Jump to content

New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season


Recommended Posts

Talking about bringing up young d men, I was always surprised back in 2000 when Colin White came up in March, played 21 regular season games and 25 post season games. So I looked his record up. Colin played over 200 games in Albany waiting for that opportunity. Ty Smith will not have that kind of time to learn his trade, apparently. Not sure if Nas is the best coach to bring him along, though.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 246
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dare I say he’s.... jacked? 🤪

There's also a chance what we find at 18 or 20 could be something special too considering the depth of the draft. I wouldn't expect them to really affect anything for a few years though. I hope whoeve

Saw it mentioned on HF today that apparently the Devils strength and conditioning coach happens to live in Hughes hometown, and he’s been in constant contact with him, and Jack’s local guy. I’m trying

Posted Images

3 hours ago, point said:

Talking about bringing up young d men, I was always surprised back in 2000 when Colin White came up in March, played 21 regular season games and 25 post season games. So I looked his record up. Colin played over 200 games in Albany waiting for that opportunity. Ty Smith will not have that kind of time to learn his trade, apparently. Not sure if Nas is the best coach to bring him along, though.

My thoughts on Nas are well documented here so lets just say I agree with you.

White apparently was a huge part of keeping Gomez well out of trouble during that 2000 season. He told the story on Chiclets and again on Cam and Strick about getting tossed out of a bar by some bouncer and Whitey saving the day

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently Jesper Bratt is eating breakfast at a Taste of Belgium in Cincinnati Ohio. Holy sh!t this kid i just saw is his straight up doppelgänger. It’s eerie. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

So these guys who apparently had enough money to put a bid in on the Mets are going to cheap out on 2020-21?  Not that the franchise should spend recklessly for the sake of doing so, and we've seen the Devils ice some capped-out teams that weren't great by any stretch, and should this mean more money down the line for in-house talent that should be kept, so be it...but something about this isn't thrilling me.  It's definitely giving those who claim that the team has been sitting on cap space for sake of doing so some ammo.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

So these guys who apparently had enough money to put a bid in on the Mets are going to cheap out on 2020-21?  Not that the franchise should spend recklessly for the sake of doing so, and we've seen the Devils ice some capped-out teams that weren't great by any stretch, and should this mean more money down the line for in-house talent that should be kept, so be it...but something about this isn't thrilling me.  It's definitely giving those who claim that the team has been sitting on cap space for sake of doing so some ammo.  

I will say this: no fans in the stands impacts that. The NHL is a gate league. No gate, revenue league-wide is down big-time. So while it doesn’t thrill me either, I’m not really surprised.

Edited by MadDog2020
Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s irritating to hear, but I’m sure most teams do this. Personally, I’m in the “spend to the cap” camp if it’s going to work. Leaving money on the table and having a sh!tty team is irritating. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Considering the team likely isn't going to contend anyway and they now have to pay Schneider and PK insane amounts of money for a few years.... I don't blame them. 

EDIT: On the other hand I guess the team isn't leveraging the cap space by taking on some bad contracts then. 

Edited by NJDevils1214
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I will say this: no fans in the stands impacts that. The NHL is a gate league. No gate, revenue league-wide is down big-time. So while it doesn’t thrill me either, I’m not really surprised.

Yeah that's fair.  Suffice it to say it's a sh!tty time to be a UFA.  I get the feeling we're going to see a lot of one and two-year deals, with the hope that teams will be able to spend later.

26 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Considering the team likely isn't going to contend anyway and they now have to pay Schneider and PK insane amounts of money for a few years.... I don't blame them. 

EDIT: On the other hand I guess the team isn't leveraging the cap space by taking on some bad contracts then. 

Only a couple more years for each player...that's a good thing, but man are the Devils going to have a hell of a lot to spend down the line.  Only player signed beyond 2022-23 is Nico.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Considering the team likely isn't going to contend anyway and they now have to pay Schneider and PK insane amounts of money for a few years.... I don't blame them. 

EDIT: On the other hand I guess the team isn't leveraging the cap space by taking on some bad contracts then. 

And on yet another hand, one thing that would make us closer to competing is having more guys that are expensive and good, rather than having cap space and our most expensive guys have been awful. 

Just sayin’. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mfitz804 said:

And on yet another hand, one thing that would make us closer to competing is having more guys that are expensive and good, rather than having cap space and our most expensive guys have been awful. 

Just sayin’. 

Let's sign Hall. He's expensive.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

I said “expensive and good”. 

Are we at the point where we can turn our nose up at 50+ point players because they aren't "good" enough? That would have lead the team this year lol. 

It makes more sense to wait until all these young players start to hit their stride before they go spending assloads of money just because they can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, NJDevils1214 said:

Are we at the point where we can turn our nose up at 50+ point players because they aren't "good" enough? That would have lead the team this year lol. 

It makes more sense to wait until all these young players start to hit their stride before they go spending assloads of money just because they can. 

Again, good AND expensive. 

Should we turn our noses up at him? Obviously not. But we are definitely at a point where we shouldn't pay into 8 figures a year to a guy who is a 50+ point player with a career 14 games of playoff experience. I'd be happy to have Hall back (assuming he wanted to come back, which he doesn't), but nowhere near the $11-12m people were expecting him to get.

That was pretty much my exact point. I want to have a Tavares/Marner type contract, where you get the production that goes with the price tag. Not paying $9m for PK Subban's ghost.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, good AND expensive. 

Should we turn our noses up at him? Obviously not. But we are definitely at a point where we shouldn't pay into 8 figures a year to a guy who is a 50+ point player with a career 14 games of playoff experience. I'd be happy to have Hall back (assuming he wanted to come back, which he doesn't), but nowhere near the $11-12m people were expecting him to get.

That was pretty much my exact point. I want to have a Tavares/Marner type contract, where you get the production that goes with the price tag. Not paying $9m for PK Subban's ghost.

I was initially being tongue and cheek about signing Hall, but then I was playing devils advocate. I agree with you that Hall isn't worth it.

I'd rather the team end up in a situation like Colorado where all their top end talent is locked up in great team friendly deals with a ton of space left over rather than Vancouver with a ton of expensive dead weight at a time where their future talent is still developing.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, mfitz804 said:

Again, good AND expensive. 

Should we turn our noses up at him? Obviously not. But we are definitely at a point where we shouldn't pay into 8 figures a year to a guy who is a 50+ point player with a career 14 games of playoff experience. I'd be happy to have Hall back (assuming he wanted to come back, which he doesn't), but nowhere near the $11-12m people were expecting him to get.

That was pretty much my exact point. I want to have a Tavares/Marner type contract, where you get the production that goes with the price tag. Not paying $9m for PK Subban's ghost.

Those level talents only sign with NY or TOR in FA. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

how's that working out for them though? lol

Let’s not pretend we wouldn’t take at least making the playoffs consistently at this point. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SterioDesign said:

Yes but we need much more than just one top player to achieve that

Which is why it sucks we can’t land them at will like those markets can. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Nicomo said:

Which is why it sucks we can’t land them at will like those markets can. 

for sure but i really think if we want to be successful we need to build from within. our core is very young so having that core getting in its prime all at the same time is our best bet

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SterioDesign said:

for sure but i really think if we want to be successful we need to build from within. our core is very young so having that core getting in its prime all at the same time is our best bet

Sure, that’s great if it works out. But improving the team short term, so that we have some success and people can see we are a decent organization, that would be a good thing. Maybe if you do that, you get the better free agents. Or you re-sign a guy after a trade. Or you get the better coaches. And so on. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Nicomo said:

Those level talents only sign with NY or TOR in FA. 

Not to mention quite a few of them stay put before they even hit UFA.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, mfitz804 said:

Sure, that’s great if it works out. But improving the team short term, so that we have some success and people can see we are a decent organization, that would be a good thing. Maybe if you do that, you get the better free agents. Or you re-sign a guy after a trade. Or you get the better coaches. And so on. 

Well that's a given but it's hard to pull off. Signing a top free agent around 28 years old for 7-8 years and that his prime years doesn't align with our young core then by when they are in their prime that other player is declining and clogging your cap.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.