New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

mfitz804

24 minutes ago, DevsMan84 said:

Since 3/1/21 with W-L-OTL-SOL:

Devils: 7-18-2-2   -  18 points and .310 win %

Sabres: 6-17-2-3  -  17 points and .304 win %

It's a race to the bottom!

Probably not what Scott Stevens had in mind...

1LzY5eRC8w54T1V5GgoI-2g_BEmYSqqyu8WvHhzq

5 hours ago, titans04 said:

And of course, no one outside of seven people on planet earth can know what his injury is, because it’s obviously classified information our opponents must never find out, because that may give them a competitive edge! 🙄

3 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

And of course, no one outside of seven people on planet earth can know what his injury is, because it’s obviously classified information our opponents must never find out, because that may give them a competitive edge! 🙄

If I were in charge, I would just post funny reasons. Ty Smith had a traumatic frontal wedgie and is day to day. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, RunninWithTheDevil said:

Today in history:

https://youtu.be/zvvl8BxA5FE

It's a shame that most of the Devils' recent star players left the organization on such negative terms (Parise, Kovalchuk, Hall). Kovalchuk really was a special player and was so fun to watch. It's too bad he is mostly associated with his abrupt retirement, even if it ended up for the better in the long run. He really contributed so much to a great playoffs run.

Edited by nessus
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Gunslinger27 said:

I thought Colton played well yesterday. Hopefully see another young D man come up and play some.

Whoa, and take away time from the ever deserving, completely not a useless pylon Tennyson... that's some crazy talk right there....

5 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Whoa, and take away time from the ever deserving, completely not a useless pylon Tennyson... that's some crazy talk right there....

Yea, thats right, Yea the Defense sniper, who finally scored. I means he's been saving it up since 2015, lol 😆

Fitz either intentionally undermined Ruff by keeping the dipsh!t nASS, or he was too stupid to realize he was undermining him by keeping a loser on the staff he was supposed to overhaul. You cannot convince me otherwise.

I’m not typing my full defense of this theory but the evidence is damning.

38 minutes ago, jagknife said:

Fitz either intentionally undermined Ruff by keeping the dipsh!t nASS, or he was too stupid to realize he was undermining him by keeping a loser on the staff he was supposed to overhaul. You cannot convince me otherwise.

I’m not typing my full defense of this theory but the evidence is damning.

As far as this goes, I still think it was that 19-12-7 finish to last season that led Fitz and others to believe that nASS had something going on.  That was built primarily on Blackwood being terrific for much of that stretch (and other goalies also playing well at times).  

28 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

As far as this goes, I still think it was that 19-12-7 finish to last season that led Fitz and others to believe that nASS had something going on.  That was built primarily on Blackwood being terrific for much of that stretch (and other goalies also playing well at times).  

Usually I read your replies and realize I’m off the rails, but this time I don’t have that feeling.

If you’re correct, however, Fitz isn’t our guy either. He failed to look at the entire body of work and the consistent shortcomings time after freaking time. This season should be the nail in the coffin, that turd should be long freaking gone the second the last horn goes in a few weeks. If he’s still allowed to continue to pollute the already suspect defense with his incompetence, I want Fitz gone too.

I get he (nASS) doesn’t have much we’d call talent or experience combined, but his strategies absolutely blow donkey d—-. 

Fitz either needs to nail this off-season, or he can be the next one to go too. My patience for incompetence with this team is now nil.

I try to stay away from the boards when it gets real bad like this / when I feel myself getting apathetic and/or really down on the team, because the forum doesn't need one more person whining about how the sky is falling and all that.

But I don't know how you go into next year with this coaching staff intact.  Give Ruff another season if you want, whatever - but the special teams being HORRENDOUS all year and the team looking lost on defense just begs for the assistants to be cleaned out.

Guys they're on pace for 60 POINTS over an 82 game schedule.  I'm not a history buff having only really started following the team in the late 90s/early 2000s, but this would appear to be the worst season in franchise history.  Neck-and-neck with the first season in NJ in 1985-1986.

There's understanding where you're at and selling at the deadline to ensure a better draft pick, and then there's the franchise completely losing itself in a losing culture.  I'm not trying to be hyperbolic here but are we really any better off than the Sabres right now, a team that the entire league points and laughs at regularly?  You know what, I'm damn thankful for the Sabres this year because if they weren't a lightning rod for all negative attention we'd be the laughing stock of the league.

Edited by Devilsfan118

10 minutes ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

Guys.... Sure losing sucks, but just think of the great positioning we'll have for the next few drafts. I hear 2025 might have some good wingers in the top 10. 

It sucks that our current team tradition is to start looking at mock drafts in December of every year.

18 minutes ago, MadDog2020 said:

The first season here was 1982-83.

Clearly showing me lack of historical knowledge here :lol:, was going off the list here:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/teams/NJD/history.html

I'm not sure why why they omit those first few seasons.

Edit: I'm an idiot, I misunderstood their table formatting.  I see the other seasons now at the bottom.  This is indeed not the worst season in franchise history, but damn it's... too close for comfort.

Edited by Devilsfan118
  • Like 1

I've been a fan since the second I read New Jersey was getting a hockey team and using New Jersey as the name. Those first three seasons were dreadful. It was tough being a teenager with plenty of Rags fans around. 

I had been saying in almost every season this decade that those first few years were so much worse than now.  I'm not saying that about this year, it's in the running. 

Still, it's tough to gauge this season with all of the variables that come with it. I'm just glad it is almost over and I'm still looking forward to next year.

• Thanks 1