New Jersey Devils 2020(ish)-2021 Season

6 hours ago, devlman said:

Can’t be true. Otherwise why then was he fvcking hired to begin with? Bail on a coach you just hired? Can’t be underperforming or anything like that, so it’s probably just Brooksie making sh!t up again.

I mean, “gap coaches” in sports absolutely exist...if there are no ideal options and you know you’re going to suck the next year or two anyway, hire someone who will start to establish a culture and then fire him for your top choice right before your fortunes take a turn.

kinda like the yankees with schowalter. 

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I agree. An unstable poster from another forum that upset our unstable posters.

i will donate $5 to the website if you literally never do this again. 

Dare I say he’s.... jacked? 🤪

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, MB3 said:

I mean, “gap coaches” in sports absolutely exist...if there are no ideal options and you know you’re going to suck the next year or two anyway, hire someone who will start to establish a culture and then fire him for your top choice right before your fortunes take a turn.

And, add to that we don’t really know how long Ruff is under contract for. I can’t imagine it was a one year deal but who knows. 

Posted (edited)

If they want to hire Swedish guy, they can give him assistant job for the beginning. Successful or not, Ruff is very experienced guy and that move can help Gronborg.

Edited by Guadana
  • Haha 1

I wouldn't be surprised about Ruff.  At best he was their 3rd choice after Gallant said he had no interest in the Devils coaching job and Laviollette said he would do it for a lot of money and term.

2 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

I wouldn't be surprised about Ruff.  At best he was their 3rd choice after Gallant said he had no interest in the Devils coaching job and Laviollette said he would do it for a lot of money and term.

did this happen? according to who?

2 hours ago, MB3 said:

did this happen? according to who?

I read it a few months ago from one of those insiders who is actually reliable.  I can't remember which one though.

I 100% believe it regardless.

1 hour ago, MadDog2020 said:

I completely forgot that TimeWarner no longer owned AOL and forgot Verizon owned them and Yahoo.  I still have a yahoo email address that use to put down on promotions/contests that I don't want people/companies to send to my real one.

Call me old-school, but I still kinda miss AIM.  Those were the days.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

Come to think of it, he was a perfect "could go either way" hire...good enough in that he had a ton of experience and a winning point% as a head coach and enough success to command some respect, but not owning a resume so amazing that the Devils letting him go after one season would seem like a major travesty, if the season went badly enough.  We don't know how long his contract was, but I'm guessing it might have only been for a couple of years...I don't remember him being in very high demand when the Devils hired him.

I would still be shocked by a move like that though...if anything (pure speculation on my part), I could see something happening behind the scenes, where Ruff "resigns" (I wonder how thrilled he was to have nASS on his staff).  Even if some fans aren't fully sold on him (I can understand why), I'm not sure how much of this season really falls on him.  Unless there's this "gotta have him" candidate out there who's available and who definitely wants to come here, I'd give Ruff another shot, with some new assistant coaches.    

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, Colorado Rockies 1976 said:

Come to think of it, he was a perfect "could go either way" hire...good enough in that he had a ton of experience and a winning point% as a head coach and enough success to command some respect, but not owning a resume so amazing that the Devils letting him go after one season would seem like a major travesty, if the season went badly enough.  We don't know how long his contract was, but I'm guessing it might have only been for a couple of years...I don't remember him being in very high demand when the Devils hired him.

I would still be shocked by a move like that though...if anything (pure speculation on my part), I could see something happening behind the scenes, where Ruff "resigns" (I wonder how thrilled he was to have nASS on his staff).  Even if some fans aren't fully sold on him (I can understand why), I'm not sure how much of this season really falls on him.  Unless there's this "gotta have him" candidate out there who's available and who definitely wants to come here, I'd give Ruff another shot, with some new assistant coaches.    

While I wouldn't put the season on Ruff's shoulders, I guess how much is on him depends on if Nass and Recchi were his choices, or choices that was forced on him by Fitz and/or ownership.

I really look forward to the day when Nass is no longer behind the bench.  I would take literally anyone over him right now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
29 minutes ago, moustic said:

Rikard Grönborg IS the solution... 

I think we were interested in him, but he couldn’t come over here because he was under contract still with his current team in Europe or something. 

If anyone can bork the bork out of our power-play, it’s that guy.

1 hour ago, DevsMan84 said:

I read it a few months ago from one of those insiders who is actually reliable.  I can't remember which one though.

I 100% believe it regardless.

A quick google search and I can't find a single thing about it. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to wait around and coach another expansion team, considering how well it went the first time, but I'm pretty in tune with Devils news and it sorta feels like you just made that up lol.

4 minutes ago, MB3 said:

A quick google search and I can't find a single thing about it. It wouldn't surprise me if he wanted to wait around and coach another expansion team, considering how well it went the first time, but I'm pretty in tune with Devils news and it sorta feels like you just made that up lol.

I don’t know if it’s true, but that was certainly the narrative at the time.

4 hours ago, MadDog2020 said:

I think we were interested in him, but he couldn’t come over here because he was under contract still with his current team in Europe or something. 

I keep seeing his name come up. What's the deal with him? Why does everyone seem to think he's a sure thing?

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Devil Dan 56 said:

I keep seeing his name come up. What's the deal with him? Why does everyone seem to think he's a sure thing?

I’m not saying anyone thinks he’s a ‘sure thing’, but he’s a highly regarded coach. He’s not a retread either, so that’s also something I guess. 

Edited by MadDog2020
Posted (edited)

i really think that Ruff was just a stopgap for Gronborg. Makes perfect sense for everyone involved.

Let's say they knew they wanted him. But he wasn't available for another season or 2. Well the team was not going to be competing anyway. So you get a guy with experience like ruff. It's even something Ruff might have been okay with. He was probably not going to get another coaching job in the NHL at the time anyway. So that's keeping him afloat. Then he still has a chance that if things go well that he can keep his job or just get an assistant coach job or something

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nhl/news/devils-reportedly-contacted-swedish-coach-rikard-gronborg-head-coaching-position/u2pvouel2c0w1q1rl7prhupkp

Edited by SterioDesign
7 hours ago, MB3 said:

I think it's pretty safe to say that if he would have wanted to coach NJ. He would have taken the job. They interviewed him and he didnt coach this year so he literally decided to not have a job over taking one in NJ.

Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, MB3 said:

What's the sense in firing a 'bridge coach' before the bridge has even been crossed?  It's not like another coach is going to get the Devils to win next year unless they make major changes this offseason and Lindy's won enough in his career where I don't think you have to consider him a bridge until and if you're a playoff team and want to be a title team, which is way down the road.  We're still on the rebuilding to playoff team road.

Maybe if they commit to Fitz long-term this offseason (since he's only on a one-year GM deal) they're letting him hire his coach?  Even though he was the interim at the time, I'm not sure he actually hired Ruff given they were announced as a package deal at the same time.

Edited by NJDevs4978
20 hours ago, MB3 said:

So you think that the Devils didn't even kick the tires on Gallant even though they interviewed both Ruff and Laviollette?  Interesting take.

4 hours ago, DevsMan84 said:

So you think that the Devils didn't even kick the tires on Gallant even though they interviewed both Ruff and Laviollette?  Interesting take.

What? How do you continuously invent things that haven’t been said? 

The Devils talked to Gallant. I think he would’ve been a great fit. “Gallant had absolutely no interest in the job” is something you presumably invented, since there are fifty other reasons why they could’ve gone in a different direction. 

14 hours ago, MB3 said:

What? How do you continuously invent things that haven’t been said? 

The Devils talked to Gallant. I think he would’ve been a great fit. “Gallant had absolutely no interest in the job” is something you presumably invented, since there are fifty other reasons why they could’ve gone in a different direction. 

Oh FFS here you go again with your overly dramatic exaggerations and hyperbole schtick you have been putting on for as long as I have been on here.  LOL @ "continuously invented" like I am constantly lying.

What's not invented is how many members (especially new ones) you have driven off this website over the years with your behavior towards them.  That glenwo guy was not the first one by a good margin.