seems like a pretty good deal...

3 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I’ve still not pulled the trigger on a GW (bought my first GI a while back and turned it into a Hughes), but that Severson at $595 seems like a pretty good deal...

I’ve only recently started with GW, but I definitely dove in headfirst lol. 

5 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

And man, do they have a sh!t ton of Zacha jerseys in stock.

Funny to see the Reeboks priced so much higher, $995 compared to $595 for Adidas. Quite a difference. I don’t always fully understand their pricing. 

Their pricing often makes little to no sense, but at least I’ve seen some corrections the last couple of years.  I remember thinking prices for guys like Boucher and Blandisi were out of whack, but most of their jerseys are now priced much more reasonably.

But Henrique’s Devils GWs currently go for $995 (all Adidas, except for one Edge...there is on Adidas Henrique jersey available on consignment for less, at $796).  Palms’ Adidas lot goes for $750 each, with one Edge jersey available for $795...Zajac’s Adidas GWs go for $695, and most of his Edges go $750 (one Edge is available for $695).  Not sure why Henrique should be more expensive than either of those two.

Edited by Colorado Rockies 1976
5 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Definitely some bargains out there, both on Meigray and on eBay.

Keep your eyes open for auctions too...you’d be surprised, in that some lots for whatever the reason don’t get a lot of action (while others just blow up...sometimes there’s a bidder who just decides he’s “gotta have it’”).

I’ve snagged some of my GWs through auctions...one year, just before the switch to the Adidas template, the Devils went through their development camp wearing Edge jerseys (this was 2017)...for some reason, Hischier wore #33 in camp.  I was able to get both a Bratt and a Wood DC jersey (both reds) for very reasonable pricing...about the same as it would have cost to just buy Edge authentics (but they would have been Indos, which weren’t as well made as the Canadian Edges).  The main appeal for me at the time was getting both players on a jersey template that I greatly preferred to the Adidas version.

I was in on the red DC Hischier (a white one that was issued but unworn was also available), but for some reason that one just got completely out of control...it went into the low $2k range before I finally said “Well fvck it, guess there’s somebody out there who REALLY wants it.”  Even his unworn white DC jersey went for a lot...I wanna say $900 or so.

DM84 used to post some auction results in the jersey threads, and there were often surprises from both a bargain and a “The winner paid THAT much for blah blah blah?!” standpoint. Just like Meigray’s pricing, not always much rhyme or reason as to GW costs.

EDIT:  was able to find the DC auction results...my Bratt went for $270 and my Wood for $230.  There were several “no bid” lots (obviously several of these players would never make the big club).  But you had some interesting players (like Blackwood, McLeod, Bastian and Zacha...not sure what numbers they wore) that went for under $200.  For some reason a white Zetterland sold for $310.  Hischier’s worn DC red wound up going for $2370, and unworn white for $870.  No other lots came anywhere near that...the next highest winning bid was $330, for a red Bastian.  

4 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Their pricing often makes little to no sense, but at least I’ve seen some corrections the last couple of years.  I remember thinking prices for guys like Boucher and Blandisi were out of whack, but most of their jerseys are now priced much more reasonably.

But Henrique’s Devils GWs currently go for $995 (all Adidas, except for one Edge...there is on Adidas Henrique jersey available on consignment for less, at $796).  Palms’ Adidas lot goes for $750 each, with one Edge jersey available for $795...Zajac’s Adidas GWs go for $695, and most of his Edges go $750 (one Edge is available for $695).  Not sure why Henrique should be more expensive than either of those two.

Well the Henrique makes a little sense because he was a fan favorite, plus “Henrique Its Over”. Even though they aren’t THAT jersey, he has a place in the team’s lore, so I can see how it would be more money. 

But to compare, shouldn’t Henrique be more than Zacha? And they’re both $995??

3 hours ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Definitely some bargains out there, both on Meigray and on eBay.

Keep your eyes open for auctions too...you’d be surprised, in that some lots for whatever the reason don’t get a lot of action (while others just blow up...sometimes there’s a bidder who just decides he’s “gotta have it’”).

I’ve snagged some of my GWs through auctions...one year, just before the switch to the Adidas template, the Devils went through their development camp wearing Edge jerseys (this was 2017)...for some reason, Hischier wore #33 in camp.  I was able to get both a Bratt and a Wood DC jersey (both reds) for very reasonable pricing...about the same as it would have cost to just buy Edge authentics (but they would have been Indos, which weren’t as well made as the Canadian Edges).  The main appeal for me at the time was getting both players on a jersey template that I greatly preferred to the Adidas version.

I was in on the red DC Hischier (a white one that was issued but unworn was also available), but for some reason that one just got completely out of control...it went into the low $2k range before I finally said “Well fvck it, guess there’s somebody out there who REALLY wants it.”  Even his unworn white DC jersey went for a lot...I wanna say $900 or so.

DM84 used to post some auction results in the jersey threads, and there were often surprises from both a bargain and a “The winner paid THAT much for blah blah blah?!” standpoint. Just like Meigray’s pricing, not always much rhyme or reason as to GW costs.

EDIT:  was able to find the DC auction results...my Bratt went for $270 and my Wood for $230.  There were several “no bid” lots (obviously several of these players would never make the big club).  But you had some interesting players (like Blackwood, McLeod, Bastian and Zacha...not sure what numbers they wore) that went for under $200.  For some reason a white Zetterland sold for $310.  Hischier’s worn DC red wound up going for $2370, and unworn white for $870.  No other lots came anywhere near that...the next highest winning bid was $330, for a red Bastian.  

Obviously, NHL auctions are a whole different animal. While there’s crossover, there’s also a whole different set of people who don’t know what game worns sell for, and they get excited by the auction format and push the price up. 

I’ve never successfully bid on one of those auctions. 

Not sure about stuff that MeiGray auctions themselves, but those seem to be less frequent. 

So I looked through all the Devils GW’s on Meigray and that heritage Severson is kind of tempting...

I really want a RR though if I get another jersey, and the prices for those (preorder) are not so tempting lol. 

19 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So I looked through all the Devils GW’s on Meigray and that heritage Severson is kind of tempting...

I really want a RR though if I get another jersey, and the prices for those (preorder) are not so tempting lol. 

I know all things Hughes are going to cost a fortune (I did snag a GI white Hughes because at least I know it’s a legit NHL jersey), but with the RR Sharangovich going for $2495, I can only imagine what the price points are going to be for the second set of RRs.

48 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Obviously, NHL auctions are a whole different animal. While there’s crossover, there’s also a whole different set of people who don’t know what game worns sell for, and they get excited by the auction format and push the price up. 

I’ve never successfully bid on one of those auctions. 

Not sure about stuff that MeiGray auctions themselves, but those seem to be less frequent. 

Most of the auctions that I’ve been involved in have been Meigray auctions.  Going off the top of my head, the only non-Meigray auction lot that I bid on was for Palms’ first ASG black jersey (I won).  

56 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Well the Henrique makes a little sense because he was a fan favorite, plus “Henrique Its Over”. Even though they aren’t THAT jersey, he has a place in the team’s lore, so I can see how it would be more money. 

But to compare, shouldn’t Henrique be more than Zacha? And they’re both $995??

Henrique shouldn’t be more than Palms (I would say the jersey that he scored the “It’s over” goal would be a deserving exception), but you are right that, at this point, Henrique Devils GWs are probably worth more than Zacha Devils GWs.  But $995 does seem like a LOT for both players.

Of course, best time to buy is during the summer sale, when Meigray offers 35% off quite a few of their jerseys.  I’ve taken advantage of that a number of times...I wound up getting the McMullen Zacha for less than what the Edge Zachas are currently listed.

Meigray hooked me up a couple of times too...I offered to buy one white Edge Hall, one red Edge Hall and one Brodeur Night Zajac for $5k total, and they accepted the offer.  I forget exactly how much I saved, but it was a nice chunk.  

10 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Yeah no game worns for me either yet. The players I’d want to buy are waaaay too expensive. Jack’s GW’s go for over $5,000. Nico’s are going for over $4,000. That’s ridiculous.

Edited by MadDog2020
4 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

Yeah no game worns for me either yet. The players I’d want to buy are waaaay too expensive. Jack’s GW’s go for over $5,000. Nico’s are going for over $4,000. That’s ridiculous.

I saw a couple Hughes for $7500... 😮

If I get another jersey I’d probably want Ty Smith, but his are already quite pricey ($750 for preseason only). 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

I saw a couple Hughes for $7500... 😮

If I get another jersey I’d probably want Ty Smith, but his are already quite pricey ($750 for preseason only). 

Yeah Ty’s prices will continue to rise I’m sure. And the GW RR’s- you’ll have to second mortgage your house for one. Those prices are absurd. 

9 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

You can grab some Hischier GWs for about $3k (there’s a Heritage Hischier going for about $2.5k)...depends on what year you buy.  I’ve toyed with nabbing the Heritage, but the rest are definitely out of my price range.

These are the kinds of jerseys that you need to be very patient with...once they become eligible for the 35%-off summer sales, then the prices become less outrageous (still expensive, but less prohibitive, depending on your budget).  Good news is that they usually don’t move at the original price points...so once enough time has passed from the original posting season (think it’s three years), the eligible Hischier and Hughes types are usually still available.

The only thing that sucks is that Meigray can just decide not to make jerseys that technically should qualify for the 35% discount ineligible...some of it is at their discretion.

• Like 1
18 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

So what does a jersey worn by a player that scored a Cup clinching goal go for? Six figures??

Depends on the player and how it’s sold really.

A guy like, say, Ovechkin scoring a Cup-clincher, and that jersey going to auction?  Yeah, a jersey like that probably goes for six figures.

Obviously, people like us (those on this site) aren’t ever paying anywhere NEAR this kind of coin for a jersey.  My mental cutoff point for any single game worn has been around $2k, and I haven’t come close to that yet.  The two Halls and Brodeur Night Zajac for $5k was my most expensive plunge.  For me personally, I think more than $2k would just wreck the enjoyment.  Most of my purchases have been under $1k.  

The Sharangovich RR is oddly overpriced. The guy has 2 NHL goals and was priced WAY higher than other guys with much more experience, longevity, and results .

But if you are looking for an inexpensive entry into GW collecting, starting with the RR is probably not the way to go. 

Given that I am only collecting goalie cuts right now, my choices were Blackwood or whomever is backing him up during those games. Go big or go home, I guess. 

I figured I had some stuff to sell, and plenty of time to save the rest. Then my shocking upset in the office Super Bow pool also helped. But yes, it’s a deep dive into the pocket. 

So back to the current on-ice product (for now).

As much as I'm always hoping for my team to buck trends, to keep finding ways to win in spite of themselves (and the numbers that scream that the good fortune can only last for so long), it's hard not to expect that it's all going to even out.  Devils were getting slammed in scoring chances, high danger chances, and on special teams.  They were feasting on an insanely high even-strength save% for (was at .950, now down to .939...league average is .923), which helped them find ways to stay in and even steal games (and to their credit, they DO try, and I think overall they're well-coached.  I'm still happy with what Ruff is trying to do).

One thing that always bothered me about the Wilpon/Alderson Mets was that guys there often seemed to get endless chances, regardless of production.  For the Devils, I want to know what the hell nASS has done to keep hanging around...if he sticks around through the end of the season, fine, but the guy has been here long enough and no one has any idea what the hell he brings.

And hopefully this changes soon, but I'm really ready for the Devils to bring in an exclamation point-type of player...not necessarily a superstar or even a star, but a guy that you know should just come in and do his job...you know what you're getting, and that player simply gives it to you.  I know general circumstances drove much of how the Devils have done business in recent seasons, but at the same time, I'd like an offseason that wasn't mostly full of acquiring "if" players who MAYBE can turn into something more than expected...sure, sometimes it works out, as it did with Palms...I know fans are down on him at the moment, but he's been a solid, cost-effective scorer for several years, and this season isn't done yet.  But so many other moves of this type just haven't worked out as hoped lately...it feels like Johnsson and Goose are going to be the latest "Well maybe if they do this..." guys that pass on through and are quickly forgotten.  Murray (and the year before, Simmonds) were also the "cross your fingers" acquisitions that just don't turn into much.

It does feel like there's a decent base of youth here, and I'm still hopeful for the future.  And I'm not pretending that I want the Devils to go nuts trying to bring in expensive UFAs (many of whom don't want to come here anyway).  Guess I'd like to see a guy brought in who isn't an "if".  Some teams just seem to have a way of hitting on those kinds of players...hell, Lou in his heyday here was great at it.  But right now it feels like a lot of swings and misses.  

• Like 3

CR, the PK under Nas has been really good in general. I want him gone too, but between Lindy, Tom, Marty - they all kept him. So we'll see. 

I think a pure scoring talent is needed, we don't have a big gun. Holtz might be it, but we need more guys who have the chance to be that kind of player. Johnsson has been good, but he's not a first line player. Gusev hasn't panned out for the cost of 2 2nd rounders. 

Murray is different than Simmonds. He's still younger, and maybe he can find himself post-Covid, b/c he was really good before it. 

Expansion draft coming, we have a lot of cap space. Patience.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, HellOnICE said:

CR, the PK under Nas has been really good in general. I want him gone too, but between Lindy, Tom, Marty - they all kept him. So we'll see. 

I think a pure scoring talent is needed, we don't have a big gun. Holtz might be it, but we need more guys who have the chance to be that kind of player. Johnsson has been good, but he's not a first line player. Gusev hasn't panned out for the cost of 2 2nd rounders. 

Murray is different than Simmonds. He's still younger, and maybe he can find himself post-Covid, b/c he was really good before it. 

Expansion draft coming, we have a lot of cap space. Patience.

To be clear, I have no issues with the Devils having taken a shot with Goose.  But like I said, I'm just ready for a more definitive move. 

re:  Murray...exactly.  Maybe.  He's a guy who also misses a ton of games and was available for a 5th round pick.  Which brings me to another point...I think we often look at the relatively low prices paid for some of these players, and that makes them very easy to defend ("Well, it's only for a year, if it doesn't pan out"; "At least it didn't cost much in term or pieces"; etc).  I've often taken this viewpoint when defending several of these moves.  I understand why they're made, but I guess at this point, I'm finally ready for something more.  

I've been as patient as anyone here, and I remain so, mostly because it feels like there's some kids about to join the kids that are already here (I want to see what some of the yet-to-be-seen youth on D can do).  I'm a big believer in Nico, Jack, and Mac.  Love what I've seen out of Smith.  There's reason for hope, though not going to lie, I'm concerned about Holtz.  

Re:  cap space, we've been saying that for how many years.  Not that I think they should just spend up to it, willy-nilly...the good news is that the Devils are going to have NO issues signing those who should earn big raises (Hughes, Smith, Mac, and maybe even Zacha at this point...still early to tell).  But I can't make a big deal out of the Devils having cap space, when it comes to making a move for a big-name, expensive player...the only time that I've really seen them do that was for PK...I guess if anything, that move at least gives the impression that they could make a move for a big existing contract.  Just hope that if it happens again, it's not for someone that isn't showing signs of decline.

• Like 1
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Just hope that if it happens again, it's not for someone that isn't showing signs of decline.

I hope that also, but guys that are signed to big deals that are NOT in decline are, most often, not available unless the current team has a cap crisis, and even then, they usually try to offload someone else rather than their non-declining high priced star. 

Remember how people were saying we should offer sheet Marner because there was no way Toronto could afford him?

Edited by mfitz804
2 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I hope that also, but guys that are signed to big deals that are NOT in decline are, most often, not available unless the current team has a cap crisis, and even then, they usually try to offload someone else rather than their non-declining high priced star. 

Remember how people were saying we should offer sheet Marner because there was no way Toronto could afford him?

Can't argue that it's not easy to hit home runs with that kind of trade...yeah, you hope for a cap crunch (or a player who's simply decided that he wants out), and at the very least, hope to grab a solid "offload" player.  MoJo had the look of being a successful kind of that deal (especially coming off his most productive season), but sadly didn't work out...and in his case, he hasn't done much since being dealt from the Caps (for four teams no less).

The offer sheet crap is just that...crap.  Rarely ever happens, the teams almost always match, and then the team that made the offer is seen as a bad guy, even though there's offer sheet rules in place.  Even talking about that as a possibility for team flush with cap space (like the Devils) is a waste of time, because it will never fvcking happen. 

• Like 1

Of course it would take a game worn discussion to bring me out of my self-imposed exile.  I will probably regret this.

Meigray prices as the jerseys come in every season.  They rarely go back and change the pricing unless the items have literally been sitting there forever.  That's why you see Pavel's older jerseys being more expensive than the new ones.  They have been better though at going back and updating the pricing.

Popularity is a big part as to why jerseys are priced at what they are.  The more popular the player, the more the price is.  That is why the Henrique's are still at $995.

Items like patches also affect the price.  The Palms at $795 has the NHL 100 patch while the others do not.

Meigray's discount during their sales is now 30% off 2 seasons+ prior jerseys, not 35%.

When I was called by Meigray to reserve my RR a week before the season started, cheapest was $995.  They were for guys like Tennyson.  Next was $1250 for guys like Kulikov.  Bratt was $1495.  Palms was $2495.  I did indeed reserve one.

Devils are doing 2 sets for the RR; 3 games each.  The first set is almost completely sold out and likely set 2 will be sold out as well.

The Hull 1999 game 6 OT cup-clinching GW jersey is up in Heritage auctions I believe right now.  That is either the 3rd or 4th time I have seen that up in auction in the past 3-4 years.  It typically sells in the $10-30K range (Edit: Looks like it just sold the other day for $48K after buyer's premium  Sold in 2015 for just under $38K and in 2020 sold for $23K).

I have gotten a bunch of new GW jerseys in the 10 weeks, but I don't think anyone here will care anyways.

Bye.

Edited by DevsMan84
  • Like 1